1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Moving to Hawaii this summer...Truck inspection questions

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by BassAckwardsDyl, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Jan 22, 2012 at 3:59 PM
    BassAckwardsDyl

BassAckwardsDyl [OP] The Red Bull

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Kapolei, Hi
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport DC 4x4
    She is no longer the same Sport that I bought!!!
    Found out last week that I am transferring out to Hawaii this summer. I will be stationed at Barbers Point. My wife and I are excited and looking forward to what all the islands have to offer. As far as my truck goes, i know i will have to get an inspection done on it when i get there, but i need to know if my current setup is ok, or if i will have to change anything...

Lift installed is a 3" Rough Country spacer lift, LR UCAs, Toytec swaybar relocate and diff drop kit in the front, Rear is a ToyTec AAL, Axel shims, and carrier bearing drop.

I have no mudflaps on the truck and am sitting on 265/75/17s on stock rims that are within the fender flares.

I also have a set of 55w 5000k HIDs in the headlights and 55w 6000k HIDs in the fogs as well as an NFab light bar mounted on the front with Hella 500's converted with 55w 6000k HIDs.

Exhaust is Borla cat back that was already on the truck when i bought it used.

All work was done by me. Please let me know if this will be ok there or what needs to be changed. thanks in advance and am looking forward to meeting a few of yall when we get there.

2. Jan 22, 2012 at 4:00 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
  3. Jan 22, 2012 at 4:04 PM
    BassAckwardsDyl

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Kapolei, Hi
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport DC 4x4
    Thanks, will any ole mudflap do or will it have to be OEM? Also, with my headlights being brighter than most, do you think there will be an issue with them?

4. Jan 22, 2012 at 4:05 PM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    I think if it's halogen it's fine, just cant be HIDs

5. Jan 22, 2012 at 4:09 PM
    BassAckwardsDyl

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Kapolei, Hi
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport DC 4x4
    Guess i will be swapping them back to halogens... no biggie there. Also i saw that i need a front license plate, since the truck will remain registered with Florida, will a front plate be required?

6. Jan 22, 2012 at 4:09 PM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    Im pretty sure you do.

Recon is pretty anal about all the little things

7. Jan 22, 2012 at 4:48 PM
    BassAckwardsDyl

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Kapolei, Hi
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport DC 4x4
    Ill call the number this week and ask.. thanks for the heads up tho... figured id get a head start on a few things, even though it is still a ways off

8. Mar 2, 2012 at 3:53 AM

09638 SCRAPER

Member:
    oahu,hawaii
    Vehicle:
    11 trd sport sr5 prerunner
    2% tint, 20% entire windshield tint, led bulbs, hids, debadged, grey plate covers, shaved antenna, alpine in dash, rockford t2 and amps, rockford highs and mids, 35x12.50x20 toyo mt's, 20x12 fuel octane's deep, 1.5 inch wheel spacers, camburg UCA's, 6" lift w/4" blocks & AAL, 3" body lift, open hood scoop, BHLM, painted emblem, K&N filters, weather tech mats. Next Mod: resevoir rear shocks, Vinyl camo wrap when I'm bored of the grey...
    your going to need recon since you got a lift before you can get a safety. exhaust and bumpers don't need recon but you are able to list them on the recon paper just so cops wont hassle you. to pass recon and the safety check you will need to have your stock halogen bulbs installed and not have really dark tint on the front windows below 35%. also you only need rear mud flaps no front. they need to be as wide as the tire. any mud flap will do but they need to be securely mounted (bolt or screw) and cover half the height of the tire so stock is much easier since its just push pin style mounting. as far as who did the install it doesn't matter. your lift will definitely pass if you fix a couple things, its nothing compared to other trucks here. id schedule your appointment before you get here cuz the wait is long. about a month if I recall correctly.

9. Mar 2, 2012 at 6:40 AM
    BassAckwardsDyl

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Kapolei, Hi
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport DC 4x4
    Thanks for the info. Can the recon be Done here in the states? I know I'll also have alignment papers when I do my inspection.

10. Mar 4, 2012 at 10:41 PM

09638 SCRAPER

Member:
    oahu,hawaii
    Vehicle:
    11 trd sport sr5 prerunner
    2% tint, 20% entire windshield tint, led bulbs, hids, debadged, grey plate covers, shaved antenna, alpine in dash, rockford t2 and amps, rockford highs and mids, 35x12.50x20 toyo mt's, 20x12 fuel octane's deep, 1.5 inch wheel spacers, camburg UCA's, 6" lift w/4" blocks & AAL, 3" body lift, open hood scoop, BHLM, painted emblem, K&N filters, weather tech mats. Next Mod: resevoir rear shocks, Vinyl camo wrap when I'm bored of the grey...
    only on oahu. one office downtown

11. Mar 4, 2012 at 10:54 PM
    Bridgeman

Bridgeman TRD burglar

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Chesapeake, Va
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 Speedway Blue
    You wont have to worry about having a tag on front. Just get an extra sticker for out of state registration. And just have a stock set of everything just for safety checks. As soon as you get a check, put ur goodies back on. Trust me, your truck is pretty tame compared to about 75% of trucks over there. And 95% of those arent quite legal

To Top