1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mountain Bike VS. Road Bike

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by alwaysfaded, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Jul 8, 2013 at 10:28 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat "Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."

Member:
    First Name:
    Chaz
    Nebraska/South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    93 Pickup 4x4 [22R-E] 5MT
    OME suspension, LCE Performance parts, Konigs, etc. [see build]
    I have a road and mountain bike and will tell you for commuting the road bike will be better unless you're really pounding on it constantly.

Due to spine and hand problems and a wrist surgery I unfortunately have had to give up the drop bars. I would recommend a cyclocross to you as well but IF you like the upright riding position better there are hybrid options. I just picked up a Trek 7.5 FX to accomodate my spine/hands and in the first week my top speed has been 26 mph. Not great, but I am more than comfortable for commuting.

[​IMG]

2. Jul 8, 2013 at 10:40 AM
    NorthRoad

NorthRoad Listen More that Speak... Answer When Asked

Member:
    Alberta Canada
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport 'Recce; Expo; Crew Truck'
    Just gotten started... Faux-Beadlock Rims , Leveling Kit, Solid Tonneau w/ Toolbox Inset, Mesh Grills, Nerfs w/steps, Window Tint, Lit 'Buggy-Whip', 'Blinky' Safety Light, CB Radio, 2nd Battery, Air, Decal Peel and Debadge
    Looks like hybrid tire pattern from the pic? What is the PSI rating on those?

I hear your pain. I had trouble balancing, keeping up with the kids on trails and keeping speed in the city. My solution... old school solid frame 'Rocky Mountain Fusion' (actually bought it new in 92!?) and two sets of wheels.
    1. Mountain 'nubbs' for trips into the hills
    2. Road slicks (@80/100 PSI) for the pavement
    Kept same rim width so break adjustments are identical... both rear sprockets have been tuned to be interchangeable! Just put in +++km over the Yellowhead Pass with full touring gear on the slicks... got there, swapped rubber and played on the trails.
    Can post a pic if you like?

Even though we are a truck board... :thumbsup::thumbsup: for riding. Demand your lane and let'em go around! :poking:

Cheers NorthRoad

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  3. Jul 13, 2013 at 4:29 PM
    alwaysfaded

alwaysfaded [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So. Cal.
    Vehicle:
    08 Black taco, 5 spd.
    blacked out tint, k&n drop in, removed secondary filter, kenwood 7" touchscreen, 12" memphis audio sub, 1000 watt amp, Alpine type R conponets
    So I didn't know what the PSI on the tires were. I went to my local bike shop and he told me around 60 PSI. He told me if I wanted to go faster, replace the tires with skinny tires, and tubes. Like you said around 100 PSI. I think that would be a good idea.

4. Jul 14, 2013 at 7:12 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat "Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."

Member:
    First Name:
    Chaz
    Nebraska/South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    93 Pickup 4x4 [22R-E] 5MT
    OME suspension, LCE Performance parts, Konigs, etc. [see build]
    I have found going from 28s to 25 on my hybrid to be the most efficient/still comfortable and definitely picked up a few mph just from that small change.

5. Jul 14, 2013 at 7:39 AM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Mr. President

Member:
    Yeah 25s are the best of both worlds. I would not want to commute on 23s but that's. personal preference.

To Top