1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mountain Bikes....

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Lentsnh, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Mar 18, 2009 at 7:38 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    If you are riding trails and on the road from time to time, I think a hard tail is the proper bike. But you say you are looking to do dirt jumping as well, that makes it a bit more difficult to put you on a single bike that will do all well. I would still think a hard tail would fit the bill better than a full suspension bike, especially given your price point. If you were to find something at that price in full suspension, either you got a tremendously good deal or you bought a piece of crap.

I am a bit of a specialized homer, so I'd say look at a hardrock. Good solid bike, and it should last. It will also meet your price point. But, if you can spend a little bit more, the rockhopper will probably last you longer and typically comes with a little bit better components. But its base price is the upper limit of your budget.

Go to a bike store and test ride a couple of bikes. A good bike that fits you well is well worth the money.

2. Mar 18, 2009 at 7:42 PM
    JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy Active Member

Member:
    North Cascades, Washington State
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4 2.7
    2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4 2.7L 5sp manual, A.R.E. MX Series Canopy, Shrockworks Front Winch Bumper with Center Hoop and Headlight Gaurds, C.B.I. Offroad Fabrication Custom Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier, Pro Comp Xtreme Alloy Series 7089 Rims, Pro Comp All Terrain Tires 265/75/16, Sway A Way 2.5" Coil Over Front Kit, Sway A Way 2.0" Rear Shock Kit, Camburg 1 1/4" Uni Ball Upper A-Arms, Differential Drop Kit, Wheeler's 1.5" Add A Leaf Kit, K&N Aircharger 63 Series Cold Air Intake, PIAA 510 Series Ion Crystal Yellow Fog Lights, PIAA 520 ATP All Terrain Pattern Driving Lights, Toyota Tacoma Bed Mat, Toyota Tacoma Cargo Cross Bars, Cargo Basket, Husky Custom Molded Floor Liners, Cover King Custom Ultratough Ballistic Seat Covers. Hi-Lift All-Cast Jack, Quick Fist Tool Mounts
    I totally agree with Silverback07, the better the bike, the better the ride. All the bikes I've had, I built up from the ground up. I personally like full suspension bike with either the 4 bar horst link type of suspension like Specialized, Ellsworth and old Intenses or the VPP style suspension like the new Intenses, Santa Cruz etc... A good do it all bike is'nt easy to find but there's something that will work in that price range just be patient and you'll find a good deal.

3. Mar 18, 2009 at 7:48 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    I used to have a rockhopper, they're great also. As they've said, id just depends on how much you're willing to spend. You get what you pay for.

4. Mar 18, 2009 at 7:49 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    That can't be $700. If it is... GO GET IT & RUN!
    I paid $2200. Reg. price was $2400. That was for an 08. The 09 is more. Where did you see this? Perhaps I want to buy it! LOL.
    [​IMG]

5. Mar 18, 2009 at 7:52 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
  6. Mar 18, 2009 at 7:54 PM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Is that your bike??? I want something just like that.

How much are the Homemade bike mounts?

7. Mar 18, 2009 at 8:04 PM
    JustSomeGuy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4 2.7L 5sp manual, A.R.E. MX Series Canopy, Shrockworks Front Winch Bumper with Center Hoop and Headlight Gaurds, C.B.I. Offroad Fabrication Custom Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier, Pro Comp Xtreme Alloy Series 7089 Rims, Pro Comp All Terrain Tires 265/75/16, Sway A Way 2.5" Coil Over Front Kit, Sway A Way 2.0" Rear Shock Kit, Camburg 1 1/4" Uni Ball Upper A-Arms, Differential Drop Kit, Wheeler's 1.5" Add A Leaf Kit, K&N Aircharger 63 Series Cold Air Intake, PIAA 510 Series Ion Crystal Yellow Fog Lights, PIAA 520 ATP All Terrain Pattern Driving Lights, Toyota Tacoma Bed Mat, Toyota Tacoma Cargo Cross Bars, Cargo Basket, Husky Custom Molded Floor Liners, Cover King Custom Ultratough Ballistic Seat Covers. Hi-Lift All-Cast Jack, Quick Fist Tool Mounts
    You said you want a full suspension bike for dirt jumping but I would say that 95% of dirt jump bikes are hardtails because they are more efficient for that style of riding.

8. Mar 18, 2009 at 8:07 PM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    What about the Gary Fisher Roscoe I bike? Kona?

9. Mar 18, 2009 at 8:08 PM
    JustSomeGuy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Check Kona Bikes out. They make good dirt jump bikes.

10. Mar 18, 2009 at 8:17 PM
    JustSomeGuy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The roscoe is'nt a dirt jumper. Maybe we're talking about different styles of riding. A dirt jump bike is close to its ancester the bmx bike. Whatever, only you know what you want.

11. Mar 18, 2009 at 8:17 PM
    kvnhlstd

kvnhlstd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Valley of the Sun (Hot Sun)
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4X4
    Before you buy... check out bikesdirect.com

They are out of taiwan and build the specialized/trek bikes as well as their brand, Motobecane. All top of the line components and a fraction of the price. I bought three of them for about $1100.00 dollars.

12. Mar 18, 2009 at 8:20 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    I've got a 2008 Specialized XC Comp. Its a full susp. XC bike, but is pretty good all around. Its fairly efficient for around town with suspension lockout, and great on trails. I've even hit some 3-4ft drops and 5-6 stair drops with it and its great. Been really happy with it, except its quite a bit out of your price range @ $1500. I think you'd be happy with somthing like a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc @500. Its what my girlfriend rides and she likes it, I've had a few friends ride it and they like it and have jumped it a bit too. Really the only thing I've found with it that you'd want to change is adding some tougher wheels, the factory ones bend pretty easy.
    Here's what my XC looks like:
    [​IMG]
    Here is what hers looks like:
    [​IMG]

Really the best is to find a shop that will let you try out the different bikes in your price range and find one you're comfortable on.

13. Mar 18, 2009 at 8:20 PM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
  14. Mar 18, 2009 at 8:23 PM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I was looking at the Trek hardtail entry level.... But I wont do the entry level. But that looks like a really good bike I might look into that as well

15. Mar 18, 2009 at 8:24 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
  16. Mar 18, 2009 at 8:27 PM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Because it isnt a real bike company?

17. Mar 18, 2009 at 8:40 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    How bout this:
    P1 All mountain Disc
    [​IMG]

18. Mar 18, 2009 at 8:46 PM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That could work. How much and what website was it on? Im guessing you would prefer this to the full suspension

19. Mar 18, 2009 at 8:49 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    This is my bike. 08 Trek Fuel EX8 full suspension mtn bike. Love it!

20. Mar 18, 2009 at 8:53 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    That pic was just off the Specialized site. As for the full suss'er vs Hardtail, I see it like this: To get a decent full suspension bike you have to fork out a fair amount of money, more than you want to spend. Cheap full sussers are heavy and the added weight and low level components makes them more of a burden than a help. That leaves HT bikes. Hardtails are good all around, just are a bit tougher to get around on real rough, rocky trails. Since you said you wanted a bike that you could also jump, this P1 All mountain seems like a good fit. Specialized says "the P. All Mountain is just as much fun on the trails as it is at the park" so that sounds like what you'd like from what i've read. I havent actually ridden one of these as they're a new bike, but a friend here at college got that exact bike from his parents for his birthday last week and he'll be bringing it down in a week when he comes back to college after spring break. I'll get a chance to ride it then, I can let you know what I think of it then if you'd like. Have you talked to a sales person at a bike shop and told them what/how you ride for them to get an idea and reccommend bikes?

Products Discussed in

To Top