1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Moving to Canada, Need some Advice

Discussion in 'Canada' started by 13TRDsport, May 21, 2014.

1. Jan 10, 2016 at 4:13 PM
    oldtoyotaguy

oldtoyotaguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 4 Runner ORP
    Stock but with a Warn 10s winch Used to be a lightly modded Tacoma
    I have U.S friends and family, and for some reason, they tend to think of Canada as a northern USA. We do share a lot of similar things on the surface, but the average American citizen would find it difficult to get used to our liberal, progressive politics. Canada is not a conservative country, fundamentally, and neither does fundamentalist Christian religion have much to do with daily life in Canada. We tolerate others, and have a world view. If I'm describing a place that you would feel comfortable living in, without a handgun, we'd love to have you.

Yukon Yak, Splat, Jaab and 1 other person like this.
  2. Jan 10, 2016 at 4:53 PM
    judgeman6970

judgeman6970 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Long Island, NY
    **this*, sounds like the best advice so far. Wouldn't be for me(an NRA supporter & conservative), but "may" be what the OP is looking for...

3. Jan 10, 2016 at 6:15 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    You can still own firearms here. However it's a privilege and not a right. The same way it is just about everywhere else in the world. You can also be socially conservative but you better be able to tolerate and respect the viewpoint of others. I find those two things really trip up Americans for some reason.

Loco38SUP, Jaab and HackD like this.
  4. Jan 15, 2016 at 9:22 AM
    AdamM

AdamM Semi-pro aardvark wrangler

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB base 6MT 4x4
    I am a transplanted Maritimer (New Brunswick/Nova Scotia/PEI), now living in Alberta. Something you should know is that there has been a mass exodus of people from the Maritimes moving elsewhere in Canada, mostly to the western provinces. The Maritime provinces are the "have-not" provinces, they have not employment, they have not industry, they have not wealth. They do have beautiful scenery and an older culture than the rest of Canada, but you can't live off either of those.

The other thing to consider is that you can't just decide you want to move to Canada for a new life and just sell everything, and do it. It's not like moving to another state. You need to apply for a visa that will allow you to work here. In order to be approved for such a visa, you will either need to have a skill or profession that is in extremely high demand, or have a job offer from an employer. That employer will have to prove to the federal government that they could not fill that job with a Canadian. In a province such as Nova Scotia with an extremely high unemployment rate, they would have a hard time justifying hiring a foreigner over a Canadian for a low skilled job.

I believe you can find a list of occupations that are in high demand, and how to go about the process of applying for a work visa, on a Government of Canada website.

HackD likes this.
  5. Jan 15, 2016 at 10:02 AM
    Jaab

Jaab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Wiggles
    SW Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2005 Double cab short box 4x4 TRD Taco....
    OME 887, Dakars ARB bull Bar, M8000 winch,ABS mod, Locker mod, fog lights anytime mod, COMFY BMW sport seats, tweaked Airbag emulator,
    Come to Sarnia, Ontario.... yes, its flat....BUT, within a few hours reach you have the best of everything, plus super climate! I moved here from central Ontario and damn near passed out when I saw you could (at the time) buy a decent house for sub $100K....with your dollar, damn...
    I love Canada. I do travel pretty extensively throughout the world, but I never feel safer then when I am here. :) anything you need to know, pm me! :)

6. Jan 15, 2016 at 10:29 AM
    snowcrabpg

snowcrabpg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    PelfreyBilt Hidden Winch Mount Smittybilt X20-10K Armor Tech Off Road hilift bed mount RotoPax Tacoma bed rail mount MaxLiner weatherproof floormats Color Matched front grill Plastidip rear bumper Interior LED lighting Waiting full RCI skids roofrack suspension
    iStock_000011126842XSmall_zpsaa0y5vbt_3fc4b75a11ee4c610243b5c470af0557a611214c.jpg

Have fun in Canada when their government invariably lets you down.

7. Jan 15, 2016 at 2:23 PM
    Jaab

Jaab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Wiggles
    SW Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2005 Double cab short box 4x4 TRD Taco....
    OME 887, Dakars ARB bull Bar, M8000 winch,ABS mod, Locker mod, fog lights anytime mod, COMFY BMW sport seats, tweaked Airbag emulator,

Like EVERY government. Everywhere. ALWAYS. :p

HackD likes this.
  8. Jan 15, 2016 at 2:27 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    wut

Jaab likes this.
  9. Jan 15, 2016 at 2:28 PM
    snowcrabpg

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    PelfreyBilt Hidden Winch Mount Smittybilt X20-10K Armor Tech Off Road hilift bed mount RotoPax Tacoma bed rail mount MaxLiner weatherproof floormats Color Matched front grill Plastidip rear bumper Interior LED lighting Waiting full RCI skids roofrack suspension
    I'm glad we're on the same page.

The grass is always greener on the other side is what the picture is implying.

Jaab[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jan 15, 2016 at 2:30 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Its definitely greener on this side , so I guess we agree

HackD likes this.
  11. Jan 15, 2016 at 2:44 PM
    snowcrabpg

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Canada is awesome, I just like America more. The grass is greener on the other side is just a word of caution to not expect it to be puppy dogs and sunshine the entire time. As someone who has moved many times, some places don't really work out the way you expect etc.

It may work out great or it might not. It really depends on what you value. For me, Canada's politics and tax structure don't jive well with me and America hasn't wronged me enough to want to move away from it. YMMV

I would just caution anyone moving to another country (that isn't retiring) to take a close look at their professional field, their projected income for the next 10 - 20 years and the repercussions (or benefits) that the countries tax structure provides.

From a financial perspective for me at least Canada is a desolate wasteland on the other side of that fence.

95 taco and AdamM like this.
  12. Jan 15, 2016 at 3:08 PM
    Sharpish

Sharpish Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    west coast of Canada is where it's at! British Columbia has everything; temperate coastal rain forests, deserts, tundra, and in places like Victoria a very mild Mediterranean climate. Rarely below freezing in winter, rarely hotter than mid-80's in summer, and quite dry compared to close by places like Seattle and Vancouver.

13. Jan 15, 2016 at 3:19 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    We agree again

14. Jan 15, 2016 at 8:29 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    Every animal is born with the right to defend it's own life. Even people. Like all primates, we have the ability to use tools to defend our life. Canada's homicide rate of 1.56 for every 100,000 residents is similar to the state of Wyoming at 1.4 per 100,000, and North Dakota at 1.3 and you can legally own machine guns and flame throwers in both states. There are several US States with lower homicide rates than Canada, and there is roughly one gun for every American. It is a right to own guns for self protection for every human on this great Earth. /rant

[​IMG]

95 taco likes this.
  15. Jan 15, 2016 at 9:28 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
  16. Jan 15, 2016 at 10:24 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    My comment was a statement. There was no opinion involved in it. It is a privilege here and not a right to own a gun. That is the way the law is in most of the developed world. I'm sorry that, for whatever reason, that upsets you and you needed to go on an unnecessary rant to state your opinion that I really don't care about. I was not making a statement about homicide rate nor was I suggesting my own opinion on the causes of gun violence.

Like I said in my statement, that would be Uncanadian to attempt to force my views on others simply because I think I'm right. You would not do well up here. So stay home. Where it's safe.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    Digiratus and HackD like this.
  17. Jan 15, 2016 at 10:26 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Jaab and HackD like this.
  18. Jan 15, 2016 at 10:33 PM
    Yukon Yak

Yukon Yak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    Whitehorse, Yukon Canada
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Access Cab Trails Team
    BFG KO2 285/75R16 OME 886/Dakars Rotopax Pelfreybilt Aluminum Front/Rear HC with gate Dual Batteries Rigid fogs, 20 inch spot/flood, SQR back up Cobra 75, 3' fire stick Custom Storage/Dog Platform in Cab Allpro Apex sliders Allpro Apex Aluminium Pack Rack Allpro Aluminium Gear Rack
    Come North, I need another Yukoner on this forum.

19. Jan 16, 2016 at 6:11 AM
    HackD

HackD Marching to the Beat of a Different Drum

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, eh?
    Vehicle:
    2010 Base 4x2, 2.7L, 5 speed manual 5-lug Slug
    Gone over the Top for a 5-lug..
    And our border should be considered closed to the likes of you, Sir.

Trumph, among his numerous silly campaign-stump promises, had the notion of a physical fence along the northern border. Hey, if the USA is paying .. i'm all for it. However, an Ideological fence already exists - As a society with fundamental value differences, we would generally prefer to keep the socially rabid and politically toxic NRA mind-set well outside of our borders, thanks.

We have the ability to qualify for the privilege of firearms ownership. That is not in question. But we don't have the right to fling high-calibre poo at whim, like a put-out Gorilla in the grass at the protected grounds-keepers that are merely tending the landscaping. Our castle-doctrine doesn't work that way.

Privilege, not Right. Get over your nationally-bestowed, God-Given right to bear Arms. It does not apply here.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    taczilla and Sterdog like this.
  20. Mar 5, 2016 at 6:14 AM
    taczilla

taczilla I intend to live forever; so far.... so good!

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    PEC, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 RAM Rebel
    2012 TRD Sport - STOLEN! / 2016 RAM Rebel
    IBTW

(In before the wall.)

nickj604 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top