1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Motorcycles BS Thread 2.0

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by Sacrifice, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Apr 25, 2024 at 8:12 PM
    VTCAL

VTCAL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Sport
    VFR grips are thin, I've run the bulky grips, and then return to "less is more".

(eta The VFR is the least "buzzy" motorbike I have ever ridden. It rivals a Vespa P200e) Smooth as glass through the bars at cruising revs.)

also, I roll up some plexi-glass throttle pads that take the "grip" out of holding the right hand. the effort falls to the palm. Best thing since sliced bread.

something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Cruis...5451718&mcid=9aad06c1715030f68cd09c34a0b3d7ef

Again, if it were the grips, why does the numbness and tingles "heal thyself"?
    And what about the left hand? It goes sour also.

2. Apr 25, 2024 at 8:13 PM
    but why tho

but why tho Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1991 Pickup
    I always get the "riding in a straight line is boring" comments, to which I don't disagree but high mileage is the point of Iron Butt rides and I enjoy the mental aspect of being able to ride for so long. It's not for everyone, and I spend a lot of time in the twisties anyways (usually every weekend when the weather is nice). Plus, the point of the trip was to get to Denver to do other stuff, so I wanted the ride to be as short as possible.

BkerChuck and nd4spdbh like this.
  3. Apr 25, 2024 at 8:13 PM
    Calamity_taco

Calamity_taco your friendly neighborhood weeb :3

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    I have no idea. send help!
    Vehicle:
    2015 sr5 access cab, 97 & 98 civic coupe, 03 klx400, 2014 yamaha bolt
    just a couple of things tbh
    you can rebuild them yes and its cheap thankfully. tbh i should have back when i got the new petcock two years ago... stupid oem thing was pricey af so dont really wanna waste money on another oem one like shit... but might have to if it starts leaking again

4. Apr 25, 2024 at 8:15 PM
    but why tho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1991 Pickup
    I get salty because it's a topic beaten to death and I come here to talk motorcycles, not get in a pissing match about what state is the best to live in. If your idea of "hazing" is repeating the same shit over and over, then yeah I'm going to take a break once in a while and actually spend my time doing something I enjoy.

Also, I've come to the conclusion that corporate america is shit and I just put in my 8 hours and dip. Companies will use any excuse they can to not promote you anyways so what's the point. I'd rather spend more time riding.

5. Apr 25, 2024 at 8:22 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Have you changed wrist position? Watch pressure on the wrists!

Glad to hear things have been going good and are in a positive direction and the S10 has been treating you well..... You have put SO MANY MILES ON! Hell yeah dude! 9k miles in 5mo.... I have put 6k on in 1.5 yrs on mine haha. Needless to say sounds like you have your priorities in order! Any issues with the S10 in that time or just the random quirks that you and I have talked about?

Couldnt. Agree. With. You. More.

In the very same mindset right now at work and it sucks as it used to be a great place to work ruined by a select few making the decisions following the narrative sheep.

but why tho[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Apr 25, 2024 at 8:28 PM
    Calamity_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Vehicle:
    there was no pissing match... but take it as you will...

thats been a thing for years sadly.. just gotta go in get your 8 hours and dip.. my last job i got stuck a few times coving my shift on 2nd and covering the 3rd shift because of company needs so i had to be there.. did that for a week or so straight and it was awful

7. Apr 25, 2024 at 8:31 PM
    VTCAL

VTCAL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Sport

nd4spdbh[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Apr 25, 2024 at 8:35 PM
    VTCAL

VTCAL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Sport

Time has it's own set of values.

But..

Having recently traveled that similar route (in my Tacoma ;-) There are some wonderful spots to STOP and enjoy. I was not making comment on "riding a straight line". Rather, it is an encouragement to "smell the roses".
    I've been in both places, and celebrate Your efforts! CHEERS to YOU!

but why tho[QUOTED] and nd4spdbh like this.
  9. Apr 25, 2024 at 8:35 PM
    Calamity_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Vehicle:
    honestly never had wrist pains on my bike but it is very upright lol. i know my buddy on his goldwing has talked about his wrists hurting after a long time riding but i think thats his seating postion he sits kinda odd tbh..

yaaa my work has finally calmed down after the whole union thing and since we didnt strike everything seems fine for now? still have a few issues like hr going backwards on the contract we signed since they are pulling the we didnt intende it to be this so we wont honor that so thats been a fun fight... one of the fights is sick time which we were told would be prorated back. well according to hr they didnt mean that and its wrong so now anyone in april (since our new contract goes into effect in may 1st or somethin?) gets less sick time and wont actually earn any for a few months so i lose sick time hurrray

nd4spdbh[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Apr 25, 2024 at 8:59 PM
    oldtoyman

oldtoyman Small bore freak

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    North of Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2012 Yamaha FZ1, 2019 Honda monkey , 2023 klx300 ,2013 prerunner TRD off-road
    Maybe try some compression gloves to help with circulation. I would wear them after work to help with the swelling in my hands from years as a carpenter. I also have a very light grip on the bars and concentrate to relax and shake out my arms every so often.

fatfurious2 likes this.
  11. Apr 25, 2024 at 9:33 PM
    spencermarkd

spencermarkd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Pullman, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 Driftwood Pearl 4Runner
    Is it your whole hand or does it start in your pinky and ring fingers? If so, could actually be your elbow and not your grip. Ulnar nerve getting annoyed:
    https://carpaltunnelpros.com/2014/11/04/riding-a-motorcycle-and-having-hand-painthey-dont-have-to-go-together/#:~:text=Placing the elbow in flexion,, small, and ring fingers.

12. Apr 25, 2024 at 11:08 PM
    but why tho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1991 Pickup

No issues, other than the OEM $300+ heated grips crapping out in about 3 weeks. I replaced those with the Koso Apollo grips, and I replaced the throttle tube housing with one off of a 1st gen S10 without the heated grip wire housing so it's a lot less bulky. I had to take a bunch of slack out of the throttle cable with the adjuster, but when I do the valve check/adjustment I'll fix the slack on the throttle body side.

Thankfully since my commute will be going from 250 miles a week to ~30 (more like 120 actually since I'm still planning on going to the same gym since all my friends go there), my mileage won't be as crazy, though I'm still hoping to average ~15k a year since I'll have more time and energy to get to the fun riding.

Speaking of which, I'm still planning on signing up for some track days with the KTM. I was hoping to go this month/next month but the moving has kind of thrown that out the window for now. Hoping to go in June!

Honestly the commute and my dislike of working is one of the big reasons we're moving, my commute will be cut to 1/4th and my wife's will be cut by 1/2. It's not worth slaving away at a crappy job AND having to spend hours getting there. At least now I can save 1.5 hours a day and a ton of wear and tear on my bike by not having to commute so much.

13. Apr 25, 2024 at 11:09 PM
    but why tho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1991 Pickup
    Oh, for sure, just this time I didn't have that much PTO from work so I had to plow through the miles, and I wanted to complete the Iron Butt rides as well. Next year if I go again I'll either try and camp at a few places or take a more scenic route. I was actually really tempted to pull off at the Grand Canyon this time but didn't have the time to do so.

14. Apr 26, 2024 at 12:12 AM
    Kwik87

Kwik87 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Tacoma
  15. Apr 26, 2024 at 3:37 AM
    BkerChuck

BkerChuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Etters, PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport Blazing Blue Pearl
    Congrats on the cert rides! Especially the BBG! Glad to see you back BTW.

I'm in the planning stages to do the Ride around PA Saddlesore coming up around Memorial Day Weekend with @FreshOldTaco. He wants to try his first IBA ride and we'd been in talks about doing it together. Since I signed up as a Premier member we can do it under their mentoring program and split the cost of the certs between the 2 of us and his will be able to be certified faster under the Premier program.

How was the BBG ride? I'd like to try a BBG but living in the northeast it might be a little more challenging. Glad you're enjoying the Super Ten.

16. Apr 26, 2024 at 6:27 AM
    FreshOldTaco

FreshOldTaco Well-Known Rider

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    above the storm
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma
    Folks here have made some good suggestions. Strange it clears up after an hour, do you think there's any chance you're unconsciously relaxing your grip and that's why it clears? Or does it only happen when holding a certain speed/RPM range?

I feel like I had a few variables in my situation, I don't recall having issues with throttle hand numbness prior to injuries. I also switched bikes soon after getting back riding so that was another change. Being off the bike for a while and the time it takes to fully heal had an impact as I had to rebuild strength/endurance. But the Grip puppies definitely helped and I like the extra padding, my thumbs will get sore especially when riding spirited or doing repeated hard braking or clutch use. Glad @BkerChuck recommended them, I pretty much take all his advice lol

I started plotting the points on the map, also rode to the first stops in Lancaster and Philly to check them out since they're close by, per the selfie I sent ha. That reminds me I still haven't heard from Seth yet if he started my seat. Also have a few other things to prepare. I'm looking forward to the adventure hoping I can do it!
    And glad to see you posting again @but why tho :cheers:

17. Apr 26, 2024 at 7:44 AM
    50Buck

50Buck Living rent free Timmy the Tool's head

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2024 Ferd F150 XLT, 2019 Yamaha Super Tenéré
    Welcome back. :wave:

When you got the Super Tenere what maintenance items did you go through to make sure it was all good to go? I know @nd4spdbh has a whole list he's suggested, but you've just been through it all and I'd like your perspective.

but why tho[QUOTED] and nd4spdbh like this.
  18. Apr 26, 2024 at 8:46 AM
    but why tho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1991 Pickup
    Thanks! The BBG ride wasn't too bad at all, I was actually really surprised. I did stick to the interstate so it was pretty smooth sailing vs the last SaddleSore I did in October on the Versys that was mostly twisty roads and had a lot of traffic.

I had a hotel picked out in Albuquerque in case I didn't feel good enough to keep riding through the night, but when I passed the hotel I was still wide awake. I did cut out caffeine over the past month and then started having it again for the ride which kept me wired. I left at 8AM PST from my place and got to Denver the next morning at 7AM PST. The nice thing about the 24 hour rides is since you'll be riding for almost all 24 hours anyways, you don't need to wake up at the crack of dawn to go.

The ride home was way harder since I didn't sleep well (I hate hotels) and had stayed up late with friends for the previous few nights but the bike was great and made it fairly straightforward. The hardest part was the weather - it went down to 32F up in the Rockies and then was over 100F in Las Vegas.

Good luck on your Saddlesore with @FreshOldTaco !

I just found out that Seth at Laam is moving from Redding to WV this week. I kept putting off getting a seat made because I had just gotten the S10 and also didn't really want to drop the $1k on the dual heated seats just yet but looks like I ran out of time. :(

Maybe that's why you haven't heard back yet? He might be in the middle of moving.

Also since I've done 3k miles in a weekend on the stock seat now, maybe I don't need another seat.

19. Apr 26, 2024 at 8:52 AM
    but why tho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1991 Pickup
    Thanks! I did:

- Engine oil and filter
    - Rear end oil
    - Brake fluid & clutch fluid (including cycling ABS pump)
    - Greased clutch pivot point as suggested by @nd4spdbh and @BkerChuck
    - Tires

I did the engine oil/filter and rear end oil again at 19k miles, mainly for this trip and also because as @nd4spdbh said, the Rotella T6 started getting notchy. I paid up for the Yamalube OEM oil ($50/gal :eek:) and haven't had any notchiness since.

At 24k miles I'm going to check the valves, do the spark plugs, air filter, valve cover gasket, oil/filter, rear end oil and coolant, as well as get a new tire. I'm trying to not ride as much right now to put off the 24k mile service since I don't have a garage at the moment and am waiting to sign a lease on a new place.

Hopefully you're closer to getting one! I can't recommend this bike enough. At this point there is no other bike, new or used, that I'd take over this one.

nd4spdbh and 50Buck[QUOTED] like this.
  20. Apr 26, 2024 at 9:34 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    YAY! Glad you are enjoying it big time! I love mine every time I hop on it.

FYI Try out Rotella T4 15w-40 next go around for oil, the conventional T4 15w-40 has better shear strength vs the t6 5w-40 and is jaso ma certified as well. About the only other thing id add to your maintenance is re-torqueing the steering stem bearing preload.

Products Discussed in

To Top