1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Motorcycles BS Thread 2.0

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by Sacrifice, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Dec 9, 2023 at 7:46 PM
    but why tho

but why tho Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1991 Pickup
    I have a ton of tire lube but was using soapy water as lubricant to get the tire off, since it gets into the nookies and crannies easier.

I usually let the new tire sit in the sun as well, but this time I had just put it in front of our space heater and it was so nice and warm. The old tire being cold is what really screwed me. Riding it around at half pressure is a GREAT idea that I hadn't thought of before, though. I will definitely do that next time!

As is, I might try and shove the old tire back onto the rim (after letting it heat for a few hours, of course) and do a quick balance and throw it back on the bike so I can ride to work this week. Having to do this twice is ridiculous.

It's a friend's Porsche 914 with a SBC V8.

2. Dec 9, 2023 at 8:57 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    I just see pivot pegs are reducing your control of the bike and allowing your ankle to pivot vs giving oneself a firm platform to stand on. If you are doing serious riding you are mainly on the ball of your foot rather and a pivot peg can be counter productive to that.

+1 to larger pegs than stock / typical pegs you see on high end enduro bikes they are a little longer away from centerline but probably 2x the fore n aft width for a larger platform.

3. Dec 9, 2023 at 9:00 PM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto

The ruglyde is good because it actually evaporates and reconditions rubber vs having water trapped inside the tire.

Also you aint never lived till you have spooned on a grom's tire.... being tubeless they all have the same size bead regardless of rim size which is ~ 1/2 in per side. Stretching a 12in tire 1 inch over the lip of a rim is a fuggin bajillion times harder than a full size street tire.

50Buck and but why tho[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Dec 9, 2023 at 9:02 PM
    but why tho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1991 Pickup
    I spooned a 12” tire on the Navi’s wheel and that was stupid easy compared to these crazy 80/20 tires. Maybe it’s also the temperature so I will just make sure the tire is warm before throwing it on tomorrow.

Also the water is to get the tire off, and tire grease to install tire on.

50Buck likes this.
  5. Dec 9, 2023 at 9:10 PM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Something about all the grom tires I have done have just been the absolute BIGGEST pain in the ass.... have fun when it comes time on yours.

Back to back posts.... im sorry (but not really).

Got to making mounts for a Givi Monolock case with the hardware that showed up on the XT225 grom replacement project. Bike is stripped cus im doing some carb adjustments and noticed a cracked carb float, waiting on parts there... its all of 5 bolts and 5 minutes to get side plastics, seat, and tank off.... god im falling in love with this lil simple machine.

Roughed in mounts. Ill clean up the brackets, cut excess off and paint maybe tomorrow once things are fully finalized.
    20231209_204216.jpg

Givi Trekker 33L case on
    20231209_203638.jpg

And easily moved to the Super Tenere (where this particular case spends 99% of its life)
    20231209_203713.jpg

Ill see how things go with the Givi case, part of me feels like a milk crate fits the XT225 much better aesthetically, BUUUUUUT having something that locks, has a lid, and isnt full of holes is pretty nice from a day to day usability perspective. Also, I bought the super tenere with 2 of these givi cases (as side cases) but only really use 1 as a top case on the tenere - the trekker series, at least the 33l ones, are dual hinged and work great as either top or side cases.

Hafaday, 50Buck, woodtickgreg and 2 others like this.
  6. Dec 9, 2023 at 10:56 PM
    Calamity_taco

Calamity_taco your friendly neighborhood weeb :3

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    I have no idea. send help!
    Vehicle:
    2015 sr5 access cab, 97 & 98 civic coupe, 03 klx400, 2014 yamaha bolt
    just a couple of things tbh
    oh neat was never a big fan of those but i do like porsche lol

but why tho[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Dec 10, 2023 at 5:15 AM
    BkerChuck

BkerChuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Etters, PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport Blazing Blue Pearl
    Looks like a garage day today. Everything I had ordered for the 2013 FJR1300 is now here and it's supposed to rain heavily so I might as well start putting all the new stuff on it. Will try to make myself take more pics as I do it for once.

8. Dec 10, 2023 at 6:11 AM
    FreshOldTaco

FreshOldTaco Well-Known Rider

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    above the storm
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma
    I’d love to ride the new one. The 1290 is an absolute beast you summed it up perfect. The torque is unreal so addicting

It’s a tough choice between the two. The 701 is probably my favorite but I need the 1290 to cover more distance. The Super Duke is effortless on the highway, it’s idling at 80 mph. Usually I’m wishing for another gear and that bike barely needs 6th. But for everything else I love the 701 SM, its the lightest best handling bike I’ve ridden.

9. Dec 10, 2023 at 6:15 AM
    gixxerphil

gixxerphil @concretelander

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Auburn, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    I've not been on the bike since last Weds :annoyed:(longest since I've owned it) I've been a bit gun shy after my surgery to have something hit me in the eye. No problems at all, but I'm hoping the doc gives the "go" tomorrow so I can get back on it :D

10. Dec 10, 2023 at 7:27 AM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto

Yeah with eyes, don't fuck and. You won't be able to ride at all if shit goes sideways

Hafaday, BkerChuck and 50Buck like this.
  11. Dec 10, 2023 at 7:34 AM
    gixxerphil

gixxerphil @concretelander

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Auburn, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    He never said I couldn't ride, just no driving for the first 2 days. I've not had any problems....but I'm just very leery when my eyes are concerned :rofl: One good thing is that it's been kind of shitty wet weather here....so there's that :D

12. Dec 10, 2023 at 7:54 AM
    Built2Ride

Built2Ride Who wants to ride out?! PM Me.

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 TacoTRDPro, ‘18 T4RTRDPro, ‘12 Tundra, ‘07 FJC
    All my rigs are purpose built. From crawling to camping. I also enjoy a nice stock truck for what that’s worth. Toyota’s are the jam!
    Smart let those puppies rest. I hit a small pine sapping one day as I was exiting off a trail. Basically my buddies in front of me came to an abrupt stop, so instead of running over one of them I went off trail. Well a 4’ sapping smacked me in the face, and some how one of the needles made its way into my goggle vents. Damn thing poked me right in the eye, which scratched it. I had a burr right in the middle of my vision.
    It made me realize just how important eye protection is while riding in any manner.
    Take care of those eyes :)

13. Dec 10, 2023 at 7:57 AM
    Built2Ride

Built2Ride Who wants to ride out?! PM Me.

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 TacoTRDPro, ‘18 T4RTRDPro, ‘12 Tundra, ‘07 FJC
    All my rigs are purpose built. From crawling to camping. I also enjoy a nice stock truck for what that’s worth. Toyota’s are the jam!
    I have had them both at the same time in 2015-2016. My 690r was an enduro model, I actually ended up with 2. I got offered a built 07 FJC on trade so I let one go, and then a buddy wanted an adv bike and only had 5k to get into it, so I sold my other one.

I think you’re right on the nose, the 701 would be more usable for me, and most certainly keep me busy on the twisties.

14. Dec 10, 2023 at 9:42 AM
    but why tho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1991 Pickup
    I have the same cases! I like them, even though the 2 little clasps on the side are an extra step to open each time. They're weighty, too.

How hard was it to get the mounts in the correct locations?

15. Dec 10, 2023 at 10:43 AM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto

Not hard if you measure things correctly. There are templates for mounting hole locations of the monokey hardware out there

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/givi-monokey-side-rack-dimensions.1317533/

16. Dec 10, 2023 at 11:49 AM
    50Buck

50Buck Living rent free Timmy the Tool's head

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2024 Ferd F150 XLT, 2019 Yamaha Super Tenéré
    I'd ask for a discount for the inconvenience, or hit up RMATVMC to see if they can beat Revzilla. That's some poor service.

nd4spdbh and but why tho[QUOTED] like this.
  17. Dec 10, 2023 at 11:54 AM
    but why tho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1991 Pickup
    Revzilla gave me $35 for my troubles but I'd rather not have the $35 to have the correct tire, you know?

My wife was cool with me mounting my tire in the family room so I moved my tire mounter inside and stuck the old tire in front of a space heater for a few hours to soften it up. Tire is mounted again, I didn't really care to balance it and stuck it back on.

[​IMG]

18. Dec 10, 2023 at 12:07 PM
    spencermarkd

spencermarkd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Pullman, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 Driftwood Pearl 4Runner
    I’ve heard putting the tire in a thick garbage bag, then wrapping the opening of the bag around the nozzle of a hair dryer works well. Poke a few holes in the back of the bag to allow for some airflow and not overheat the hair dryer. Haven’t tried it but I feel like it could work decently to heat the tire evenly quickly

19. Dec 10, 2023 at 12:09 PM
    50Buck

50Buck Living rent free Timmy the Tool's head

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2024 Ferd F150 XLT, 2019 Yamaha Super Tenéré
    Mmm. Yeah. Small consolation in your tire off position. May have had more weight if you didn't have the tire off already, so I guess I can't fault them. Glad they did the discount.

20. Dec 10, 2023 at 4:00 PM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Speaking of tires and balancing.

Static balance, balance beads, or a combo of the two - specifically for street tubeless setups.

DISCUSS!

I just static balanced the new set of tires on the xt225 as they are spoked and tubed ( something about putting glass beads INSIDE a tube and the abrasion doesn't sit well...plus rim lock good lord talk about all the wheel weight...), but the only way I could get some Grom tires balanced WHILE RIDING was via beads, and the tenere has beads cus they are easy but I feel as though there's a harmonic due to the beads at certain speeds.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2023

Products Discussed in

To Top