1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Moving to Oahu

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by EODTACO, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Apr 4, 2011 at 10:24 PM
    EODTACO

EODTACO [OP] SoCal Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    K Bay Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    ICON Vehicle Dynamics extended travel reservoir front coilovers, ICON uniball upper control arms, ICON rear 2.5” remote reservoir shocks, Rear ARB locking differential with ARB CKMA12 compressor
    Just got orders to K Bay this summer and was wondering about island life. Where would be a good place to look to rent a home? Good places to wheel? Good mechanics if I end up needing one at some point. And any other good info about the island would be awesome!

2. Apr 5, 2011 at 6:49 PM
    raycie

raycie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    - Lots of Marines I know stay on that side of the island.. (Kaneohe/Kailua) But it's Oahu, so almost anywhere is close to everywhere else?

- Most go out to Kaena Pt. or to Peacock Flats. There are pics in this forum.. Just respect the land and you will get respect..

- I guess depends what needs fixing.

- At the risk of sounding (whatever), we have had many good friends who were in the military, some of our best friends.. Lots of different opinions and feelings. The positive comments have definitely come from those whom take the mindset that:
    1. You need to get into the culture. Make some friends with some locals and your whole experience can be a different one.
    2. Remember to respect the locals. Even though you will be calling this your home for the next 3 years (or more), this IS the home to many people who have been here since birth (I am one- born and raised). Respect the culture, respect the people, respect the land. Don't drive like you are on the mainland (I for one don't give a crap if I'm in the left lane.. If I'm already speeding, you don't need me to move over so you can pass.. you go around)
    3. (at least for me).. the term haole is no always derogatory. It can be as in (f-ing Haole), but very loving as my wife is often referred to as my Haole-girl.

P.S.. Thanks for serving our country...
    P.P.S.. When is your truck and furniture leaving, I wanna throw a new OME leaf pack into your container!!.. lol..
    P.P.P.S.. Buy your truck parts now and ship it over. Shipping to Hawaii sucks...

3. Apr 5, 2011 at 11:18 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    Just make sure you respect everyone and everything- things like littering and waste are really frowned upon... I don't really know as much about Oahu but in Hawaii in general everyone knows everyone, so if you make a few friends they'll quickly multiply-but theres always those people that try to make trouble..Just ignore them and you'll be fine.

Get ready for food! I have a bunch of Marine/Army friends over there that find it hard to keep their PT standards with all this Hawaiian food around...I've never met a Soldier or Marine that didn't like some Kalua pork or lau lau. Not many states in the US have a completely different culture to combine foods with.

Keeping with what Raycie said, you're also gonna be introduced to a different kind of language... Broken english with tons of words from different languages thrown in. The faster you learn the language, the easier it is to figure out what some of the "really local" guys are saying. Get ready for Hawaiian words with too many vowels to count.
    (I live in kealakekua, my favorite places to camp are called Makalawena/Kiholo...stuff like that)
    Just my .02.
    Mahalo for your service, and be prepared for ridiculous shipping rates!

4. Apr 5, 2011 at 11:22 PM
    KalamaKid

KalamaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    same shit as everyone else
    Build it before you ship it! As for the "respect the land stuff" Just don't come out here and act like a douche... For some reason the military comes out here and thinks this place owes them something. That attitude doesn't get people very far...

5. Apr 6, 2011 at 1:05 AM
    branj

branj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Paso Robles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner and '16 TRD Pro 4Runner
    Pm sent

6. Apr 6, 2011 at 1:15 AM
    EODTACO

EODTACO [OP] SoCal Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    K Bay Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    ICON Vehicle Dynamics extended travel reservoir front coilovers, ICON uniball upper control arms, ICON rear 2.5” remote reservoir shocks, Rear ARB locking differential with ARB CKMA12 compressor
    I appreciate all the info guys. I was going to hold off on my second round of mods but I am sure I will safe a ton on money if I do them on the mainland.

I don't have any dates yet, I still have a few weeks left in Afghanistan before I get back stateside to get my orders. If you really want something from the mainland let me know and I will see what I can do, I SHOULD be moving at the end of summer.

I have passed though the island for a few days here and there and have enjoyed the culture from what I have seen. And the food is awesome, I am going to have to watch myself when it comes to that!

Thanks again guys and I will hit you up on the forum once I get out there!

7. Apr 13, 2011 at 6:42 PM
    CCFBERG

CCFBERG The Shocker and Me Tall Dark TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    LRAFB Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 SR5 DBL cab
    Kenwood 516 DD head unit, Kenwood 12" sub, Kenwood 1800W amp, Brighter reverse light mod, 2nd Air filter ripped out, Tailgate anti-theft. Fog light anytime. Rearview mirror display in HU mod. JBA shorty headers & Catback. K&N Filter. Smittybilt Nerf Steps. Smittybilt M1 Grille. Pro Comp stage II, 6" Lift. 12V Bed PWR. LED interior lighting
    I WANT ORDERS TO HAWAII NOW!!!!!!! I think thats all Ive ever wanted out of the USAF! But no....I keep getting cold ass grey sky! BOOooooo! All of you in Hawaii, enjoy what you have and respect where you are cuz there are a lot of us that will never be lucky enough to get those orders! You could be stuck in Germany:(
    I Love Oahu! Always have and cant wait to get back there sometime!

Ohh ya and good looking out to you who offered up the Island info! If Im lucky to get orders there out of Germany I will def read and heed and maybe hit you up for info myself if I can...wish me luck and maybe we meet someday!

8. Apr 13, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    ^^lol. I would love to get stationed in germany.

9. Apr 13, 2011 at 8:50 PM
    CCFBERG

CCFBERG The Shocker and Me Tall Dark TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    LRAFB Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 SR5 DBL cab
    Kenwood 516 DD head unit, Kenwood 12" sub, Kenwood 1800W amp, Brighter reverse light mod, 2nd Air filter ripped out, Tailgate anti-theft. Fog light anytime. Rearview mirror display in HU mod. JBA shorty headers & Catback. K&N Filter. Smittybilt Nerf Steps. Smittybilt M1 Grille. Pro Comp stage II, 6" Lift. 12V Bed PWR. LED interior lighting
    Well Ill trade you for Vegas then! Got friends there and love it there also! Germany is good to vissit but not to live in. Its a gigantic pain in the ASS! Cant even wash my truck or bike at my house without wondering if the German guy accross the street is going to call the Polizie on me when he is done washing his car for the fith time today LOL! thats how they are! All up in your junk! Trust me the pain goes deeper than just that and its grey here alllllllll the time! I need Water, beach, sun, and fun! I know, theres no water in Vegas but,,,,still! I did 10 years at Fairchild before this......Im a Cali kid, I require SUN!

10. Aug 15, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    freedomriding

freedomriding FREEDOMEDIA

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRDOR w/KDSS
    Eibach 2.0, STT PROs, Summit Dakars, JBA
    Agreed... and show plenty aloha

11. Aug 16, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    bigwalton15

bigwalton15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    2010 DoubleCab TRD
    Freedomriding, were you parked in town yesterday. I swore I saw your rig parked maybe on Ward mid day, cant remember.

Products Discussed in

To Top