1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

moving to anchorage soon!!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Yosefa, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Dec 3, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    Yosefa

Yosefa [OP] Active Member

Member:
    hey everyone. I'll be moving to anchorage around feb or march. ive been getting as much things done as i can before i ship her up since ill be leaving behind most of my tools and my cousin whos a mechanic..no more freebies :p.. anyways... right now my truck is lifted 6in and im running 33x15.5x15 micky thompsons. ill be changing tires before i head up.. any reccomendations on tires because i have no experience with winter driving.. im thinking 33x12.5? also any mods i should be doing? i understand a block heater and probably a heavy duty battery would be a good idea. is that all?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  2. Dec 3, 2012 at 9:56 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    Sweet! Another for the ranks! As far as winter mods, you'll be really happy you got an autostart. Helps run the truck at optimal temperatures and takes away the chance of just hopping in and throwing it in gear at -5. That's not so good for the ol' engine. Block heaters are great, I don't personally have one. It's not a MUST have.

As far as tires go the more sipes and studs you have the better you'll handle on the ice. Lots of guys ditch the mid terrains in the winter and find something narrower. You might like a 255/85/16 or something a little taller to help offset the weirdness of a six inch lift without its big tires on. You see that a lot up here and it always looks funny running stockers on a big lift. Any more questions feel free to ask. :thumbsup:

3. Dec 3, 2012 at 10:46 PM
    Yosefa

Member:
    hey ben thanks for the quick response!
    i was thinking about getting remote start for that specific reason since my viper alarm has that option but my truck is 5spd so i wasnt to sure if that was a good idea?...:notsure:

and for the tires i was hoping to get something more aggressive but now im guessing that isnt to wise during winter?? yeah stockers on a lifted truck is kinda funky looking... when does winter end up there? and what type of tires would you reccommend for the rest of the year? would 33x12.5x15 be ok? i was probably gonna go with some nitto grapplers or something mud terrain

4. Dec 4, 2012 at 12:35 AM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    Yeah mud terrains are fine in the summertime up here. Haha as far as winter ending...figure...October til potentially as late as may. It's rare but a few years back we got two feet in may. Most of the time break up is about done by mid April. Not much spring, even less fall. Just lots of cold lol.

5. Dec 4, 2012 at 12:37 AM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    As far as the 5 speed I'm pretty sure it just has to have a clutch cancel put in. Not sure what all goes into that but it's definitely worth looking into. If you do it up here the only place I'd take my rig to is shades of competition for that sort of thing. Dude never cuts corners and is an honest businessman.

6. Dec 4, 2012 at 8:30 AM
    Smokey11

Smokey11 You Can't Fix Stupid !

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Anchorage, Ak
    Vehicle:
    99 ex-cab TRD 2.7L 4X4
    OME 881, 10MM top plate spacer,nitros,wheelers 5 pack, 1.25 Daystar Shackles,265-75-16 Duratracs on 16X8 Pro Comps,leer shell, husky liners, sway bar removed, X-runner badges, tint, auto start, BPV relocate, extended rear brake line.
    Yeah I have a 5 spd and just had my auto start put in this weekend and its no big deal, they just put in a clutch override switch and you have to do a couple things before you get out and lock it so it assures your in netural it no biggie. Welcome BTW we look forward to meeting you when you arrive.

7. Dec 5, 2012 at 5:26 AM
    Yosefa

Member:
    thanks guys for your inputs! I'll definetly get that remote start installed now.. whats there to do for a 23yr old up there? :D other than wheeling, hunting and fishing....

8. Dec 5, 2012 at 5:42 AM
    Smokey11

Smokey11 You Can't Fix Stupid !

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Anchorage, Ak
    Vehicle:
    99 ex-cab TRD 2.7L 4X4
    OME 881, 10MM top plate spacer,nitros,wheelers 5 pack, 1.25 Daystar Shackles,265-75-16 Duratracs on 16X8 Pro Comps,leer shell, husky liners, sway bar removed, X-runner badges, tint, auto start, BPV relocate, extended rear brake line.
    Hell thats all life consist of and all you need isnt it? :D Well considering I just got here a couple months ago myself I will let Ben or another member that has lived here a long time chime in on that one.

9. Dec 5, 2012 at 1:50 PM
    423 TACO

423 TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Knox-ish, TN
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM Sport 6sp AC
    Add good food and great beer to that list. And like he said, what more could a man want?

10. Dec 5, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    Depends on what you LIKE to do. WE really have a bit of everything, but as long as you like the outdoors you're gonna be a happy camper. I'd recommend getting into snowmachining. Those guys seem super happy :p

Haha but it does help to have a good winter hobby, I do a lot of biking and snowboarding. Inner tubing is pretty dang sweet too.. I've got a couple from semi tires that are about 6' in diameter. Really fun til they explode haha

11. Dec 5, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    Yosefa

Member:
    haha sounds just like hawaii minus the snow.. i love the outdoors i just need to get used to the cold. walking outside here in 60 degrees is cold enough for me lol.... food, beer, the great outdoors, and women will make me a happy camper:D

12. Dec 6, 2012 at 12:32 AM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    You'll do juuuust fine. :)

13. Dec 8, 2012 at 2:13 PM