1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mounting a Brake Controller

Discussion in 'Towing' started by CWOF, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Feb 3, 2009 at 4:12 AM
    CWOF

CWOF [OP] siemprelisto

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma DC TRD Off-Road w/towing pkg
    Prodigy II Brake Control, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Extra D-ring Tie downs, All-Weather Mats, K&N 33-2281, Mobil1
    Where is the best location to mount a brake controller in a 2009 Tacoma TRD 4X4 Off-Road, w/towing package? I have read the posted towing bible (great info!), but I'm considering the Prodigy 90185 controller vs. the Draw-Tite Activator III based on all the postive comments I have read about the Prodigy. I will be towing 2000-6000 lbs, open and enclosed utility trailers, a small car hauler, and a future 20-23 foot camper trailer. Thanks.

2. Feb 3, 2009 at 4:40 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to Tacoma World!

I think the factory has a provision for hooking up a brake controler behinde the drive side kick panel. Thats where the factory trailer harness box is located.

3. Feb 3, 2009 at 5:16 AM
    CWOF

CWOF [OP] siemprelisto

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Prodigy II Brake Control, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Extra D-ring Tie downs, All-Weather Mats, K&N 33-2281, Mobil1
    There is a world of help on this site. I have located the harness hook-up, but was wondering where people have mounted the actual controller in their cab. The bottom section of the right side dash (below 4X4 selector control and further below the open tray is angled vs. horizontal. I'm not sure if this will affect the controller's performance?

4. Feb 3, 2009 at 5:28 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra TRDRW
    Nada, Zip, Zilch, Nothing
  5. Feb 3, 2009 at 7:27 AM
    CWOF

CWOF [OP] siemprelisto

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Good pictures and explanation in the towing bible. I may elect to go with an underseat mounted controller instead of under the dash. Thanks!

6. Feb 3, 2009 at 10:30 PM
    santacruzer

santacruzer Active Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    I just mounted a Prodigy in my '09 DC TRD Off-Road. I put it under the little change tray beneath the 4wd switch, and used washers to level it out. I'll eventually cover the washers with a small length of tubing, or tape. I like this arrangement because it's a simple matter to pull that change tray in and out. Being able to do that made installing the controller level much easier. (The wire you see in the change tray has nothing to do with controller)

At first I was going to fab up a new custom bracket to fit the angle of the tray, but that seemed such a PITA compared to the eventual solution.

It's readily visible when driving, and easy to reach.

prodigy mount.jpg

7. Feb 3, 2009 at 11:01 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Tacoma offroad armor fabricating beast Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Eastern side of the Sierras: Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4> 03 SR5 4x4 total> 14 Crewmax TRD
    Had tons on the old Taco's.... new Tundra is pretty stock
    I mounted mine with some double sided velcro tape next to my shifter:
    [​IMG]
    Its out of the way there and gives me full access to all of the controls. I often need to change the braking force(multiple trailers and loaded/unloaded) so I had to keep it within easy reach.

8. Feb 4, 2009 at 2:09 AM
    CWOF

CWOF [OP] siemprelisto

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks santacruzer and xtreme450! Either method will work for me. Let you see the pics once it's installed.

9. Feb 4, 2009 at 2:27 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    Another option would be in the little cubby under the radio, the one that comes with the kit if you change to a single din after market stereo. That would keep it easilly accesable, and fill the stupid little good for nothing else slot that would then be in the dash. Just another option.

10. Feb 5, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    CWOF

CWOF [OP] siemprelisto

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Adam. I will checkout this option also. Doug

11. Feb 11, 2009 at 12:36 PM
    DaveH

DaveH New Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    09Taco dbl cab short bed
    So I just bought a 2009 Tacoma TRD Double Cab with the tow package and will be putting in a brake controller myself. Before I tear into things I just wanted to see if someone could confirm the location of the brake controller plug on the wiring harness.

Posts have indicated that it is either just above or behind the left kick panel on the driver's side. When I get under the dash, I see what looks like it might be a capped off plug that is about about 4 inches or so above the top of the plastic kick panel and taped to the main wiring harness bundle with what apears to be thin white foam faced tape of some sort. It's taped pretty tightly to the main wire bundle, and there's not much room to get my hands in there to move things about and get light onto it at the same time so I can't get a really good look at it. It looks like there might be a grey colored "cap" over what would be the open end of the plug. I'd appreciate it if someone could confirm that I'm looking at what I think I'm looking at. They sure do a good job of hiding the darn thing.

I would assume that to use the pigtail that came with the truck I'd just break off that tape to break the plug free; pull off the grey cap, and plug the pigtail plug into there (after wiring it to the controller of course).

12. Feb 11, 2009 at 2:56 PM
    santacruzer

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    It's above the left kick panel, and mine was bundled pretty tightly also. It helps to take off the kick panel. See instructions for that elsewhere on this forum. It's still a tight fit, and if you have large hands it helps to have a helper to hold the light.

It's the only available connector behind and above the kick panel that matches the plug from the pigtail harness that came with your towing package. Make certain they match. I tested mine for the brake circuit first, it's pretty easy if you have a 12v circuit tester.

Also, one of the leads out of the connector and on the pigtail is for lighting, as in instrument lighting. If your controller doesn't need a light, and most don't, the instructions call for you to just tape back that wire. I left mine out of the wire loom with a taped end, and will use it later for an under dash light.

If you buy a Prodigy controller, you can also buy a Toyota-specific connector and you won't need to splice wires yourself. It's about $16 more. I didn't buy it, which enabled me to utilize the lighting wire.

13. Apr 13, 2009 at 5:28 PM
    DaveH

DaveH New Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    09Taco dbl cab short bed
    > I like this arrangement because it's a simple matter to pull that change tray in and out.
    > Being able to do that made installing the controller level much easier.

I just got a P3 and was looking for the best place to mount it. I've been eyeing that change tray that's under the 4WD switch (where SantaCruzer mounted his) but it feels like the controller might be mounted too close to my right leg so that I'd be bumping it all the time. I was thinking that if I could pull out that change tray I could mount it a bit higher up and out of the way. Maybe I'm just being dense, but it seems far from simple to pull that tray out. I can get the front of the tray released from the holes on either side of the front, but the back of the tray seems to be attached to something. I'm reluctant to pull or manipulate it too hard. Any hints??

14. Apr 13, 2009 at 6:02 PM
    santacruzer

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    I never hit my knee or leg on the controller with the controller under the change pocket. I'm 5'10" and drive with the seat all the way back.

The change pocket just pulls out straight. Seems like it shouldn't, but it does!

I also considered mounting the controller in that space, but didn't like the look of things once it was out. Kind of unfinished.

To Top