1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Motorcycles (Cruiser to be specific)

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by C17Guy, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Mar 25, 2010 at 9:02 AM
    C17Guy

C17Guy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Charleston, SC/ Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Readylift Kit, 245/75/16, HID's, Debadged, Kenwood DNX9960 Double Din Navigation, Image Dynamics Door Components, Pioneer Amp, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Grillcraft Uppers and Lowers
    Hey guys,

Naw, I'm not new to riding... all my riding has been done on 3 gixxers and 1 Triumph. As you can see, all sport bike based models.

Here's the deal, I've sold 2 of my 3 and am looking at getting a cruiser now. I have no idea what to look for though. Currently have an opportunity to pick up a Yamaha Road Star 1700cc. Beautiful bike! It's a 2002 with 20,000 miles though. Is this common in the cruiser world? Usually high mileage will bring down a sport bike tremendously. The guys is still asking 5 g's for it. Fair or should it be lower?

2. Mar 25, 2010 at 9:05 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Sounds like a fair price. Have you ridden it yet? Make sure you'll be happy with the power, especially after coming down from sport bikes.

Have you considered another Triumph? I have a Rocket III and it's a fantastic ride. Cruises beautifully and is quick enough off the line to eat sportbikes.

3. Mar 25, 2010 at 9:07 AM
    FirstCohort

FirstCohort Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DC LB 4x4 BSP
    WeatherTech Vent visors, access soft roll-up bed cover, factory side steps, factory bed mat, weathertech floorliner fore and aft, tinted front windows- State legal 50% : (
    should be lower, the mileage is not uncommon for that year in fact I would say thats low mileage. I have more than that on my 2007. I ride a Honda VTX 1300 with 23,000 on the odometer. Scooting back and forth to work adds up quickly. I get much better MPG and the miles are not on the truck. I too came from sport bikes. First was an 2002 R6 that was traded for an 05 CBR 1000RR then to the VTX. Much fewer lower back aches with the cruiser.

4. Mar 25, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    pwrstrk02

pwrstrk02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    randy
    kansas city missouri
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4,dc,off road, black pearl
    cruisers have completely dif. motors, tecnology, and long distance reliability. 20k for an import is nothing. as far as the price?. the 1700cc has good power, but if you came off of sport bikes, then no stock cruiser will satisify your need for power. if all you want to do ic cruise then go for it, it dosent sound like youll be getting ripped off on the price.
    i ride an 09 harley street glide and couldnt be happier, minus the payments.

5. Mar 25, 2010 at 10:54 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Not exactly. My cruiser currently has 150 ft/lbs of torque at 2500 rpms and peaks around 150 hp.

From the factory the numbers were not far off from that and the stock bike did 0-60mph in 2.8 seconds.

I rode a Harley for years and upgraded when there was finally a cruiser worth upgrading to. I did all kinds of modifications to the Harley, including a lot of engine work, and the stock Triumph idles with more torque than my old Harley made at peak.

6. Mar 25, 2010 at 10:59 AM
    cjh

cjh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    10 doublecab
    Make sure the bike fits you physically. I'm 6'-1" and I felt the yamahas were a little light on the leg room for me. My vtx 1300 fit me better. You situation may be different. Price wise for around my area, that isn't bad. 20,000 miles is just broken in for a metric bike. It will last, if maintained for 80 to 100,000 miles with good maintenance.

7. Mar 25, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    C17Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Vehicle:
    Readylift Kit, 245/75/16, HID's, Debadged, Kenwood DNX9960 Double Din Navigation, Image Dynamics Door Components, Pioneer Amp, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Grillcraft Uppers and Lowers
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the response! Yea, I'm not too concerned about speed anymore, but its always nice to have that throttle response when you need to get out of a situation. My bike list is '97 Gixxer 600, '06 Gixxer 600, '07 Gixxer 1000, and '08 Triumph Speed Triple. By far the trip is my new favorite bike to ride. All others are gone except the Gixxer which I use for track now (when I have time).

Sounds like maybe this is a good deal and will def. look into it further now that you guys chimed in. I thought 1700cc was a big bike, but the bike isn't heavy to where its uncomfortable to hold up. Paint is still flawless, bike was kept in the garage the entire time. I did ask to see service records which the current owner is getting from his dealership and then maybe we'll have a deal. It does have pipes, sad. bags, and a small removable windshield. I'll probably low ball him at 4 and see what we come up with between that and 5. Either way, as long as I know the mileage isn't a big factor that I should be happy!

8. Mar 25, 2010 at 1:29 PM
    pwrstrk02

pwrstrk02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    randy
    kansas city missouri
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4,dc,off road, black pearl
    well if he came off af a gixxer 1000, yea im not even going to argue, there isnt a stock cruiser that will even think about touching one of those. 600s, yea, but 1000s, no.

9. Mar 25, 2010 at 1:46 PM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    0-100 the Rocket III has them beat. I've spanked Hyabusas time and again with my bike. One time I had a passenger when I pulled up next to a 'busa. Fortunately he didn't know how to ride and I ended up beating him too. :p

It's the torque that does it, but beyond 100mph the sport bikes pull away like I'm sitting still.

All done in a controlled, legal way, of course. ;)

10. Mar 25, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    C17Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Vehicle:

Of course :D

Products Discussed in

To Top