1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Motorcycles BS Thread 2.0

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by Sacrifice, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Jan 30, 2024 at 10:13 AM
    YF_Ryan

YF_Ryan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Icon Coil Overs. Deaver U402 Stage 3 Leafs w/ Bilstein 5160s. ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. Fuel Boost wheels w/ Wrangler Duratracs. Brute Force Fab Sliders & HC Rear Bumper w/swingout
    Trading in the SxS would be smart... but I don't wanna give it up, lol. Plan was to buy a NEW SxS, but wife figured we have a SxS, so let's buy motos!

50Buck[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jan 30, 2024 at 10:17 AM
    50Buck

50Buck Living rent free Timmy the Tool's head

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2024 Ferd F150 XLT, 2019 Yamaha Super Tenéré
    SxS is just too expensive for maintenance because I do not have a garage nor any kind of lift and the assholes here charge $150-$250 for a basic oil change... and they fuck up your machine.

3. Jan 30, 2024 at 10:20 AM
    YF_Ryan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    Icon Coil Overs. Deaver U402 Stage 3 Leafs w/ Bilstein 5160s. ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. Fuel Boost wheels w/ Wrangler Duratracs. Brute Force Fab Sliders & HC Rear Bumper w/swingout
    My teryx4 is tall enough I just slide under it. It's tight, and easier with a set of car ramps, but either way has worked. But yeah, no garage would definitely make it harder for storage and all that fun stuff. I ended up building a shed for the SxS and ATV. Hoping a couple motos would fit in there too if we re-arrange, lol. Cause definitely no room in the ACTUAL garage.

4. Jan 30, 2024 at 10:23 AM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    I didn't do anything crazy with the SxS anyway, so a bike is just as good for the "off road" stuff for me, but infinitely better because I can actually travel with it.

YF_Ryan[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jan 30, 2024 at 10:28 AM
    YF_Ryan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    we're so far from riding areas that it makes it hard to take out the SxS. We enjoy it when we do, but anymore it's only a couple times a year. We like going to the Oregon dunes, even have a place down there, but it's 7+ hours away. Hell, we're going down there next week and decided to not even bring the SxS. $75 in gas in the car, $350 in the truck with trailer.

Getting street legal bikes would allow us to get out straight from home. Cruise back roads and get outta the house. We won't be offroading them, but that's what the truck and SxS is for when we want to scratch that itch.

6. Jan 30, 2024 at 10:33 AM
    Calamity_taco

Calamity_taco your friendly neighborhood weeb :3

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    I have no idea. send help!
    Vehicle:
    2015 sr5 access cab, 97 & 98 civic coupe, 03 klx400, 2014 yamaha bolt
    just a couple of things tbh
    shitty people man glad nothing else happened

50Buck and TacoTyusday[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Jan 30, 2024 at 10:34 AM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    For sure.

If I used the SxS all the time and had a shop/garage to do the maintenance I might have kept it. As it is, if I get the itch I can rent once or twice a year and still not spend what the SxS costs with the insurance and price tag.

8. Jan 30, 2024 at 10:36 AM
    TacoTyusday

TacoTyusday Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tacoma TRD Baja

Thanks man. Shame it had to be a taco lol. Never understand the issue people have with lane splitters if they are doing so safely.

Calamity_taco[QUOTED] and 50Buck like this.
  9. Jan 30, 2024 at 10:38 AM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Was it splitting, like at speed, or filtering low speed?

Cali usually doesn't have the dips that swerve because it's been legal there forever.

TacoTyusday[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jan 30, 2024 at 10:39 AM
    TacoTyusday

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Technically splitting, as here filtering is only used for stop lights or absolutely dead stop traffic. Traffic was moving about 25-30 on the freeway, I was going 40mph.

Yeah i've never seen it before in CA unless it was a road rage incident. On second thought, I should have let him hit me and gotten a nice settlement...

11. Jan 30, 2024 at 10:42 AM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, you weren't blasting 80 MPH past 30 MPH traffic like an idiot.

I know it's generally advised to only be 10 MPH above traffic and not to do it if traffic is going over 30, but I haven't seen anything carved in stone for it.

TacoTyusday[QUOTED] and YF_Ryan like this.
  12. Jan 30, 2024 at 10:46 AM
    TacoTyusday

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Technically, the 10mph above traffic flow, and is a "guideline" and not a hard law. I've lane split past police at 80 when traffic was 70, hell i've even had CHP move over in the HOV lane to let me by at normal traffic speeds, they're pretty supportive of it generally. Just can't be reckless about it.

13. Jan 30, 2024 at 11:11 AM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I know it's just a recommendation. That's cool that the police are on board and cool like that. Very neat.

I can understand the initial opposition to splitting, because it seems sketchy from a car perspective and the automatic assumption of the worst kind of idiots doing it. (See Gixxxer Brah and others) But, after seeing the data and studies along with the accidents dropping for bikes with the implementation in placed like CA, only an ostrich would not be ok with it. Sadly, I have a friend who is like that. He refuses to believe that it's safe and openly states that he's block the lane and be an ass.

The city he is in has recently allowed lane filtering, so I kinda hope he does something like that in front of a cop and gets lined out. He needs to know that he doesn't get to be an aggressive driver just because he's scared.

TacoTyusday[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jan 30, 2024 at 11:38 AM
    TacoTyusday

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Definitely can understand the initial opposition, I can fully see how it's alarming to cars/drivers who aren't expecting it. Especially when you get the guys who split traffic at 30mph+ the traffic speed, or the guys who "lane split" but are really just weaving in an out of every lane, rather than splitting 2 specific lanes.

That said I don't understand how people can still be against it at this point lol. Statistically proven to be safer and reduce accidents/congestion, and is strongly supported by the CHP. IDK why anyone would want to make a motorcyclist wait in traffic with them anyways, we're obnoxious, we're reckless, and our bikes are loud!

I'll say, I've heard and seen the stories/videos about people who block motorcycles with their car, or open a car door. It's always a thought in the back of my mind when I'm commuting home from work.

15. Jan 30, 2024 at 12:00 PM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    The only thing for this is that not all other states/locations have shared the info. In CA it is absurd, for sure, but in a state that hasn't had it and the average driver doesn't pay attention enough to know it gets implemented... well that's a recipe for disaster. That would be something I would think should be put on billboards, announced on radio stations, pamphlets given to everyone who sets foot in a DMV, etc. That kind of change should be loud and clear. Sadly, it's usually just a blurb on the back page of a paper because what the Crap-dashians are doing is more important to most.

YF_Ryan and TacoTyusday[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Jan 30, 2024 at 12:00 PM
    JeffRoyJenkins

JeffRoyJenkins Essentially Non-Essential

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    Nothing too exciting... maybe a little rust
    Even though it is still not legal here, I have started filtering at stoplights on occasion when appropriate. Last year there was a law put forward to allow it and even in the face of overwhelming data and evidence in favor of it being safer, one of the main reasons given for not moving it along was that people in cars are not used to it and might be startled by motorcycles showing up between them. So it sounds like the only answer to get them used to it and make it legal is to start getting people used to it by doing what is illegal. The most I have gotten so far is a few honks from people upset that I am beating them through a 10 minute line at a stop light.

The idea of someone doing something beyond that or jumping in front of me does cause some anxiety but not as much as staring in the mirrors when I'm sitting at a stop light.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
  17. Jan 30, 2024 at 12:26 PM
    YF_Ryan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    I'm all for making it legal, but people doing it illegally is a problem. I'm here in WA, too, and in all my years of driving I've only seen people lane split about half a dozen times, and all 6 of them were doing it in a ridiculously unsafe manner. Like someone on the freeway wheelie-ing between cars, or the one that barely squeezed between my truck and a box trailer, us 40-45 around a corner on maple valley highway with the bike doing 10-20mph faster.

Edit: Those half a dozen I just meant in WA. I've seen lots when in California, and only ever surprised me once. They know what they are doing and it never bothered me.

TacoTyusday likes this.
  18. Jan 30, 2024 at 12:32 PM
    TacoTyusday

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    yeah it would definitely be risky when first implemented in many other states. Would take probably at least a few years before it's safer to do so lol.

While lane splitting is definitely a concern as far as alarming fellow motorists, I just don't see any reason filtering at lights/stopped traffic shouldn't be legal, particularly for that reason. Plenty of things can startle a driver, none of which should cause an accident if they're already stopped.

yeah I'm always monitoring my mirrors until someone is stopped behind me. Even then I'm still checking periodically.

kidsmoke, Tatts521 and 50Buck[QUOTED] like this.
  19. Jan 30, 2024 at 12:35 PM
    Tatts521

Tatts521 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    New Jersey, Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2012 tacoma-00 honda accord-04cbr1000rr-22ktm890duke R-19 wr450f-98rm250
    Welp guess my ktm is going back to the dealer. Turned it on over the weekend. And got a message saying immobilizer failure screen was flashing. Bike only has 850mi on it. Smh

20. Jan 30, 2024 at 12:36 PM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    That bites. :(

Tatts521[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in