1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mounting tweeters higher up and on axis

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by dangerbird, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Jul 24, 2010 at 6:22 AM
    dangerbird

dangerbird [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5
    I have a set of Polk SR6500 speakers. The general consensus is that the tweeters sound better on axis than off. I'm thinking of mounting them up into the cover that covers the door mirror mounting screws, the triangular cover. Has anyone done this or have any thoughts about it? I would angle them so the would be a more direct line of sight to the driver location.

2. Jul 24, 2010 at 6:25 AM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    check itylianstalion's dont think i spelled his name right but he has his mounted there

3. Jul 27, 2010 at 8:32 PM
    Abe Froman

Abe Froman The Sausage King of Chicago

Member:
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR DCSB 4x4, White
  4. Jul 27, 2010 at 10:18 PM
    dreamnz

dreamnz Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Suspension: Camburg Spindles, Bilstein 5100s, Deaver Leafs, BFGs Audio: IDQ 10 in "Marv" box - Hybrid Audio L6 mid bass/ L4 mids / L1 ProSE tweets - RF Power / Arc Amps...BitOne.1 to control it all.
    I believe your tweeters are the ring radiator type. Yes, they will sound far better on axis (or close to it). I experimented with 3 very different sets of tweets in the stock locations and was never happy with it.

Once I put them in the pillars as seen below, the detail came in and the stage was of course raised significantly. So my vote, is yes. Move them to the sail panels or a-pillars cross firing (left tweet to passenger's left ear and right tweet to driver's right ear) and you'll hear a huge improvement.

Here's a tip for experimenting on the cheap. If you remove the sail panels (those black triangles), you'll notice a bolt pretty much dead center that I assume goes to the door mirrors. I removed the nut and replaced it with (don't know what it's called) something I found at Ace Hardware that was like a 1 inch deep metric nut. That allowed me to tighten it down, but still have something to thread into. I then used PVC pieces to rig my tweets into place temporarily. <$10 at Ace and you can determine if it's the right way to go for you. (basically, mimic Italian's tweet setup)

My_Pillars2Medium_45f2e4fefc2da0f359c82dee032c7fe7fbc53a05.jpg

5. Jul 28, 2010 at 5:01 PM
    dangerbird

dangerbird [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5
    Great info, thanks guys!

Products Discussed in

To Top