1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Motorcycles BS Thread 2.0

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by Sacrifice, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Jun 18, 2021 at 3:44 PM
    Fulton246

Fulton246 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    It's not just the tank. The frame is scratched, as is the left side engine cover and fork tube. The front cowl is also mangled on the left and the right, which tells me it has probably been down more than once. I like my bikes to be in pristine condition. It would take too much to get that SV back in proper form.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    w.adventures likes this.
  2. Jun 18, 2021 at 3:51 PM
    Doc Samson

Doc Samson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Almost NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD Sport
    None... yet.
    I do. After reading a few articles about motorcycle and shooting range mishaps, I put together a very basic trauma kit... and band-aids for the boo-boos.

My main issue is - Can I keep from passing out if there is a lot of blood or visible bone? I just finished a brief trauma class that our school had and forced myself to look at all the mangled limbs on the PP presentation. Still felt a little lightheaded... :anonymous: :rofl:

Scrovak[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Jun 18, 2021 at 5:47 PM
    MagtechPA

MagtechPA Thor

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Swapping the functional parts and linkage from the old carbs onto the carbs that I rebuilt last summer. One step closer to getting my little project Ninja in running condition.

F6B972D8-3CC6-47FA-9E88-853648309FD8.jpg

SliMbo4.0, Bushed, Redeemed and 2 others like this.
  4. Jun 18, 2021 at 6:04 PM
    Scrovak

Scrovak Ask me about TacoBomba's tonneau cover

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Taco TRD Offroad
    Yeah, I hear you. I was asking because I was in one of those wrecks just last month and could have used one. I'll probably be posting a write-up here when I can work myself up to it. Suffice to say, don't doubt the ability of adrenaline, and call to purpose, to push you when you need it to.

kidsmoke and Doc Samson[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Jun 18, 2021 at 6:15 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    Glad you can still be here posting if you were in a wreck bad enough to likely need a tourniquet.

6. Jun 18, 2021 at 6:21 PM
    Scrovak

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, me too.

RIP my 05 Suzuki SV1000SK3

spencermarkd likes this.
  7. Jun 18, 2021 at 6:22 PM
    GHOST SHIP

GHOST SHIP hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    Adrenaline is amazing. I had a wreck almost 10 years ago on the highway when an accord driver decided he wanted to occupy the same space as me. Slid down the freeway at 65 mph after tumbling a good bit. When I finally came to a stop, I knew I was beat up but I didn’t feel a thing (pain). Tried to stand up and my knee buckled (I broke it in the crash). I didn’t notice the road rash until a bystander said, “Shit bro. Your arm.” I’m fairly dark skinned but my arm from elbow to wrist was worn down to the fatty tissue so it was pure white. I had other injuries that I didn’t notice until I got to the hospital and even when they were cleaning and washing everything out I still didn’t feel anything. The next three days were the worst pain I’d ever felt in my life and it felt like I got hit by a Honda.

8. Jun 18, 2021 at 6:34 PM
    Scrovak

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    The road rash is definitely the worst part. Healing, waking up in the middle of the night to roll over and having to slowly peel your flesh away from the sheets. Jumps the heart rate enough that it makes it harder to fall back to sleep

9. Jun 18, 2021 at 6:56 PM
    GHOST SHIP

GHOST SHIP hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    Hang in there. The healing process is a pain for everyone but patience is a universal requirement. Definitely let it all air dry but keep it semi-moist and flexible with neosporin to prevent the scab from cracking open again. Especially along the edges so they don’t lift and peel.

10. Jun 18, 2021 at 7:00 PM
    Scrovak

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    I'm past that part now, mostly musculo-skeletal injuries left. One dentist I had to see for my side job gave me some sort of ozonated oil, that stuff was phenomenal.

11. Jun 18, 2021 at 7:44 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    One in my trauma kit in the truck, one in the trauma kit in the Runner, have one on the way to keep on the bike (when I find a bag I like).

Always keep some basics around. Came in handy a week ago when a kid had a bad head injury!

Doc Samson and Scrovak[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Jun 18, 2021 at 7:46 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires

You’d be surprised what you may be able to do in the moment. I was a CLS Marine (just means a little medical training) and have had some buddies hurt pretty bad. Crazy stuff! I still (at home) get squeamish at little tiny stuff haha.

kidsmoke and Doc Samson[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Jun 18, 2021 at 8:18 PM
    Scrovak

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    I had been trying to find a way to keep one on my vest. I hadn't figured it out yet. I wish I had figured it out before riding that day, but lessons learned...

14. Jun 18, 2021 at 8:33 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    If you Google “tourniquet holder” or the like you’ll find there are tons of options for straps, cases, pouches, holders, etc.

I carry a CAT for 99% of applications and a RATs for specialty applications, self/upper/small kid, etc. but would recommend some training before using the latter as you can do some damage if used incorrectly.

Still done have either on the bike, but intend to as soon as I can find or makeshift a handlebar or tank bag I can live with daily.

15. Jun 18, 2021 at 8:45 PM
    Artruck

Artruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 Super Basic
    I carry a first aid kit plus a few little extras. I have used a tourniquet just once, and I hope to never use it again. I was taught that any time you put one one it’s with the expectation everything distal is not going to stay after this injury. That was the case with the time I used it, and the few times I have had people say something about them, elevation and pressure on blood vessels higher up has done the trick.

16. Jun 18, 2021 at 9:02 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    That's an interesting thing they were teaching since Tournaquits have been used so heavily to stop the bleeding of those who have lost limbs from IEDs. I know civilian world injuries rarely replicate battlefield ones in the good old USofA. Perhaps they just meant, hey, the point of this is to save this person AND their limb, so don't make things worse and make them lose it!

Elevation and pressure is good advice, too! Man, is there a good thread based on just this stuff? :) I will say, don't elevate the legs if there is a bleeding head injury haha. We were stretchering a guy off a hike who took a tree branch to the head and they kept elevating his legs when we stopped and yelling at me for putting his legs down. Well the blood was rushing to his head . . . where he was bleeding from! He's okay, long time ago, just remembered the story ha.

We need a first aid / trauma / etc. thread to share stories/advice/good training resources.

Artruck[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Jun 18, 2021 at 9:26 PM
    spencermarkd

spencermarkd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Pullman, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 Driftwood Pearl 4Runner
    Six and a half hours of riding, seven and a half hours total, 360 miles, temps from 95 to 58 and my ass is surprisingly not sore! Bagged another pass on Rever, too.

0A11B373-9FC5-4043-8D72-6598B65B8F3F.jpg

18. Jun 19, 2021 at 4:34 AM
    amRRussel

amRRussel A guy with a truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access 4banger 4x4
    Driver Mod
  19. Jun 19, 2021 at 5:49 AM
    Scrovak

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Honestly, it depends on the injury. If you have a missing limb, arterial spraying, or severe damage enough that you can't stop the bleeding, TQ. In the end it comes down to your specific training; I do NOT recomend anyone using a TQ who has not had at least a first aid class.

The reason they say that about distal is because the idea of a TQ is to save the life, not the limb. Very often, they're able to save the limb anyway, but it's designed to cut off most, if not all, blood flow to the exremity which has obvious negative effects on the physiology. If you're in a situation where someone could be bleeding out, and you have the training, it's better to save their life than their leg.

So battlefield injuries don't necessarily have to be replicated to warrant TQ. Sudden limb loss in a motorcycle or automobile accident, for example, is a perfect reason to apply one. You don't necessarily have to be shot or blown up to need a TQ. Traditionally the rule is that the closer you get to 10hrs with a tq on, the greater the chance the person woll lose everything below the TQ. In Afghanistan, this can be a pretty serious concern. Here in the US, chance are you'll be in a hospital long before you approach that window, and the TQ qon't have a say in whether the limb stays, that will be determined more by the trauma and condition of the limb.

Interesting about the stretcher. Are you medically trained, by any chance? Because I could see both sides - elevating legs to keep blood to the head because sure, that may be where he's bleeding, but that's also where blood is needed most. Generally, when you're elevating a limb, it's to prevent blood loss there, but things like shock and consciousness become factors. You don't want to be the reason for your AVPU shift lol

20. Jun 19, 2021 at 9:48 AM
    Bushed

Bushed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kenora, ON
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRD OR - Sold
    Cambridge Metals and Plastics Bed Bar
    Thought about it. Called and emailed several dealers. Was going to put a deposit down at one of the few that were getting them in stock this year. Most weren't, and the one that was, was only getting 2 of the 10 they had ordered. I'm not sure what's going on up this side of the border, but it seems like every 2022 Canadian Grom that I was quotes on was the tri-color, which I take as being the pearl white SP. I know that it's probably just a sticker package that I could peel off, and the panels themselves are easily changeable, or I could just get a vinyl kit, but the graphics on the SP were enough to convince me not to get a Grom this year. Logic as well said that if it was going to be my only bike, to go with something with a little more oomph. Went with a CB300R, and so far, loving it.

Having said all that, if I had an OG or a SF Grom, I probably wouldn't upgrade. But if I was looking to get a Grom, considering the 5-speed, the changeable oil filter, the removable sub frame, and the current cost of used Grom's, the 2022 is a definite upgrade and would be the one to get in my books.

Products Discussed in

To Top