1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Motorcycles BS Thread 2.0

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by Sacrifice, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Apr 17, 2024 at 6:01 AM
    Calamity_taco

Calamity_taco your friendly neighborhood weeb :3

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    I have no idea. send help!
    Vehicle:
    2015 sr5 access cab, 97 & 98 civic coupe, 03 klx400, 2014 yamaha bolt
    just a couple of things tbh
    no idea who that was lol idk anyone that had a duke 390 minus my buddy. i was bored and looking at the 790s which sound amazing but not the biggest fan of the look lol or the price haha

2. Apr 17, 2024 at 6:43 AM
    50Buck

50Buck Living rent free Timmy the Tool's head

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2024 Ferd F150 XLT, 2019 Yamaha Super Tenéré
    I was finally able to get the bike home a few days ago. So nice to get a ride in, even though it was super short. Planned to do more, but weather was soaking for a few days. Yesterday it was supposed to be good weather and I was meeting some friends for lunch, so a perfect opportunity to get out and ride.

Except they decided that my road needed repair so it had graders, rollers, and water trucks up and down it with big loose dirt/gravel ridges all over the road and a bunch of mag water on it. :annoyed:

nd4spdbh and Calamity_taco like this.
  3. Apr 17, 2024 at 7:07 AM
    Calamity_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Vehicle:
    rally time just rip it lol

50Buck[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Apr 17, 2024 at 7:08 AM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Hey, @nd4spdbh how close are you to these two bikes? If I were to get serious about purchasing one of them and they are not way far away from you, could I con you into making an inspection for me? I'd be happy to pay for your time and expertise, as I would trust you more than an oil change tech at a dealership.

Notice I said "IF" I get serious. Still very preliminary.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
  5. Apr 17, 2024 at 7:10 AM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Not on these stock tires. They are ok on a dirt road, but mag water is slick and nasty. Doesn't come off easily either. I don't want that crap on my truck, let alone on my bike.

Calamity_taco[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Apr 17, 2024 at 8:03 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto

Unfortunately neither are necessarily close and I dont plan on being out that direction. I literally try not to go anywhere close to LA cus its always such a shit show. Black area is only entered if I ABSOLUTELY have to lol. Im in the green circle and to get to the closest bike in duarte its a solid hr n a half one way most times, further bike in yucaipa is 2.5hrs.

upload_2024-4-17_7-58-59.png

That stated, IF I plan on traveling that direction Ill hit you up and maybe I can swing by, theres great dirtbike riding just north of the bike to the right in this pic up around big bear lake been meaning to get up there.

7. Apr 17, 2024 at 8:25 AM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    100% understand and agree. I don't want to go anywhere near any of it either! Honestly, the newer bike with more miles has more appeal than the 2016. Love its color, but the low miles makes me worry it's just been idled every so often and never actually run in the last few years. I know that kind of treatment is bad for a bike, and I don't want the headache.

The newer one is obviously used and ridden, given the crash bars and barkbusters have rash on them, but that's a good thing. My only real concern on it is if the maintenance was done and if the melted dash might be an issue or have been tampered with. I'd be checking its screws for tool marks and such, because I don't put it past people to lie about an odometer. The price is just so low I'm suspicious, but that might be because it's not pristine.

8. Apr 17, 2024 at 9:12 AM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto

The melted dash is likely from the windscreen being parked just right to go kid with magnifying glass burning ants on it. It's been reported a few times.

7600 miles, 2019. I'd have no problem getting the bike, changing oil (if it wasn't documented to be changed in the last yr) and riding across the country.

Once I got it home a good onceover to check tightness of major things, including full brake and clutch fluid change, coolant, rear gear oil, and a retorque of the steering stem (known to loosen from factory).

But really that would be standard things to do on any used bike, or really any bike that's 4+ yrs old.

I got my bike with 21k miles on it, it had been off road a bunch in the AZ desert clay, as well as the wet roads of the PNW where I picked it up (Eugene OR) and rode home 1200mi with nothing more than making sure it had oil in it. I went through the ENTIRE bike (greased drive shaft splines, swing arm off to grease all pivots, forks off to grease steering stem bearings, tank off to replace fuel filter sock etc etc etc), and really the only thing specific to the tenere that needed to be addressed was proper torquing down of the steering stem bearings. Which in itself is very easy (I have the special socket I can send you).

The rest of the stuff I did looking back wasn't needed for much more than peace of mind. Chassis/suspension pivot points had plenty of grease from the factory (2015 w/ 21k miles), fuel pump pre filter was clean and flowed amazingly well, drive shaft splines were clean and greased still.

Needless to say unless the bike has been brutally abused the super tenere is a simple low maintenance bike that won't let you down. Long haul Paul put like 100+k miles on two of em and he even admittedly stated "I didn't keep up with maintenance very well"

EDIT - Its a heavy bike that on paper wins nothing compared to its competitors. But the documented reliability, parts availability, overall useable power and weight that disappears once you move above 5mph isnt something that can be stated on paper via specs. I might be biased cus I own one, but I had intentions of riding it home 1200mi just for the ride and selling it cus I could sell for a profit and ended up keeping it. It blows my mind every time I take it out and absolutely enjoy the ride and how quick I can mob through the tight canyon roads. I dont regret selling my naked sport bike one bit. That stated, its NOT a bike id be buying if i was wanting to do much of any off roading.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
  9. Apr 17, 2024 at 9:25 AM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Good to know! That really was my only hesitation... Which now means that I am trying to find an excuse not to get it.

How much would you charge me to pick it up the bike and tear through it? :boink: :rofl:

I don't have the space or tools to do it, and most shops around here it's a gamble. Sometimes they do what they say, and sometimes they just rubberstamp the checklist and do next to nothing. I need to start researching what all is involved in all of that stuff so I can plan for it, I suppose.

10. Apr 17, 2024 at 9:29 AM
    BkerChuck

BkerChuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Etters, PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport Blazing Blue Pearl
    This is one of those times I wish I were closer to you guys. I know several FJR owners who have a Super Ten as a second bike or have owned one in their past. Fairly often FJR owners host "tech days" at their homes where we get together and work on bikes and a Tenere would very likely be welcomed. I'm not sure but would imagine there may be some Super Tenere forums and they might be worth signing up for

50Buck[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Apr 17, 2024 at 9:37 AM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto

Oh.... we can make plans, You can fly into burbank on an early sat flight (or later on friday and uber to me), I can pick you up, go check out the bike, buy it, ride it following me back to my place. Sunday we go through the entire bike, monday you head home on your new whip.

Cost: gas in the truck for the drive out n back, some beer and pizza.

2 nights stay - free. I can pick up oils/supplies needed (or you get them shipped to my place beforehand).

Needless to say, ill be the cheap devil on your shoulder hahah!

12. Apr 17, 2024 at 9:46 AM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    :goingcrazy:

nd4spdbh[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Apr 17, 2024 at 9:52 AM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Feel free to PM and we can go from there ;)

:drunk::drunk::drunk:

BkerChuck and 50Buck[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Apr 17, 2024 at 10:33 AM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    You're not making it easy to resist the bike. I'm actually researching flights to Burbank or Ontario airports on my next few sets of days off.

15. Apr 17, 2024 at 10:41 AM
    BkerChuck

BkerChuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Etters, PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport Blazing Blue Pearl
    We are SUCH enablers on this thread........:yes:

16. Apr 17, 2024 at 10:45 AM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Yes. Yes, we are.

BkerChuck[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Apr 17, 2024 at 11:16 AM
    Calamity_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Vehicle:
    now that is a way to push someone to buy things lmao i say do it haha!

nd4spdbh[QUOTED] and 50Buck like this.
  18. Apr 17, 2024 at 11:39 AM
    kidsmoke

kidsmoke Well-Known Member

Member:
    Flyover Country
    Vehicle:
    '13 BR AC SR5 4x4 AT
    only contribuiting because you stirred my nostalgia. I lived by Duarte (Hastings Ranch/Sierra Madre/Monrovia) for a minute in '85 - '86. Yeah. I'm getting grey. I became proficient by riding dirt bikes in Azusa Canyon, as a couple buddies from San Marino were sponsored. We'd go out there in a lifted Toyota Pickup (pre Tacoma) with a couple bikes and more than a couple beers (hey. it was the 80's and we were immortal). You could say that short period burned these combined interests into my brain and here I am.

I Roll through Camarillo every so often since my GF's family is in Santa Barbara and we fly into LA. Hope to visit the Larrivee plant in Oxnard one of these days. I've heard how insane LA is to drive in. Hard to believe the time people spend looking through a windshield.

Ok. memory lane detour complete. As you were.

19. Apr 17, 2024 at 12:35 PM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto

If I can help a fellow rider / tw member out hell yeah!

Another thought, if you get in friday, we head out early sat morning, pick bike up (can throw it in the bed of my truck or you ride it back your choice). Do any major maintenance sat evening. Sunday morning, we head out for a ride and I show you around some cool spots in the malibu hills. Sunday evening finish up any odds n ends, then kick you out Monday morning for your ride home!

Food for thought :devil:

20. Apr 17, 2024 at 1:22 PM
    50Buck

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Full disclosure, city riding slightly worries me. That's a long ass ride for you over to where the bike is as well. It's very generous, but I don't like to impose.

However, you did get the gears turning and I'm looking into all my options for blowing more money on a bike... again. LOL

nd4spdbh[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top