1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Moving Across Country VA-CA (driving)

Discussion in 'Travel' started by jlvhrse, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Jan 19, 2011 at 5:34 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    Six from my place... :(

2. Jan 19, 2011 at 5:35 PM
    jlvhrse

jlvhrse [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jen
    SoCal SGV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4X4 Long Bed
    LSK front and rear LT and stuff

Flying would be more expensive with the way we have it set up right now.. but eewe. yeah... thanks :eek:

3. Jan 19, 2011 at 5:39 PM
    TacoRun

TacoRun Subd for later..

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    Edinburg,Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off road, Magnetic Gray
    Pop Lock, Ranch Hand brush guard
    Oh I meant fyi.

4. Jan 19, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    jlvhrse

Member:
    First Name:
    Jen
    SoCal SGV
    Vehicle:
    oh hahahahaha ok

5. Jan 19, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    jlvhrse

Member:
    First Name:
    Jen
    SoCal SGV
    Vehicle:
    so you live pretty close to mpk then? thats awesome... im really looking forward to socal meets... as soon as we get the house presentable i think we are going to have a small meet... we will see :D

6. Jan 19, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    when the moment is right, WELCOME TO CALI lol

p.s. prepare to party it up here in l.a....haha :cool:

7. Jan 19, 2011 at 5:48 PM
    jlvhrse

Member:
    First Name:
    Jen
    SoCal SGV
    Vehicle:

haha thanks!!!!!

i bet its going to be a blast out there!!! i cant wait :D:D

8. Jan 19, 2011 at 5:55 PM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    Wrong way on I-15. Lol. But yeah if the meet is on a holiday and I get work off, I'll see if I can head down

9. Jan 19, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    jlvhrse

Member:
    First Name:
    Jen
    SoCal SGV
    Vehicle:
    At meet would be really cool but I am not sure I will make it out that way anymore.... I was going to stop in Zion national park but now I am going to rush from TN to the Grand Canyon to Vegas so I can celebrate Aaron's b-day with him :D

10. Jan 19, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    you are one great gal jen,i wish you and him the best.:)

11. Jan 19, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Haha if you plan on rushing, pick up this book and read it from cover to cover. Lol

http://www.polizei144.com/index.php/driver/the-driver-by-alex-roy.html

12. Jan 19, 2011 at 6:16 PM
    jlvhrse

Member:
    First Name:
    Jen
    SoCal SGV
    Vehicle:
  13. Jan 19, 2011 at 6:19 PM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    You'll never drive the same again. Lol

14. Jan 20, 2011 at 4:56 AM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:
    I have drove cross country a couple to many times, from Norfolk to LA, LA to Fort Worth back and forth alot on the weekends.

The more important things that stick out in my mind is to always double check the map before you come into a big town, only get gas at the chain truck stops (bigger parking lots, better bathrooms, and easy road access), avoid big towns during peak driving hours. I had it down to where I could leave the north gate at Camp Pendleton and be home south of Ft. Worth in 19 hours drive time. You mainly have to remember to take a quick walk when you get gas so as to stretch your legs and let your mind wonder for a couple minutes.

Other than that, driving cross country is always an awsome experience and I always look forward to the next trip. Good luck and watch out for cops, but who are we kidding - we all know pretty girls don't get tickets.

15. Jan 20, 2011 at 5:21 AM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    I did the same trip years ago, from orange county, ny to san diego..........then back. A CB is a great idea, if you are going to be in ny at all I can get you an awesome CB cheap and installed FREE. If you are doing like ST. Louis then down south through tx, don't forget the ST. Louis arch. Of course as you drive down I think it's I-35 through dallas....there is that HUGE steak place again dont quote me.......... 64 oz steak if you eat it its free. If you stay that routs south through new mexico the mountains get really tough and since your car is set up for low altitude your truck will strain for air. I dont know if it will affect newer vehicles but driving through new mexico I stopped like 3 or 4 times since I thought my car was going to brake down.......... Over all it was fun I did it alone but at least you will have a friend to talk to ....since I started to talk to my steering wheel........lol have fun and drive safe. You really shouldn't sleep in your uhaul though a cheap hotel in a safe area would be best....... a good nights sleep is priceless. just my .02.......

16. Jan 20, 2011 at 5:21 AM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    Hope I didn't sound like I was preaching...........lol

17. Jan 20, 2011 at 8:38 AM
    jlvhrse

Member:
    First Name:
    Jen
    SoCal SGV
    Vehicle:
    :eek:

Great advice, thank you! I never really thought about the "truck stop gas stations" like that, but you are so right.

I am going from VA to LA so NY is not on the way, but I really appreciate it!!! :D Honestly, I don't know if I would make the drive by myself, that s's a long way! I don't blame you, I would have been talking to my steering wheel too!!! I hope my truck does not do too bad, I know we will drive through NM and 2 mountain ranges....

Maybe that is why I felt like my truck did soo poorly in the mountains in PA this summer... It was shifting really funny up and down all the hills (which you know we don't have in VA) and just acting strange, it really freaked me out. I will keep that in mind though, thank you!

No, no. I appreciate the advice :D

18. Jan 20, 2011 at 4:35 PM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:
    Oh ya, I forgot the most important thing I learned after lots and lots of driving by myself.

When I was flying along the highways singing along to my favorite Johnny Cash CD; occassionally I would hit a bump and make my player skip. At that moment I learned that I sound NOTHING like Johnny Cash. YMMV but I have found it to be quite true.

19. Jan 20, 2011 at 5:05 PM
    jlvhrse

Member:
    First Name:
    Jen
    SoCal SGV
    Vehicle:
    :rofl: I sometimes turn the radio down to see if im in tune... 9/10 im not :p

20. Jan 20, 2011 at 5:37 PM
    MSteinhauer

MSteinhauer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 DoubleCab SR5
    I drove from PA to LA this summer with a uhaul behind my truck. The drive was awesome but make sure you also take breaks.

If you are an AAA member get the free tour books for each of the states you plan on driving through. Then as you go through states pick a few places along your route to stop. Many of the places you can stop are free or cheap and the books also help with finding places to eat and sleep. Two of the places I suggest stopping are Graceland in Memphis, TN and Cadillac Ranch which is just west of Amarillo, TX on the south side of I-40. Have fun!

To Top