1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Moving to Alaska in December, ALCAN or Ferry?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by SteveO86, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Oct 15, 2015 at 10:05 AM
    robertbank

robertbank Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Terrace, BC
    Vehicle:
    Ordered TRD Sports DCLB Upgrade Pkg
    Ummmm. I live in Terrace, BC just east of Pr. Rupert. I drive down to Seattle each year for the IDPA State match. You are 18 hours from Terrace by vehicle non stop. Longer in the winter due to darkness and possible road conditions. Not sure why you would carry 5 gallons of water on the trip. No need. Maybe a couple of bottles or a small case of bottled water. Just saying. Driving the Alcan is one trip but long and boring. Believe me once you see one stunted Spruce tree you truly have seen them all. If it were me I would drive up the center of BC, turn left at Pr. George and drive out to the coast to Pr. Rupert. Take the Alaskan ferry on up to Alaska. You will see beautiful country, avoid the long uneventful drive up the Alcan and always be on well traveled highways. Unless you run into a snow storm I doubt you will ever have your truck in 4WD. BC Hwy use rocks for sanding ( a bit of an exaggeration but not much) so do keep your distance when following traffic. From the border you likely will get to Pr. George before you get tired. Driving the Skeena Valey canyon is worth seeing and can be no fun if the roads are snow covered. It is six hours from Pr George to Terrace and another hour and a half to Pr. Rupert. Plan to overnight in Pr. George or Terrace and head on up to Alaska by ferry.

Crossing the border us usually uneventful. One word of caution if you have a DUI or and felony convictions you will be sent home. The five sisters are all plugged into the same data base and when they scan your passport all that info is in front of them. If you are prone to smoke drugs make damn sure your vehicle is clean with no drug utensils with you. Your trip will come to a very quick end otherwise. I should add the drive from Terrace to Pr. Rupert is one of the prettiest in BC so you might want to overnight in Terrace. The mountains are spectacular.

I always travel with a sleeping bag, in the truck. If you are driving late at night and decide to pull over - motel it there are lots along the way until you get into the Yukon if you go that way. You know to bring warm cloths I am sure and a good pair of winter boots and mitts.

Other than that enjoy the trip. Drive the speed limit that time of year and you will have no problems.

Take Care

Bob

2. Oct 15, 2015 at 10:10 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    OP is already in Alaska. You quoted an almost year old post.

3. Oct 15, 2015 at 10:12 AM
    robertbank

robertbank Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Terrace, BC
    Vehicle:
    Ordered TRD Sports DCLB Upgrade Pkg
    Opps!

Bob

4. Oct 15, 2015 at 11:31 PM
    Redeemed

Redeemed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 with a "TRD Off-Road" sticker
    I still enjoyed it. I'm hoping to make the drive from the northeast US someday...

Products Discussed in

To Top