1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mounting Rocky Mounts bike rack to toolbox...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dira1987, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Oct 27, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    dira1987

dira1987 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Chandler AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 LT Prerunner
    Metal.
    I just got an OEM toolbox that i picked up on craigslist. I really want to mount my 2 rocky mounts clutch sd fork mounts to the top of the tool box so i can still have them and the tool box. How do you guys recommend attaching them to the top without it leaking? Tapered screws? Caulking? Let me know what you think!

2. Nov 20, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    The UT Dude

The UT Dude New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD
    Did you ever attached the bike mounts to the tool box? I was thinking of doing the same thing and am curious if you have any tips

3. Nov 21, 2011 at 3:02 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors
    I don't know the design of your tool box, but I would have a good look at how close the mounts will be to the rear glass if the top hinges forward.

For mounting hardware, use stainless steel bolts with stainless locknuts.

As for sealing, if you normally wax the tool box and mount, then apply sealant between the mount and toolbox. Install and secure, wipe away excess sealant with an ISO alocohol wetted rag, it should look decent.

PK

4. Nov 21, 2011 at 3:57 AM
    upthemaiden

upthemaiden Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab SR5
    Just bought it!
    Considering you probably have a spare laying around somewhere if you ride bikes, I'd just cut up an inner tube the same size as the bike mount, and put it between the mount and the tool box. I'd probably just put a rubber washer on the back side between the tool box and the washer. I have a whole box of popped inner tubes and I use them for all kinds of stuff.

5. Nov 21, 2011 at 4:34 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors
    I was guessing the box is diamond plate, and the texture may not seal with a thin tube. Tube is a good idea though.

PK

6. Nov 21, 2011 at 4:48 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    fat o rings or as was stated, bike inner tube cutouts....and silicone around the actual holes.

To Top