1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Motorcycles BS Thread 2.0

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by Sacrifice, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Dec 26, 2023 at 5:20 PM
    50Buck

50Buck Living rent free Timmy the Tool's head

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2024 Ferd F150 XLT, 2019 Yamaha Super Tenéré
    That's awesome. Maybe it'll live again!

Hafaday and but why tho[QUOTED] like this.
  2. Dec 26, 2023 at 5:23 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Been meaning to do this for awhile. Clutch master cylinder rebuild. Never done one before.

I have had the rebuild kit ($30ish) for a few months and when I got the super tenere a little over a year ago the clutch fluid was DISGUSTING.... Most certainly was the original fluid with 7yrs and 21k miles (at the time) on it. So I flushed the hell out of it a year ago but I had a good hunch based on others who have seen the same that there would be lots junk and piston wear that if not caught quick enough can take out the slave cylinder, which no one offers a rebuild kit for and the unit as a whole is a rareish part that is $$$.

Pulled it and was definitely glad I did. You can see all the crud n junk by the seal near the spring and that was only about half of it.

20231226_150022.jpg

Fully stripped and brake cleaner cleaned out.

20231226_150014.jpg

I got it all back together and am in the process of bleeding the air out... My dumb ass sucked air in with low master rez level right as things were looking air free. DOH!

@but why tho ... Check your clutch n brake fluids and flush em! Actually that goes for EVERYONE here... It's such an overlooked maintenance item.

3. Dec 26, 2023 at 5:31 PM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Good info to have. If I wind up buying a used one I'll make sure this is done. All this kind of stuff is what pushes me toward buying new when it comes to vehicles. Starting from a clean slate with no drama installed by previous owners, because I tend to have the worst luck and get the ticking timebombs.

4. Dec 26, 2023 at 5:51 PM
    oldtoyman

oldtoyman Small bore freak

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    North of Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2012 Yamaha FZ1, 2019 Honda monkey , 2023 klx300 ,2013 prerunner TRD off-road
    Installed the ais block off plate on the Klx. That’s about it. Waiting on other parts and weather kinda sucks.

Hafaday, but why tho and nd4spdbh like this.
  5. Dec 26, 2023 at 6:02 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto

Realistically.... (With the super tenere) at least.

This stuff was not needed, the clutch master was designed to hold crud in a low spot to hopefully not introduce it into the slave, but I didn't want that possibly in the back of my mind.

95% of the "out side of standard maintenance" stuff I have done on the bike would be unneeded for a normal person riding it till easily 100k mi on the clock. I am probably one of the hardest riders a super tenere has ever seen it lives it's normal life in the canyons getting flogged - red line and revlimiter seen probably multiple times every outing, and find myself by myself in remote places often. Higher stakes stuff.

I'm also just a stickler and worry wart. I need to know things are damn near 100% best to my knowledge and covered and good before fully trusting a mechanical thing (and realistically most things in life) which is why I do weird stuff like this even if it's functioning fine.

The ONLY thing outside of standard fluid maintenance (which still everyone SHOULD ABSOLUTELY FLUSH BRAKES AND HYDRAULIC CLUTCH systems) which NEEDED to be done has been a retorquing of the steering stem bearing preload nut.

I would have ZERO issue flying across country, buying a super tenere (given the right one) and doing a quick oil and rear gear oil change before setting off across the states on a 3-4k mile ride.

BkerChuck and 50Buck[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Dec 26, 2023 at 6:39 PM
    but why tho

but why tho Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1991 Pickup
    So... the guy who picked it up has been sending me pics. I don't think it's going to run again. :p

upload_2023-12-26_18-37-41.jpg

He builds other bikes and wanted the parts to harvest, so it'll still live on in some other bikes. Dude is SUPER cool, has a 2017 Super Tenere and wants to go riding. Best of all, he lives a mile away from me! So I might have gotten a riding/wrenching buddy out of it?

I'm already feeling better getting all the parts cleared out of my garage. In fact, I've been working on clearing out a bunch of junk from my place for the past two days.

7. Dec 26, 2023 at 6:42 PM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, the one I'm leaning toward has about 20K on it, but is already farkled just how I'd do it. Price is right too, aside from others with less/no farkles with 10-15K miles that are the same price, I like it. I would 100% insist on changing the oil and gear oil, and possibly brakes, clutch, and coolant as well. That would mean trusting a dealership to actually do it and do it right on an "as is" purchase though. Makes my anxiety tingle.

nd4spdbh[QUOTED] and but why tho like this.
  8. Dec 26, 2023 at 6:43 PM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    That's awesome! See if you can talk him into joining on here, even if it's just for this thread. The more the merrier!

9. Dec 26, 2023 at 6:53 PM
    but why tho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1991 Pickup
    Nice info! I already bled my clutch and brakes. I even cycled the ABS! I took a super quick video on how I cobbled a jumper together that I need to upload.

The only thing I wanted to avoid was buying a bike that was past its first valve adjustment (so in the S10s case, 24k miles). Everything else isn't a big deal to take care of.

I feel like unless you're riding coast to coast, I wouldn't sweat putting a couple hundred (up to a thousand) miles on whatever fluids are already there, provided it's got fluids, of course. Brakes are pretty obvious if they work or not, and if the brakes didn't work on the test ride, I would probably assume the bike got 0 maintenance otherwise and skip that bike. The clutch I wouldn't bother changing at all, I've never had to change a clutch on a bike, especially at such a low mileage.

Also I've learned that dealerships rarely do things right and just do things fast.

50Buck[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Dec 26, 2023 at 7:00 PM
    Dirtjunkie

Dirtjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Colorado.
    2006-Taco-Sport-TRD-Quad Cab-Short Bed, 4x4 No mods to speak of.
  11. Dec 26, 2023 at 7:35 PM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Are you trying to get me fired? LOL

12. Dec 26, 2023 at 7:37 PM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    If I ever found a place that allowed a test ride that might help with the worries, but I've never found anywhere that allows it.

13. Dec 26, 2023 at 8:07 PM
    but why tho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1991 Pickup
    You can't test ride a used bike?

14. Dec 26, 2023 at 8:10 PM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Private party, maybe. To be fair, I wasn't shopping used until now, and even now that is only because I cannot get the crash bars without going used. That side mounted radiator definitely makes me want solid protection, though I did see video of a guy dumping one over in a parking lot/asphalt lot on the left side and the bikes built in buffer took it well. It wasn't particularly fast though.

but why tho[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Dec 26, 2023 at 8:11 PM
    but why tho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1991 Pickup
    I've only had one dealer not allow me to test ride a used bike and I left and went elsewhere. Pretty much every other dealer and private party person has allowed a test ride.

50Buck[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Dec 26, 2023 at 8:20 PM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    You're in CA. Much different and way more options for you to seek out. Gotta remember, where I am there's probably 100-200 miles between different bike shops. They don't have to accommodate because you don't have much choice if you don't want to travel far.

17. Dec 27, 2023 at 3:42 AM
    BkerChuck

BkerChuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Etters, PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport Blazing Blue Pearl
    The FJR is the same. Great reputation for reliability and known for needing the steering neck retorqued.

The 2013 FJR I just bought the seller had recent receipts for oil, filter, and final drive oil plus some service records from a reasonably reputable dealership I'm familiar with. I'm just going to run the oil that's in it until Spring at this point. I do plan to service the relay arm bearings over the winter.

18. Dec 27, 2023 at 3:46 AM
    BkerChuck

BkerChuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Etters, PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport Blazing Blue Pearl
    Here in PA that's largely up to the dealership. Harley dealers are the most willing, in my experience. Most high powered sportbikes the answer is no unless you're older and appear more responsible and adult like. Private party, often test ride only occurs if you hand over the asking price in cash with the caveat being it's refunded if a sale isn't agreed to for some reason. Last bike I sold the buyer left his car at my house with the keys and I verified he had a motorcycle endorsement on his license first.

50Buck likes this.
  19. Dec 27, 2023 at 5:09 AM
    ridefreak

ridefreak Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB TRD
    minor tweaks
    CARPLAY for motos

As part of the deal for getting a free AUTOabc CP unit to test out I had to do a video for these guys which I didn't mind. For any of you who think it's a good deal being given something in trade for doing a video it's not, for what I can buy one of these for I was working for about $5/hr making the vid. I'm not complaining but it's not like they hand you one of these and you quickly whip up a video.

Let me preface this and say I definitely don't consider myself an influencer and hate to even talk on camera but I owed them this and to be fair, I just talked about the reasons it appealed to me. It's in no way a comparison between brands or how to operate one of these. Just my thoughts on why I like it and I do like this model, it's going to stay on the bike as long as it holds up. Unfortunately the vid is a little short on specs since I didn't see most of them till a couple days ago when one of these showed up on Amazon.

I did the video in 1080P which I'd forgotten how bad it sucks, sorry about that. I might replace it with a 4K version, I haven't don't a 1080P video in years.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
    but why tho likes this.
  20. Dec 27, 2023 at 7:49 AM
    spencermarkd

spencermarkd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Pullman, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 Driftwood Pearl 4Runner
    I've gotten picky about who I'll do videos for now. Kemimoto has been good to me, but over the last couple months I've had a different heated gear manufacturer and a microphone manufacturer reach out. Big nope-d those, not worth my time for something I wasn't looking to buy to begin with.

Products Discussed in

To Top