1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Motorcycles BS Thread 2.0

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by Sacrifice, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Dec 3, 2023 at 7:27 AM
    Built2Ride

Built2Ride Who wants to ride out?! PM Me.

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 TacoTRDPro, ‘18 T4RTRDPro, ‘12 Tundra, ‘07 FJC
    All my rigs are purpose built. From crawling to camping. I also enjoy a nice stock truck for what that’s worth. Toyota’s are the jam!
    @but why tho congrats brutha! Sweet looking ride right there. I also like those graphics on it. I am sure you will enjoy it, much like the FJR and a few others they haven’t changed much over the years. That being said, you know you have something that was a solid build from its conception.
    I think you made a very wise choice, and for the money you will get a serious amount of use. They can handle luggage well!

but why tho and 50Buck like this.
  2. Dec 3, 2023 at 7:31 AM
    Built2Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    All my rigs are purpose built. From crawling to camping. I also enjoy a nice stock truck for what that’s worth. Toyota’s are the jam!
    On a shitty note, my best friends Ram TRX was stolen out of his driveway. Must have been some serious pros, as they were able to get mimic his key fob and get past his tracking device.

Thieves suck. I had a kid try and take one of my bikes once. He was quickly taught a lesson from my hog hunting dog Huck.

50Buck and woodtickgreg like this.
  3. Dec 3, 2023 at 7:36 AM
    50Buck

50Buck Living rent free Timmy the Tool's head

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2024 Ferd F150 XLT, 2019 Yamaha Super Tenéré
    Thieves suck. Understatement. In today's ever declining society I worry about this with my push button start on the Tacoma. Makes me just want to be a hermit in the woods.

woodtickgreg likes this.
  4. Dec 3, 2023 at 7:44 AM
    ridefreak

ridefreak Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB TRD
    minor tweaks
    Getting past the manufacturers antitheft on a dodge isn't rocket science, the ease in which they can grab them is one of the reasons the Challenger is such a popular theft item. As for the tracker, they just park them in a building with a metal roof and 99% of the time the tracker will never reach a satellite. Put it in a shipping container and it's almost guaranteed.

5. Dec 3, 2023 at 7:47 AM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    It's not just dodge that's easy. Any of the smart door/pushbutton start FOBs can be cloned if somebody just has the technical know how. It's easy to drive it away at that point. It's also not uncommon for thieves to use a tow setup to steal high value vehicles. They can then take their time to clone or hack their way into starting it up.

ridefreak[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Dec 3, 2023 at 7:58 AM
    ridefreak

ridefreak Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB TRD
    minor tweaks
    With the dodges they also swap out a hacked ECUs or what ever handshakes with the code in the FOB, a dealership lost $400K in new Dodges in one night this way. You're correct though, they also stand on the other side of the front door and try and read the FOB's signal to clone it. One should probably should put their keys in a faraday box overnight if you have a high theft vehicle.

50Buck[QUOTED] and Built2Ride like this.
  7. Dec 3, 2023 at 8:06 AM
    Built2Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, sucks for my buddy. But he had insurance and does live in downtown ATL.

The chances of him getting railed home and robbed were pretty good. He even said that he prepared himself for such an event mentally.

Out of site is out of mind. Living in the middle of the forest helps for sure. I have made all the provisions to stop thieves and I have in the past.

I told him that the reality is, the people that are willing to take his truck were also willing to take his life.
    I for one was glad he didn’t confront them, he and I are close and no object is worth your life.

He has decided to move, which is a good thing. He is my old riding buddy and I want him to come up my way :)

8. Dec 3, 2023 at 8:16 AM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Faradays and turning off the FOB are the best bet. Possibly something like a ravelco could help, but nothing stops the tow thefts. It just gets hauled away.

9. Dec 3, 2023 at 8:19 AM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Theft of something I worked hard for is theft of the time (i.e. life) I spent to acquire it. The only theft I have anything remotely resembling tolerance for is theft of food as it is a matter of survival. If you are stealing my car, parts off my car, my TV, tools, etc. you deserve all the birdshot, buckshot, and lead I can land on you. :quickdraw:

10. Dec 3, 2023 at 9:02 AM
    Hafaday

Hafaday Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA.
    Vehicle:
    19, DCSB, Off Road. 23 KLX300, 14JKU
    Nice! I love the priorities….. new washer and dryer setting in the boxes, but goes and gets a new to you bike before installing said washer and dryer…. Love it. :rofl:

11. Dec 3, 2023 at 9:47 AM
    but why tho

but why tho Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1991 Pickup
    Thanks!! A yellow FJR would look so good (and be good for visibility!).

I'll look into Laam seats once I sort out the rest of the bike. I just ordered Road 6's for the bike so getting kind of tapped out at the moment (we're in the same boat now with your FJR build too :D).

Thanks! There was some really strong winds and the bike was so stable that it didn't care. I want to try it with the luggage + 2 up to see how it feels.

I'm just proving that my garage is at full capacity and I literally can't get any more bikes in the garage (the Versys is in the driveway now).

I'll get to the washer/dryer later... I promise.

Oof that sucks man. I've been seeing more and more new cars getting stolen online. Hope he can get it back in one piece or insurance pays him out.

My "security" for my Pickup is just putting the steering wheel inside my house. With the lack of power steering hopefully they can't drive it away with just the hub.

12. Dec 3, 2023 at 9:50 AM
    Hafaday

Hafaday Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA.
    Vehicle:
    19, DCSB, Off Road. 23 KLX300, 14JKU
    Haha! Just having a little fun with yea. and yes, it looks very tight in there. Enjoy the new ride.

50Buck and but why tho[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Dec 3, 2023 at 11:04 AM
    Redeemed

Redeemed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 with a "TRD Off-Road" sticker
    They’re using range extenders to make the vehicle think the fob is nearby, which allows them to enter and start it. I believe the fix is to put your fob in a faraday bag while at home.

Built2Ride[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Dec 3, 2023 at 11:09 AM
    Redeemed

Redeemed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 with a "TRD Off-Road" sticker
    Yesterday I washed my FJR, took it for a spin (it was almost 50) then put it away—probably for the winter :pout:

BkerChuck likes this.
  15. Dec 3, 2023 at 11:19 AM
    BkerChuck

BkerChuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Etters, PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport Blazing Blue Pearl
    Yeah, you're a good bit north of me so I can still sneak some rides in. I think this year I rode to work every day in February. I know I rode at least a couple days every month.

Redeemed[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Dec 3, 2023 at 11:35 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    AHHHHHH YISSSSSSSSSSS! Congrats man.

The stock seat: Do the "flat seat mod", this will DRASTICLY help.

My suggestions specifically to the super tenere before riding much.
    • Full brake fluid flush front and rear including cycle the abs pump via jumper. (ABS pumps on these are known to go if fresh fluid isnt a somewhat constant thing - also check drain holes near pump are open and not clogged)
    • Full clutch fluid bleed - I guarantee its NASTY and if left unchecked it will ruin the slave
    • Rear gear oil change - Just buy the yamaha specific shaft drive oil (ACC-SHFTD-EX-00) - 1 bottle gets you 4 changes (8oz per change), change every other oil change (OCI is 4k miles) - Shake the bottle good before measuring out needed amount.
    • Change oil n filter - Make sure whatever oil you use that meets the specs called for has a good shear strength the 90* bevel gear output paired with the high torque and high torque impulses from the parallel will chew right through oil with low shear strength - I believe I have talked about this previously - Its why I use conventional T4 15w-40 over Synthetic T5 5w-40
    • Grease and properly tighten steering stem - They are known to come loose over time and are almost always never torqued properly from the factory/dealer - I have the special socket for this hit me up

For oil drain plugs (yes plural) and rear gear fill / drain plugs get this for replacement crush washers - - it will keep you covered for MULTIPLE changes

My suggestions for mods / upgrades mentioned (we can discuss further via PM):
    • The super tenere (and lots of other yamaha bikes) hav a fused aux lighting circuit and plug ready for use (ground, constant 12v, switched 12v).
    • I have the full 2014+ service manual PDF
    • You will likely want a madstad windshield bracket - ali express has them for <60$ vs $$$
    • You will likely want side winglet wind deflects - ali express has them for <20$ vs yamaha 200+
    • Front fender rear side extension is nice - again ali express has these for cheap
    • Dash infill templates are out there
    I have been through pretty much my ENTIRE tenere, DO NOT HESITATE to hit me up if you have questions!

17. Dec 3, 2023 at 12:44 PM
    but why tho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1991 Pickup
    Thank you so much! I'll definitely hit you up via PM. If I could get the service manual PDF that would be amazing!

For maintenance, the owner said he had it serviced at the dealer and that the rear end, brake fluid and everything else was done at 12k - do I need to worry about anything for now? I'll have to look into bleeding the brakes with ABS since I haven't done that before on a bike.

I already have a couple jugs of Rotella T6 5W40, I know it's synthetic but do you think that's fine to use? I'll also have to look into the steering stem as well.

I've already got an adjustable windshield bracket that looks similar to the $60 one on Aliexpress, not sure if I need anything else? I have no complaints with the current windshield.

I am thinking about getting this though - https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...sea!US!2117946939!&curPageLogUid=48z1dN8k2cuH

Also, I'll PM you, but I was going to look into wiring the lights today - could you let me know where the aux lighting circuit is for me to tap in to?

Today I washed off the bugs as best I could, removed most of the stickers off the bike, and put a ton of reflective stickers on the back of the luggage.

[​IMG]

I also 3D printed a phone mount bracket. I had the back half of a phone mount/RAM ball sitting around, so I made a bracket to go around the GPS bar mount and attached my old phone mount off the Versys:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm currently reprinting in grey and will position it in the center but I really like the position of the phone behind the windshield.

18. Dec 3, 2023 at 1:07 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto

How many miles are on it now? And when did the dealer do the 12k service that did the brake fluid and gear oil?

As far as the windshield bracket, Ride the bike but ill bet you find that the stock adjustable one is somewhat flimsy and you get some pretty gnarly buffeting, the better madstad/aliexpress bracket is stiffer and has extra bars to make it to where the windshield doesnt move around nearly as much cutting down on buffeting big time.

Aux lighting circuit is a white 3 pin plug under the cover where the battery is (right side of bike, black access panel comes off with 1/4 turn 4mm hex heads - its a bit tricky to get off with the crash bar in place but can be done, put a towel between crash bar and panel and tetris it out - this will expose all wiring as well as the location for the factory tool kit)

but why tho[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Dec 3, 2023 at 1:25 PM
    woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Michigan
    Man congrats, that's a great looking bike.

20. Dec 3, 2023 at 1:25 PM
    but why tho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1991 Pickup
    It's got 14k miles on it right now. I'm not sure when the dealer service was done but the seller said it was good to go (obviously that's what they all say). I just don't want to do repeat services and figured I'd just do the oil change and rear end at 18k again.

Products Discussed in

To Top