1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Motorcycles BS Thread 2.0

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by Sacrifice, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Jan 3, 2024 at 10:21 AM
    but why tho

but why tho Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1991 Pickup
    I decided to stay at home today because all my gear is super damp. I'm thinking about trying out a Nelson Rigg oversuit.

TacoTyusday[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jan 3, 2024 at 10:25 AM
    spencermarkd

spencermarkd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Pullman, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 Driftwood Pearl 4Runner
  3. Jan 3, 2024 at 10:26 AM
    but why tho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1991 Pickup
  4. Jan 3, 2024 at 10:42 AM
    TacoTyusday

TacoTyusday Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tacoma TRD Baja
    Oh to have that luxury lol.

TBH I probably would have rode except I forgot my rain pants at work. I did have some fun blasting through some deep puddles on the way to work though.

but why tho[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jan 3, 2024 at 11:06 AM
    BkerChuck

BkerChuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Etters, PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport Blazing Blue Pearl
    I've actually had decent luck with Frogg Togg stuff. I know a few IBR riders that carry it as back up or even use it as a top layer for added warmth.

Hafaday and but why tho[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Jan 3, 2024 at 12:38 PM
    TacoTyusday

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Updating you guys because no one else in my life cares about this enough to listen.

The R3 build saga continues. My shop finally got into it and started working on it, currently ripping out the old electrical and replacing with an OEM harness because it was jerry rigged by the guy who last owned it. Come to find out that the rear swingarm is not only bent, but also a takeoff from a newer generation lol. Apparently a used one comes in pretty cheap so I had him order one.

Also been working with Norton Motorsports on acquiring an exhaust, some block off plates, and ECU flash. Went to pick up the ECU from the shop and it was already flashed by Norton...lol. But has some cheapo Ebay exhaust. Contacted norton, they'll be refunding me a portion of that package since it would just be a quick update, according to them.

Only thing that's really up in the air now is the Ohlin's front fork's, built to order. Currently still no updates on that, i'm hoping it can all get done by early-mid february so i can get it to the track ASAP.

And in other news, I remembered what my truck needs. Smog certification...

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Jan 3, 2024 at 1:08 PM
    oldtoyman

oldtoyman Small bore freak

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    North of Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2012 Yamaha FZ1, 2019 Honda monkey , 2023 klx300 ,2013 prerunner TRD off-road
    I just drilled and tapped the stock plate. Then added three more bolts

w.adventures[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Jan 3, 2024 at 1:27 PM
    but why tho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1991 Pickup
    I ordered a Nelson Rigg suit to try, and also got a Peet dryer helmet attachment to dry out my helmet.

BkerChuck[QUOTED] and Tatts521 like this.
  9. Jan 3, 2024 at 3:45 PM
    Hafaday

Hafaday Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA.
    Vehicle:
    19, DCSB, Off Road. 23 KLX300, 14JKU
    :thumbsup: I was getting ready to mention the Frogg Togg. Granted, I think a pair of zipper-less bibs would be better. but what do I know.

https://www.froggtoggs.com/plot-rider-s-pant-pfc85106
    https://www.froggtoggs.com/road-toad-reflective-rider-s-pant

I wear the cheapest Froggies at work, and until seeing the wet weather gear talk. it made me think of them for the bike as well.

BkerChuck[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jan 3, 2024 at 4:10 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    WOAH. Going all out on the R3! I think out of any mods / fixes the WORST are electrical mods, I dont think I have gotten a used vehicle that has had electrical work done to it that was anywhere near kosher.

OOOF SMOG.... so dumb, my truck just needed it back a few months ago passed with flying colors, definitely made sure I flashed my off road only tune back to stock lol

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    TacoTyusday[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jan 3, 2024 at 4:39 PM
    TacoTyusday

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Oh yeah I'm dumping a ton of money into this bike lol. Granted it will probably be overbuilt for my skill level, but should allow me to grow into it very well for several years at least as I learn as much as possible. Yeah, electrical severely scares me lol. At first my guy offered to see about tracing the current harness to see how everything is hooked up and if he can fix it. I told him to just go with an OEM harness which cost $250, whereas his labor to figure out all the wiring may have taken way longer lol. Plus it'll probably be easier for him to start with a blank OEM slate. I truly don't know how tf the guy before me wired it...he had underglow lights installed, operated by a momentary switch stuck in the tail section. Had aftermarket headlights and tail lights that worked at first but stopped working once he disconnected the underglow. Ignition was removed, bike just started using the kill switch. But I also know nothing about wiring so it may be genius, may be blasphemous lol

Yeah not too happy about the smog, my yearly registration didn't drop at all this time either like it usually does. I'm just hoping my OBDII plug is still operational, last time I went to 3 different smog places before they realized it was failing because the plug wasn't operating correctly lol. Truck has no tune though so should be easy

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
  12. Jan 3, 2024 at 4:48 PM
    w.adventures

w.adventures Adventure is out there

Member:
    Nowheresville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Lexus GX470 Family Hauler
    Just a general welder to learn on.

nd4spdbh[QUOTED] and Tatts521 like this.
  13. Jan 3, 2024 at 8:14 PM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto

Gotcha,

This is my setup

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B6ZPFZ6G/ - welder - 129.99
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009ZH7KW - wire - 16.12
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XJ9YT8M - helmet - 38.98
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CFL7LY - tip gel - 10.99
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RA5JEW - anti-splatter spray - 10.05 - gloves - 7.49 - flux core nozzel - 7.99 - welding hammer/flux chipper - 5.99 - wire brush - 5.99

Total for a full welding setup ~ 235$ (add 25$ for a HF angle ginder, cut off wheels and flap discs if you dont have them already).

I did a buncha youtube video watching and landed on that flameweld (same as hynade) as i liked its size and ease of use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmpjenWN10M

That stated, the flameweld/hynade @ 130$ is a bit much when there are options like this

https://www.amazon.com/YESWELDER-FL...refix=inverter+flux+welde,aps,153&sr=8-4&th=1

With more modes/features for $110.

You really cant go wrong with the HF titanium 125 or any similar well reviewed smaller 110v inverter flux welders. A big key is good flux wire and the wire linked to is some of the top rated flux core .030 wire. The tip gel just gets put on the contact tip as well as the nozzle cover to make them last WAY longer, just a lil light coat here n there. Anti splatter spray in an even medium coat on the metal before your weld really helps make it so splatter doesnt stick nearly as much. The flux core nozzels linked to will work on most of these cheaper welders and give you a MUCH better view while protecting the contact tip way better from splatter.

The key with flux welding. PREP.

Make sure you grind the metal clean, have a good ground, have a proper wire stick out (to properly heat the flux core before actually welding), tip angle etc, there are many a youtube video on this. Find some scrap and start playing around.

14. Jan 3, 2024 at 8:27 PM
    spencermarkd

spencermarkd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Pullman, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 Driftwood Pearl 4Runner

I'll plus 1 the little titanium 125. I've had it about two years now I think? Works great for little projects here and there. If I was doing a lot of welding I'd probably want a mig setup, but for how infrequently I'm doing stuff flux has been great, no need to buy bottles or anything.

15. Jan 3, 2024 at 8:31 PM
    w.adventures

Member:
    Nowheresville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Great post! Thanks for the info! I didn’t expect you to go that far into detail:thumbsup:

nd4spdbh[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jan 3, 2024 at 8:48 PM
    oldtoyman

oldtoyman Small bore freak

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    North of Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2012 Yamaha FZ1, 2019 Honda monkey , 2023 klx300 ,2013 prerunner TRD off-road
    About 18 years ago I had a flux core welder. It did ok for welds you will never see. Lots of splatter and inconsistent . Then I purchased a nicer 220 gas mig. It’s so much easier to weld with gas compared to flux core. Just having the gas made my welds so much better.

Hafaday, Tatts521 and spencermarkd like this.
  17. Jan 3, 2024 at 9:07 PM
    Wyckedan

Wyckedan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Woodinville WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Stormtrooper AC 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s.
    1 fully operational Death Star
    Flux core is super diiiiiirty. Yeah it works, but spending a few extra bucks to get a gas mig is definitely worth it.

Hafaday likes this.
  18. Jan 3, 2024 at 9:10 PM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    My Pleasure!

NO DOUBT gas shielded mig is definitely cleaner, more consistent etc, but for the general around the house / small projects most will do flux works great. Especially with the wire linked to above / anti splatter spray / and the key... a modern inverter IGBT flux welder.

I have used both gas mig and flux and with the above setup and a little bit of clean up I really dont miss the gas'd mig let alone the extra hassle and space occupied by the welder/bottle etc.

Heres a somewhat recent project I welded up. Dialed in right the weld felt super consistent with minimal splatter, and the splatter than did occurred was simply wiped away thanks to the spray.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...rite-lift-thread.279865/page-46#post-29131456

Like stated the above setup is all of ~250 bucks full in to get you welding whatever steel you want. Worse case you really get into it and you are only out the welder and flux core wire (~140$) as all the rest can be carried over to whatever welding you do if you decide to upgrade and go gassed mig, ANND you will be able to keep the lil flux core for rando quick jobs.

To do a mig setup with gas bottle etc you are looking easily double if not 3x the initial price.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
    DoulosXP likes this.
  19. Jan 4, 2024 at 1:33 AM
    woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Michigan
    Years ago I lucked out and got a good deal on a used Miller mig welder. More than this hobbiest homeowner really needs. But man it's nice having a good welder when it's needed.
    20200530_125630.jpg
    I have thrown out the p.o.s. harbor freight welding helmet and gotten a better one.
    20200612_164604.jpg
    I welded up a welding table that's on wheels and sits above the welder so they both occupy the same space in the garage. Got a cover for the welder to keep it clean.
    20200914_170515.jpg

20. Jan 4, 2024 at 7:52 AM
    w.adventures

Member:
    Nowheresville, SC
    Vehicle:
    And that’s the reason I haven’t bought a welder yet is because “if you spend more money on a better one it’s worth it”. Only issue is I don’t have more money to spend on a welder which is why I haven’t bought one yet. I just need to pull the trigger on one of these cheap ones. In the end any welder is better than no welder.

nd4spdbh, spencermarkd and Tatts521 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top