1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Moving to Oregon

Discussion in 'Oregon' started by branj, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Nov 13, 2011 at 1:37 PM
    branj

branj [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Paso Robles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner and '16 TRD Pro 4Runner
    After 8 years, I am getting out of the Marines. My contract isn't up until 2013 so we aren't moving anytime soon but we are trying to gather as much info about the area before we make a decision on where to live in Oregon.

Any recommendations?

2. Nov 13, 2011 at 1:51 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon

Bend Oregon is nice.

3. Nov 13, 2011 at 3:21 PM
    weatherbyman

weatherbyman Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    oregon
    Vehicle:
    sr5 5lug
    I agree, if you can find work there bend /Redmond is the best part of Oregon.

4. Nov 13, 2011 at 10:09 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Depends what you like.
    Bend is drier and more high desert. I personally don't like that dry.
    In towards I-5 is forest and wetter.
    Newport, etc. is nice but is cold and wet - Hawaiians beware, lol.
    There is literally nothing in the south east
    Medford can be OK, but is a bit small and out there. You have to be really outdoorsy, and I imagine work could be slim unless you are doing something specific. My uncle lived there working on dams with the Corps for quite some time.

Most jobs are going to be Portland, Hillsboro, Bend, or Eugene. Each are a bit different.

I personally like anywhere between Salem to Eugene, but that's because I love my trees and mountains while being able to easily access bigger city doings :) Keep out of Portland if you want to retain sanity. Beware Eugene during times of hippy festivals and any time/date/event involving the numbers 4-2-0.

As a Hawaiian, please embrace the North Face or Columbia Sportswear, and know that yes, mother nature makes sure that shoes are mandatory :rofl:

5. Nov 13, 2011 at 11:13 PM
    branj

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Paso Robles, CA
    Vehicle:
    ^thank you for good gouge. Thats exactly the type of info im looking for. I am very active. My wifes an RN so we should be able to move anywhere there is a hospital. I plan on going back to school so i would need a part time job but thats about it.

Any cops/firefighters out there? Ive thought about moving to one of those fields. Any inside info would be appreciated.

Again thanks for the help.

6. Nov 13, 2011 at 11:25 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    If you do MTB, I hear that Black Rock near Junction City is supposed to be the finest spot on the west coast

7. Nov 13, 2011 at 11:28 PM
    jdmdcfan

jdmdcfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    east WA
    Vehicle:
    dcsb
    Avoid east oregon.

8. Nov 13, 2011 at 11:34 PM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    My friend works a t the hospital in Florence, out on the coast, it's small and very pretty out there. A steady stream of injuries from the local dunes keep the hospital running, you can run dunes, hunt, fish, four wheel and get your mud on out there.

9. Nov 13, 2011 at 11:38 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    Whaat... granted, I don't remember any mountains there and there's not much to do, but it's typical rural farming community Oregon, and I'd trade a big smoggy city for it any day. The place is clean, and it's home to the Octoberfest. They have a really strong community as well.

In all though, it's not my first choice for telling someone where to live unless their DD is a deere

10. Nov 14, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    branj

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Paso Robles, CA
    Vehicle:
    So from what im hearing from most people is to stay away from the eastern parts of oregon. Any reason in particular?

11. Nov 14, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    rvcahawaii808

rvcahawaii808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cameron
    beaverton
    Vehicle:
    04 limited T4R 4x4
    you think just cus we from from hawaii we dont know what layering or a waterproof jacket is?

jk i only started layering this past year :D

12. Nov 14, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    lol wolfpack I thought you meant that Mt Angel was a depressing place that should be avoided. I didn't take offense ;) and I see what you mean now.

:confused: Eastern part is perfectly fine, but it's just different in terms of climate.
    If you want it to be drier and hotter, but with a more intense winter go east. Note that this is where Californians usually migrate. Bend had a huge population boom, but I think it's settling out... haven't paid attention lately.
    If you don't mind the wet and want mild seasons throughout the year, go for the willamette valley.
    I mentioned being wary of the coast because it's usually cold, and I assume you are a warmer person. When I think of the coast, I pack a sweatshirt and raincoat - for the summer.
    The rest of the state is going to be more remote, which can be harder for job seekers.

Let's see, it's November on the OSU campus... that means you are wearing a button-up t-shirt, baggy jean shorts, flip flops, and shivering with your arms crossed. Meanwhile there's a $300 North Face coat in your closet from mom that still has the tags on - am I right? :cool: :lol:

13. Dec 19, 2011 at 7:26 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    There is kind of two Oregon's. There is "the valley" which encompasses anything west of the cascades (including Bend). People on that side of the state are very liberal (think california or european mind set), although there are groves of normal folks here and there. Eastern Oregon is the wild west. Cowboys, Indians, and most importantly FREEDOM. Everyone is very polite on this side of the state, mostly because we are all heavily armed. That tends to intimidate city dwellers and they avoid us like the plague, and we're ok with that. As a Veteran myself I highly advise that you check out federal service. It took me about six months of applying for jobs all over the state before I found one that fit me, but it was worth the wait and I really enjoy Federal service. I get a warm and fuzzy serving my country that you just can't get in the civilian sector. As far as law enforcement goes, it's tough budget wise for the State Troopers and hiring is slim. Check out USAJOBS.GOV and OREGONJOBS.ORG and put your Veteran's preference to use! If you need a hand navigating the VA system or either of the job sites PM me, I'm high speed on both and if the Marines are anything like the Army they set you up for failure when you ETS, total mushroom syndrome.

14. Dec 19, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    Bobert14

Bobert14 .

Member:
    I would do damn near anything to move to Eastern Oregon. Born and raised in Washington County/Yamhill County part of the state. The coastal range is beautiful and awesome to explore, but the ridiculous rain, politics, and sheer number of folk in the Willamette Valley just aren't worth it for how limited the Coastal Range is and how restricted access to it can be.

Eastern Oregon has the superior climate and terrain imo. Not to mention tons of wide open space. Hopefully bombing over to a friend's ranch in Tygh Valley for a week end of Dec./ beginning of January for a few days. Some of the prettiest land around.

If I had known about OSU's satellite campus in Bend before I started college there isn't a chance in hell I would be in Corvallis right now.

A taste of Eastern Oregon
    http://www.deschutescounty4wheelers.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1910
    Pics from a couple summer ago's for a trail I helped put in with the Deschutes County 4wheelers at the Hoodoo Ski Area in the Cascades.

My build thread has some of what you'll see in Western Oregon. Western Oregon is gorgeous in the summer and when we get good snow, but the snow is rare and the summer is short.

15. Jan 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    YFZ450MOE

YFZ450MOE When you blow off steam you get an eyepatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Auburn, WA / Roseburg, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 white DCSB TRD (it's getting there)
    Icon Extended Travel 2.5" Coil Overs All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit Bilstien Rear Shocks Fabtech Add-a-Leaf Icon Upper Control Arms All-Pro Rear Bumper w/ Wrap Arounds & Hitch with custom LED plate light BHLM and Morimoto III D2S retrofit Satoshi Grill 2 Hella Black Magics behind Grill Bestop Supertop BAMF sliders
    I'm from roseburg and love it there. It's a somewhat smaller sized town, bout 30 k now I think! It's got all you need with lots of wheeling around. Plenty of public land to go out and have fun plus friendly people in the area! Many places for jobs and a decent sized hospital for your wife, I know as I've been through there a few times! It's got all the mountains and trees you could need with rain in the winter and beautiful summers! Check it out if you haven't moved yet!

16. Jan 3, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    Some dipwad in this thread from E. Wa had a stoopid comment.
    He's prolly a c00g tractor driver from the Palouse. They're inbred up there in that god-forsaken place. :p

Fact is, many of us on the West Side (read wet side) would like to live on the East Side but work is more plentiful on the West Side.

If you grew up in a dry climate, you may not like the West Side.
    Nursing jobs are very competitive in the Portland area.

The rain forest meets the East Side in places like Hood River....it's called the Rain Shadow. The Cascade Mountain Range breaks up the Pacific storms.
    There's a hospital there but the board sailors and yuppies have driven up property values.
    White Salmon is across the river in WA.
    It's nice because if you need the services of the big city (Portland), it's not far away. About an hour.

Bend has a hospital. Very nice area. Cold in winter.
    Some of the most beautiful places on the planet esp. in Spring/Summer.
    Camp Sherman and the Metolius for example.
    About 3-1/2 hours from Portland.

So, the western third of the state has a temperate climate with a beautiful Spring, Summer and Fall. Winter can be a bitch with the rain, but it's what makes it green. The spine of the Cascades is the demising line.

The eastern third has a much drier climate and some parts have a winter like the northern tier states and New England.

I would say that there are 3 distinct "attitudes"....you won't read this
    anywhere.....

Northwest - Portland(Vancouver), Salem, Eugene....the political power base and where most n00bs land.

Southwest - Roseburg, Medford, Ashland....somewhat independent, more California influence.
    (similar to Northwest)

Eastside - The Dalles, Bend, Baker, Burns....very independent (ranchers, etc)....no love for the Westsiders.

17. Jan 10, 2012 at 7:50 AM
    branj

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Paso Robles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks everyone for all the insight. Keep them going. We are wanting to buy a house with a budget of around $300,000. Something with at least a half acre... here in hawaii we were renting a two bedroom one bath 700sq ft condo... $1800 a month, which is pretty cheap for oahu. The cost of property out here is crazy... which is one if the reasons we are looking to move... something that may help guide your recommendations.

18. Jan 10, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
    Personally your desired climate and lifestyle is going to drive your destination. If your looking for mild winters, decent amount of rain, a week of triple digits in the summer then the Metro trial county is nice. Your budget and land want is possible in some parts of East Clackamas County and West Washington County. If you want smaller town but still a decent city the Medford area is beautiful. Bend is also nice, only downfall is that it was hit by the economy worst and is SLOWLY recovering.

If you're looking for farm land then eastern Oregon would be best. There you have more open space, but harsher winters.

Do you have kids? School districts can be hit or miss in Oregon.

There are advantages and disadvantages to all parts of the state. The best part though is you can drive most of it in a day or two.

19. Jan 10, 2012 at 10:36 PM
    branj

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Paso Robles, CA
    Vehicle:
    No kids

20. Jan 19, 2012 at 5:11 PM
    Bobert14

Bobert14 .

Member:
    Pretty much.
    401059_10150538453418189_135627778188_89_8bff2358845a134765c191e4f5e4281270033eff.jpg

To Top