1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Moved to Washington, snow advice?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Pax11B, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Sep 20, 2017 at 7:58 PM
    Loco38SUP

Loco38SUP Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab SR5 4X4
    Loud as hell URD exhaust!
    Those tires will be just fine in this state. Combine that with some extra weight in the bed and you will be good to go.

The biggest issue I have is being caught off guard when running in 2wd. Black ice takes many straight to the ditch. But with good tires and some extra weight it can help untill you can put it into 4wd.

I lived in Spokane 7 years and saw plenty of bad weather during the winter.

-RJM

myamada1230 likes this.
  2. Sep 20, 2017 at 8:07 PM
    Pax11B

Pax11B [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand Tacoma TRD OR AC
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/pax11b-quicksand-build.491885/
    That right there made me feel cozy haha thanks

3. Sep 20, 2017 at 9:16 PM
    QuicksandTaco

QuicksandTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno TRD Pro 6spd
    URD short shifter, 285/75/16,
    This is what I tell everyone that asks here in Bend, OR. Been in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nevada my whole life. Experiencing it is the only way to learn, and big ass parking lots mean nothing/no one to hit.

RocTaco, Avail211[QUOTED] and Captqc like this.
  4. Sep 20, 2017 at 10:19 PM
    akTacoBlanco

akTacoBlanco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TRD Off Road M/T
    Stock.
    Keep your distance from other vehicles and constantly watch your rear view for the inevitable commuter who thinks snapchat is more important than keeping eyes on the road. Also, if you're on a downhill with a stoplight either halfway down or at the bottom slow early so you don't skid through. Even the best snow/studded tires won't save you from a last ditch effort skid.

5. Sep 20, 2017 at 10:50 PM
    AWDDude

AWDDude Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road DCSB, QuickSand
    Well what they probably meant to say is that they don't really use sodium chloride any more. Mostly what i see used around my little town is magnesium chloride and some calcium chloride, both of which have superior colligative properties compared to regular NaCl, but they are still technically "salts". Glycerin based deicers are also used but that's mostly for planes and stuff, too slippery for roads and sidewalks. Actually now that I think of it I believe some of the universities around here are using beet juice as a non toxic deicer.

6. Sep 20, 2017 at 10:54 PM
    Synergy001

Synergy001 IG: @pnwx.taco

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    00 ACLB -Daily, 16 DCSB -Adventure Rig
    I live in the PNW. My advice is if you haven't driven in the snow is to stay home. You'll just clog the roads up for us lol!

bobsuruncle and rlx02 like this.
  7. Sep 20, 2017 at 10:55 PM
    phatso

phatso Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Washington
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Pro
    Your tires will be fine, you won't need winter tires.
    You won't need chains in town.
    A couple of sandbags in the bed would help.
    4hi can be helpful but don't get too cocky with it.
    Take it easy and drive defensively.
    Leave more distance between you and the vehicle in front of you than you normally would.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  8. Sep 20, 2017 at 11:44 PM
    sagexp

sagexp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Back home, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma DC 4X4 2017 Tacoma DC 4X4
    Biggest advice I can give about driving in snow.... 4wd can help you go faster in snow and ice, but it is of no help slowing down. Too many people feel invincible in a 4wd because they can go faster. 4wd don't help braking a damn bit.

Slow and easy. 4wd good in snow, but you better know how to use it. Play around with it on vacant roads until you get a feel for it. Forget about lockers or limited slips on highways or paved roads. You WANT an open diff when you're trying to maintain control on slick ass (icy) roads.

If 4wd engaged, hitting gas a little (a little...you're not doing anything "fast" on snow and ice) can often pull you out of a spin situation. A little unnerving and counter reflexive, but true. If 4wd not engaged, slowly let up off skinny pedal to pull the ass out of a skid.

Slow, easy, and nothing quick (steering, braking, pedal) on snow and ice. Leave yourself a good 5x the distance to stop or turn than you think you need. Be ready to let off brakes and gas steer for a ditch or side of the road if you are coming up on someone in front of you and just can't stop.

Follow that advice, and you'll be able to drive right past all the idiots in their AWD subarus and 4wd's who are in the ditch.

Studs not really necessary. Nice to have, but not needed if you watch what you're doing. But siping your tires (if you're running an aggressive unsiped tire) can help a good deal. For snow and ice on pavement, you want sipes. If you're running an MT type tire on light snow and ice on pavement, you may as well be running slicks.

Couple big, Costco type bags of cat litter tossed in the bed won't hurt in case you get in a super slick situation where you need some traction. Adds a little weight too.

Chains or cables. Definitely have a set of chains in the back of the truck.

Beyond that....put some rubbing alcohol in with the windshield wiper fluid. Helps to keep it from freezing. But avoid using windshield washers when moving even with that. Nothing worse than going from a window that's hard to see out of to a window that's impossible to see out of when the water hits the windshield, wipers are going, and it instantly freezes.

Salt and rust? Spray everything which can rust underneath down with a good protectant like "Mavcoat" before winter hits.

On the boxed in areas of your frame, connect a 1/2" rubber tube to a garden hose (fittings and tube available at most any hardware store) and stick that 1/2" tube in any available hole area of the boxed in frame section and hose away every once in a while to wash the crap out of areas that you can't get to otherwise.

9. Sep 21, 2017 at 10:31 AM
    rlx02

rlx02 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    Western WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Literally no locals raised here calls it "Wershington". The only person I knew who said that was my uncle who was raised in North Carolina for most of his life.

And as for driving in the snow though, you're absolutely correct. Luckily, I work from home a lot and can work from home when the weather is bad so I don't have to deal with these dumbasses anymore lol.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    bobsuruncle and Synergy001 like this.
  10. Sep 21, 2017 at 1:35 PM
    RocTaco

RocTaco Free stun!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Green Mtns
    Vehicle:
    03' Reg. Cab 4x4 5MT
    Truth! Every vehicle is different too, practicing in a parking lot can be good for experienced snow drivers as well when getting a new car. It's also a lot of fun :burnrubber:

11. Sep 21, 2017 at 2:12 PM
    Wolftaco0503

Wolftaco0503 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White LONG BED TRD SPORT 4x4
    Maglite mod Bottle Opener in bed Weathertech Mats Front & Back
    My Dad does and he's lived out there for 30 years, my grandma & grandpa did for as long as they they were alive. Literally you haven't talked to all the locals.

12. Sep 21, 2017 at 3:21 PM
    Optimaltaco

Optimaltaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Cochrane, AB
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma DCSB TRD Off-Road
    TRD Pro - Grill and Rear Tail-Lights OEM Roof Rack FN overland 17x8.5” -6 BFG KO2 Morimoto 2 stroke LED headlights 30” auxbeam light bar Custom built Canopy Readylift 3" spacer kit Deaver 1.5-2" AAL Amber hazard strobe lighting
    I live in Alberta, so Im not sure how winter time is down there. But the main things have already been covered.
    AT tires are good but nothing beats a true Winter tire since the rubber compound is softer.
    Keeping distance from other drivers in front of you. Black Ice can sneak up on you and bite you in the ass (didnt crash but I did spin out on black ice before)
    4hi is usefull but 2wd is sufficent (I would recommend either sand or salt bags but I did not run them last year and was fine)
    Undercoat the truck especially if your area uses salt (or a salt mix) on the roads. Washing it is good but will only get so much.
    Fresh snow in the morning is no problem. Its only in the afternoon after every one has driven over it that makes it terrible.
    If you are on a hill. Try to not spin the tires it only makes it worse haha.

13. Sep 21, 2017 at 3:50 PM
    nwAdamR

nwAdamR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SW PDX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OR LB AT MGM
    And be careful on icy bridges, amirite? :annoyed:

14. Sep 21, 2017 at 3:56 PM
    rlx02

rlx02 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    Western WA
    Vehicle:
    So 3 family members = majority of locals then? The most people here (at least in Western WA) do not say "wersh" or "warsh". We do have subtle accents like "cot" and "caught" sounds like the same.

bobsuruncle likes this.
  15. Sep 21, 2017 at 4:18 PM
    Wolftaco0503

Wolftaco0503 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White LONG BED TRD SPORT 4x4
    Maglite mod Bottle Opener in bed Weathertech Mats Front & Back
    But you didn't say majority.

16. Sep 21, 2017 at 4:39 PM
    rlx02

rlx02 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    Western WA
    Vehicle:
    If we're being pedantic about it, fair enough.

For someone to say "wershington" still is rare, and I would argue that the upper majority of us locals here do not say "wershington" as you implied.

17. Sep 21, 2017 at 4:41 PM
    Synergy001

Synergy001 IG: @pnwx.taco

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    00 ACLB -Daily, 16 DCSB -Adventure Rig
    That's the most important one :facepalm:

18. Sep 21, 2017 at 4:45 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    I grew up north of Spokane then lived in Spokane and Cheney until I was nearly 30. Moved away in the early 90s. I obviously didn't have a Tacoma then but never had a frame rust problem.

19. Sep 21, 2017 at 9:15 PM
    Herniator

Herniator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    chrome valve stems covers
    I love driving on fresh snow, especially before it gets packed down. Problem with many people is that they get over confident with 4X4. I see more 4X4's in the ditch then anything else. Take it easy, leave early and drive smoothly, you'll be fine.

20. Sep 21, 2017 at 9:30 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    You drive a Tacoma.

Flip the switch into 4WD, When you do this you might feel something happen... try not to get any on the dashboard as it's a bitch to clean off with a Dick's Drive In napkin.

Next: Drive, laugh and cheer. Bro nod everybody you see in a Tacoma.

Lastly, carry a tow strap and small bills to make change. Be ready to help all the people in their Subarus, AWD Audis, Lexus, and the guys in the F-150's... those things don't do shit in the wet stuff. They'll need a recovery.

Welcome to the PNW!

Adude likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top