1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Moving and need a trailer. Which one of these?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by 6spdtaco, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Nov 1, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    6spdtaco

6spdtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    I am about to move across the country and am looking to purchase a trailer rather than rent one. I am new to towing and trying to get a handle on the size of trailer that I can tow. I will be moving things like washer/dryer and couch for large items. And lots of smaller items which will at least equal the weight of the big ones. If anyone doesn't mind browsing the link below, could you suggest a trailer to use?

http://valleytrailersales.net/inventory.asp?tid=8&o=1

Also my truck is a 2008 TRD OR V6 4 door short bed with tow package. I also have a CBI Offroad rear plate bumper with integrated receiver.

2. Nov 2, 2011 at 9:23 AM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    Try finding a V-nose if possible. That flat face kills the taco power.

3. Nov 2, 2011 at 9:34 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Figure out how big of a trailer you actually need, you'll probably want at least a 6x12 if you're moving appliances plus furniture. When I moved, I taped out a mark on my living room floor to see how big 6x12 actually is and tried stacking what I could in that area to make sure everything would fit. Also, I wouldn't go much higher than 2,000 lbs dry weight, especially since you're towing from such a high point on the truck.

4. Nov 2, 2011 at 9:39 AM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    x2.... those enclosed trailers pull really heavy from all the wind resistance. I would try and figure out how much you stuff is going to weigh and then go from there. Our trucks have a tow rating of 6500lbs. I tow a boat and am close to 6k when loaded. Towing this much weight with stock suspension I was bottoming out pretty much the whole time. If you are going to get close to this much weight I would suggest upgrading the rear suspension with air bags or a new leaf pack. At 6k my truck pulls decently, I keep it in 4th the whole time and occasionally on hills it downshifts to 3rd but still keeps its speed.

5. Nov 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    6spdtaco

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    Thanks for the responses. I forgot to mention I have an OME 3" with dakar springs so a little better than the stock ones. I just stopped by the trailer dealer and found a 7x12' tandem axle with a dry weight of under 1700lbs. It has a ramp door so I can easily roll stuff in. It is looking pretty good so far except for the price.

6. Nov 5, 2011 at 8:05 AM
    6spdtaco

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    Picking this up from the dealer this morning.

[​IMG]

7. Nov 5, 2011 at 3:57 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    6spdtaco, A suggestion about packing the trailer. Put EVERYTHING in a box. Banana boxes from the grocery work great. By being boxed, the load does not shift and you can pack the trailer tighter and higher. You will be able to get more possesions in for a given amount of room. Of course, heavy boxes on the floor. Consider putting the washer and drier over top of the trailer axles and your sofa on top of the appliances, with heavy blankets and cardboard on top of appliances. Strap the washer/drier together and place boxes around them tightly. Secure/tie the sofa down to the appliances. Anything that can shift/move will. This is where the boxes help.

Run 92-93 octane fuel, you will actually get better mileage. Have a safe trip.

8. Nov 5, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    6spdtaco

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    I agree with the boxing/strapping theory. I guess I never considered the fuel grade to make a difference.

9. Nov 5, 2011 at 4:32 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    6spdtaco, I run the higher octane when ever I have a heavy load or run an extended or interstate drive. I get a higher MPG and it gives me an lower cost per mile. With your loaded trailer, make the octane do some of the work.

Products Discussed in

To Top