1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Motorcycles BS Thread 2.0

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by Sacrifice, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Dec 3, 2023 at 2:13 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Definitely couldn't hurt to have a peak in the front brake / clutch master cylinder reservoirs to see how clear the fluid is.

Personally idgaf what the previous person did or has claimed to do. For minimal costs in fluids I like to have a definitive starting point.

but why tho likes this.
  2. Dec 3, 2023 at 2:42 PM
    but why tho

but why tho Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1991 Pickup
    I'll take a look!

Any thoughts on the little bags that go in the Givi frame?

upload_2023-12-3_14-42-58.png

3. Dec 3, 2023 at 2:50 PM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto

Not my cup of tea because of exposure during a fall etc. But could definitely be a good option if you needed extra storage!

Definitely hit me up in a PM and I can go over quirks, what I have noticed etc etc etc

50Buck and but why tho[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Dec 3, 2023 at 3:02 PM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Alrighty! More XT225 updates.

Got a battery n blinkers so I could button things up. I wanted to mount blinkers to the promoto billet rack, wanted something small n out of the way but bright enough to be seen. I wanted to mount to the rack as I removed the entire huge stock rear taillight/brake light/ blinker assembly that's known to break the first time that falls over. As well as making it so the blinkers can come off easy via rack removal (4 bolts).

This meant I needed to make a little harness so that the blinkers could be unplugged easily via one plug. I just so happened to have a nice small 4 pin plug at my disposal and other various supplies. I actually, honestly, really enjoy wiring.

Moto side of the mini sub harness to plug into the stock bullet connectors and put the single plug in a spot much more easily accessible.

20231202_162134.jpg

Plugged in under the side panel (accessible via one simple cap head Allen screw)
    20231203_132128.jpg

And the lil blinkers!
    20231202_204837.jpg

These little blinkers are neat! They have a rearward and side facing LEDs and are STUPID bright... Brighter than the DOT approved OEM led blinkers on my super tenere.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09VGZ9THM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Got the IRC GP1 tires, chain and sprockets delivered yesterday (couldn't pass up some cheap tires for this xt225 Grom replacement experiment), we will see if I have time to get those on this week. Still need to sort mounting holes for the givi hardware for a rear box. Needless to say the lil bike is coming along.

5. Dec 3, 2023 at 3:03 PM
    BkerChuck

BkerChuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Etters, PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport Blazing Blue Pearl
    Friend of mine has something like that on his BMW. As already stated you don't want anything in them breakable. Blaine uses his for extra gloves, micro fiber towel for face shield cleaning, stuff like that, light in weight and soft that would take up space elsewhere.

but why tho[QUOTED] and nd4spdbh like this.
  6. Dec 3, 2023 at 3:12 PM
    but why tho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1991 Pickup
    I wanted to put my tools in there but I’m guessing that’s not a great idea.

7. Dec 3, 2023 at 3:18 PM
    50Buck

50Buck Living rent free Timmy the Tool's head

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2024 Ferd F150 XLT, 2019 Yamaha Super Tenéré
    Given that your radiator is under the left panned right behind those bars, I wouldn't put a bag there that can fit through the holes in the bars. Same goes for bag contents. Punching a hole in the radiator is a crap way to end a ride.

but why tho[QUOTED] and nd4spdbh like this.
  8. Dec 3, 2023 at 3:22 PM
    BkerChuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Etters, PA
    Vehicle:
    So long as they're not breakable or packed with anything breakable it won't hurt. My only thought is having any real weight hanging there and how to deal with it if bike would be dropped. I'd rather use them for softer yet bulky items that I need access to.

but why tho[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Dec 3, 2023 at 3:25 PM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    The super tenere standing still / moving slow is top heavy no doubt. I have ridden motos 23 yrs and VERY rarely fall in the dirt *knocks on wood* and have only dropped/fell over on the 919 once in the 13yrs I owned it.

In the just over a year of super tenere ownership, I have fully dropped it twice and definitely had a few ohhhh shit moments as I caught it. One as I went to leave going through some soft dirt and got off balance, and another time trying to make a U turn on a small road slowly. The crash bars saved the bike both times, but I definitely wouldn't of wanted anything on them to get smashed. The givi crash bars have some of the shittiest welds / construction I have ever seen BUT with some extra weld and a smidge of bracing make for good crash bars.

Also @50Buck makes a great point. Radiator being on the left side you need to have that area open for the bike to breathe. Stock the tenere will turn on the fan at 220 (and it gets there quick without much airflow, not much thermal mass from a small amount of coolant) so you want to be able to get things cooled quickly

but why tho[QUOTED] and 50Buck like this.
  10. Dec 3, 2023 at 3:38 PM
    Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2020 Quicksand Off Road DCLB 4x4
    I've had 8 different scooters over the course of my lifetime, and did love them, but around here the riding season is > 6 months, and have 0 friends that have or are interested in riding........
    Sold my last bike back in 2018 (Duc 749 Testastretta that was Immaculate) and after getting married and investing in an off road trailer the wife and I love, I haven't really thought much about having a bike again.

I still to this day remember seeing THE coolest bike I'd ever seen back in the mid 90s at my 1st or 2nd EJS in Moab.
    Some guy was leaning WAY over the handlebars of this super strange looking little bike that had odd looking fat little tires on it. Then he proceeded to go straight up some of the hardest core obstacles on the trail we had seen all day; with ease.
    I soon figured out what it was, and that both wheels were drive wheels.
    I was kind of obsessed, but never really did anything about my infatuation.....

I know I can get a new one for a semi reasonable price, and at just over 200 lbs I can also get a wheel free mount for the back of our off road OGT trailer as well.

Anyone have any experience Rokons?
    I'm specifically looking at a TrailBreaker, a MotoTractor, or even a Ranger if the need for street riding occurs.

TIA scooter folks!

TacoTyusday, nd4spdbh and 50Buck like this.
  11. Dec 3, 2023 at 3:43 PM
    50Buck

50Buck Living rent free Timmy the Tool's head

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2024 Ferd F150 XLT, 2019 Yamaha Super Tenéré
    Shit, I didn't even think about the airflow. LMAO. That's a way more likely issue than a puncture.

nd4spdbh[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Dec 3, 2023 at 4:07 PM
    BkerChuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Etters, PA
    Vehicle:
    I've seen them at some shows and events but have never ridden one. So far as I know they're not street legal. I think top speed is only around 15-20 mph. I know the older ones I've seen the wheels themselves can hold fuel or water to allow some serious over landing capability.

Out2gtcha[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Dec 3, 2023 at 4:29 PM
    Out2gtcha

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    As noted, all true except for the Ranger which is street legal and DOT approved for road legal use and capable of 37 mph.
    The Rokons made today, are in fact the same as those made in the 50s, with little changed in the basic layout, which includes floatable wheel hubs you can fill with air or fuel.
    The TrailBreakers and slightly higher version MotoTractors are capable of 35 mph, but are not road legal/DOT approved from the factory and would take some modding to get it there.

14. Dec 3, 2023 at 4:31 PM
    spencermarkd

spencermarkd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Pullman, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 Driftwood Pearl 4Runner
    Rokons are sweet. If I were looking for something like that though, personally, I'd go a bit more modern with a Ubco 2x2.

https://ubco.com/pages/2x2-electric-bike

Their hunting edition is sick, IMHO.

upload_2023-12-3_16-31-7.png

15. Dec 3, 2023 at 5:18 PM
    Out2gtcha

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:

Very cool, but definitely not what I'm looking for.
    I need something that I don't need to charge, as we go into the bush for weeks at a time and is capable of climbing 60deg slopes, as it is something I'll be taking to Moab with us.
    I also need something that is extremely robust and want something that doesn't require or rely on modern technology.
    Also, I need something that can tow over 1500 lbs as we will also have a need to mend/check fences and haul things around my buddies property that is pretty undeveloped and rugged.
    I'd also really prefer something that was capable of over 30 mph as well if possible, although I see the Ubcos top speed is 30

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
  16. Dec 3, 2023 at 5:24 PM
    spencermarkd

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Pullman, WA
    Vehicle:
    Fair enough. Towing capacity on those is wild, hooray torquey singles.

Also, didn't realize they're fuckin over $10K OTD new :confused:

17. Dec 3, 2023 at 5:27 PM
    Out2gtcha

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    Really the new price is the only con for me, but there are used Rokons out there occasionally, I just don't know anyone who actually owns one. I'll have to drive pretty far for a used one, if I don't want to pay for delivery.....which actually isn't that much in the scope of things.

spencermarkd[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Dec 3, 2023 at 5:50 PM
    spencermarkd

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Pullman, WA
    Vehicle:
    Grom got a sponge bath, then gave it and the F800GS some very much needed chain-love. Figured out where I'm mounting my lights when they get here, and then spent an hour pondering switch placement. Still haven't quite figured out what I'll do. I don't love the mounting points available to me behind the dash. Don't love putting another set of switches on the handlebars, either, as I rock the hippo hands and there isn't much room nor are they visible. All in all, solid Sunday afternoon.

Hafaday, uurx, 50Buck and 4 others like this.
  19. Dec 3, 2023 at 6:45 PM
    but why tho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1991 Pickup
    Got it done today!

[​IMG]

It's looking so much better in the garage:

[​IMG]

20. Dec 3, 2023 at 6:49 PM
    but why tho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1991 Pickup
    Fair enough, I will skip it for now.

I think I'm going to give the bike about ~1k of running before I tackle the engine/final drive oil and brake/clutch fluids. I'll spend some time getting to know the bike as is, I think.

I'm not sure how to wire the lights up, BTW. How do you get the wire to pass through to the connector? It looks like all the wiring there is pretty well blocked off.

Products Discussed in

To Top