1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MPG? FYI. Why Your Tacoma Gets What It Gets

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by hiPSI, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Jul 12, 2018 at 3:16 PM
    jbroke2

jbroke2 Champagne taste on a beer budget

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Taco SR5 Double Cab (RIP)
    TRD Pro Grille w/ raptor lights, North Mountain Soft Roll Tonneau
    About 21, but I drive a lot of highway on weekends with about a 3 mile commute to work daily

2. Jul 12, 2018 at 3:23 PM
    MakeItWork

MakeItWork Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TRD Offroad

Ha, for sure, it's all relative, I just think it's reasonable to hope to achieve numbers in the ballpark of those advertised. I'm not looking for modern car numbers, I'm looking for 2017 Tacoma TRD OR DCLB numbers. Or even 2008 Tacoma TRD OR DCLB numbers. My truck is stock and I'm not a leadfoot. I'm not trying to get those crazy 28mpgs, I'm just hoping to get within 10 or 20 percent of the ratings I used as one of my decision points when I chose this truck.

3. Jul 12, 2018 at 3:32 PM
    hiPSI

hiPSI [OP] Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    Just a little FYI here on my Tacoma mpg:
    I have gotten as good as 28 mpg for over a 60 mile trip.

I have gotten as low as 12 mpg for a full tank.

Both were drastically different driving styles in different places at different times of the year.

The 28 mpg was basically using hypermiling techniques. 500' elevation, spring time with low humidity, flat interstate, 60 mph, no air conditioning and following a truck way too close. 28 mpg for about 60 miles.

The 12 mpg was local here in the mountains this past winter. Zero degrees, snow out the ass, 4WD all time for a full week.

My point? A 16 mpg swing in efficiency all because different driving conditions and style. I average about 18 in city and a bit over 20 on the highway. But, we are all different and drive different.

Gator352 and boynoyce like this.
  4. Jul 12, 2018 at 3:47 PM
    MakeItWork

MakeItWork Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TRD Offroad

Sure. Now, of course 'drastically different driving styles' covers a lot of subjective ground, but I would argue that a swing like that is crazy, and again to me points to the 'intelligent transmission' as the source of my woes.

With my 08, I got 25 MPG coming down to the bay area from lake tahoe (about a 6k foot descent over 250 miles) and I got 20 MPG going from the bay area up to lake tahoe, with full camping gear and a dirtbike in back. Driving style matters, but it seems to matter a lot more in this truck than in other vehicles, and I feel that in its attempt to 'read' my style and predict my driving, it's screwing me with unintelligent decisions.

Of course, sitting here blaming something (thus far) outside my control is lazy, cowardly and not helpful, but it isn't necessarily incorrect. Absolutely might be incorrect, but isn't necessarily. I think that this is the reason that this forum is littered with (presumably) otherwise reasonable people (and yeah, I think I'm a reasonable and not unintelligent person) pulling their hair out and searching for answers, which certainly may lie entirely within the simple physics laid out in post #1, but may involve something more. And if there is something more, I'd like to find it and address it so that I can get the performance out of my truck that I payed so damn much to receive.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Fieldsy18 likes this.
  5. Jul 12, 2018 at 4:08 PM
    Dacon

Dacon 2017 Tacoma TRD PRO Quikrete

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Gilbert, Arizona.
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO DCSB. DOP 02.20.2017
    TRD PRO Cement 2017 TRD CAI and AFE Magnum Flow Dry Air Filter Camburg KINETIK Series Billet UCA Icon LCA skid plates Icon Coilover extended travel shocks with 700# springs Icon 2" rear shocks Icon RXT leaf springs full pack (new rims and tires soon)
    You fixed taco lean...

6. Jul 12, 2018 at 4:27 PM
    cwdog

cwdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Limited
    Meguiars Ultimate Wax, Rain-X, Dog Bed, Undercover Tonneau Tri-Fold, Debadged.
    Missed it, thanks. Not much mention about it though.

tonered[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jul 12, 2018 at 5:34 PM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    No worries! There'll be a two more pages in just a couple of seconds.

8. Jul 12, 2018 at 5:57 PM
    Stocklocker

Stocklocker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBAT
    Good idea, but she rides in the bed. I think the main issue is aerodynamics.

hiPSI[OP] likes this.
  9. Jul 12, 2018 at 8:29 PM
    cruxofthebisquit

cruxofthebisquit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    OME and worth every penny.
    My question has always been "How come Domestics can get away with 3:50 rear gears and 32 or 33" tires, with a 300 HP engine" yet the Japanese haven't caught on how to make a proper running 'truck' engine that doesn't NEED 4:something's out back?

10. Jul 12, 2018 at 8:43 PM
    Kamille.bidan

Kamille.bidan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blue TRD OR MT

The north American market is unique in that full size monsters are the best selling vehicles. I don't think any other country is like this. Sure, trucks dominate a few other markets like Australia. But, the Hilux and the Ranger dominate those markets, and they are diesel trucks.

I am sure most people in the world scratch their heads when they see Americans in upper-middle class suburbs driving around in Huge trucks that don't haul anything, and never tow anything.

The fact of the matter is. The corporate big-wigs in Japan don't understand the American truck market. That's why they allowed Americans to take over the Tacoma for the 3rd gen, and that's why they are going to give more control over the Tacoma to Toyota of America.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20180326/OEM02/180329837/toyota-truck-translator-mike-sweers

"TOYOTA CITY, Japan — Toyota's truck guy in Japan, Michigan transplant Mike Sweers, looks straight out of central casting as he struts across the Toyota City technical center campus in his close-cropped goatee, auto-tinting eyeglasses and black cowboy boots.

If there were any doubt about his macho 4x4 credentials, Sweers insists he had never even sat in a Prius until being transferred to Japan last year. In fact, the hybrid's noiseless push-button ignition baffled him so much that he repeatedly pushed it thinking something was wrong.

Sweers is lead engineer for the full-size Tundra and....."

11. Jul 12, 2018 at 8:48 PM
    hiPSI

hiPSI [OP] Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    Don't fall for the hype man... they know exactly what they are doing. Just because it's in an article don't make it true.

Gator352, boynoyce and tonered like this.
  12. Jul 13, 2018 at 5:26 AM
    skyking3

skyking3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma SR5 DCSB
    TRD cai, TRD cat back, JFR y pipe,Wilwood BBK,LEDs, Limited Homelink mirror,debadged,WeatherTechs,Dynamat Extreme sound deadening,sabm second snorkle to fender, Huper Optik ceramic tint, TRD Sema wheels, aerodynamic under body pan, OEM Audio Plus 500Q reference system, Depo faux pro headlights, real pro fog lights, OV tune, OEM aluminum filter housing, Mobtown IFS skid,TRD oil cap,TRD radiator cap, Osram Night Breaker 150 halogen headlamps, Fumoto valve,dashboard blackout,OEM tailgate power lock, MESO steering wheel logo, MESO two color dome light, TRD Pro coilovers, Artec LCA skids, Volk TE37 XT forged wheels, Roadmaster Active Suspension Garmin Minicam
    The biggest influence on my MPG is the wind speed and direction. I will copy and paste below a post I made a few months ago about an aerodynamic mod that I did which improved my MPG by just over 1MPG.
    Originally, I posted this mod that I did just over 2 months ago in another thread but will be updating some results here. I installed an aerodynamic under body pan to reduce drag and hopefully regain some of the MPGs I lost when I added larger tires and wheels.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The following results are from a trip that I drive once a week.
    25.5MPG
    25.1MPG
    26.1MPG
    23.9MPG (huge headwinds)
    25.9MPG
    24.7MPG
    The next 2 results were taken after I removed the pan since I was taking it to the dealer for service.
    24.1MPG(no need for AC)
    23.6MPG(AC needed)
    The average with the pan is 25.2MPG and the average without is 23.85. the pictures below were taken with the pan on.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The following is the original link with more information.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/what-have-you-done-to-your-3rd-gen-today.399305/page-3813
    post76254

The above results were from the same trip and the same conditions with the exception of wind. The wind could either increase or decrease the MPG by 1 MPG. Hope this helps.

hiPSI[QUOTED][OP], musher and tonered like this.
  13. Jul 13, 2018 at 5:37 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road Premium 4Runner Lunar Rock
    I have wondered how skids might impact mpgs.

14. Jul 13, 2018 at 6:37 AM
    greengs

greengs Well-Known Member

Member:
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma Pro, 2023 WRX
    Have you guys ever parked next to a Silverado/F150/Colorado? Just look at the front of a Tacoma compared to those trucks. It seems my bumper is about a foot higher stock. Those trucks have exteemly low front bumpers/chins to try and extract every little bit of mileage out of it. I don't mind paying a bit more in gas to not have to worry about parking blocks for example.

15. Jul 13, 2018 at 7:11 AM
    Tivalleyok

Tivalleyok Active Member

Member:
    SE Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2018 White TRD Off-Road
    Fords and Rams fronts seem like they are an inch of the ground..

tonered likes this.
  16. Jul 13, 2018 at 7:12 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Approach angle means nothing if all that you ever crawl over is the curb to the driveway.

Gator352, hiPSI[OP] and Taco16LB like this.
  17. Jul 13, 2018 at 7:46 AM
    TacoRD16

TacoRD16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Fox 2.5 RR C/O Fox 2.0 RR Rear Dakar leaf Pack Headstong Brakeline Extension Bracket 16"Konig Countersteer wheels BFG's KO2 285/75r16 All-Pro UCA 1.25" All-Pro APEX Slidders Unided CB w/ Firestick II Lamin-X fog Lens 1" Diff Drop OME 1/2" CB Drip OME Mobtown 3/16" Skid plates: Front, Trans and Transfer case Relentless Hood Brackets AuxBeam Ditch Lights DBCustons Grill "Recolored" Matt Black Relentless High Lift Mount Softopper Diff Breather Mod Tail Gate Inserts HondoGarage Tablet Vent Mount Weather Tech Floor Liner
    Electric Radiator Fan: yes
    Active Aero: Its a truck and we already have a chin spoiler on non Off Road models that people take off.
    Active Cylinder Deactivation: Personal experience with Honda Pilot pistons rings dried up for the cylinders that deactivated and overheated and cracked. No thanks.
    Engine start/stop: Most annoying shit ever and would require more replacements ( especially when introduced into off roading environments I would speculate)
    Aluminum/ High Strength steel: We already have composite beds with dual C channel high strength frames.

Our trucks were built for off roading... look at ground clearance and frontal wheel exposure that increases drag.

Gator352, musher and tonered like this.
  18. Jul 13, 2018 at 8:03 AM
    Harvo

Harvo Hanging On !!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD Offroad DCSB
    SpiderTrax, RCI Sliders, Warn bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Ridge Grapplers...
    An excellent read. I just came back east from colorado. While I was there (never below 6000ft) I was using 85 octane gas, compared to the 87 I use at home.

At home, I often try to drive as conservatively as possible. My best mpgs are low 18s, but my typical tank average is about 17.5.

In colorado, I was at elevation and climbing alot. I Kept the transmission in S mode and never allowed it to shift above 5th gear. Most of the time I was in 4th, with downshifts into 2nd for extended periods at 5000 RPMs. I was there for aweek and was surprised to see tank averages stayed the same or slightly better than they are at home.
    All the mileage info was based on the truck's computer though. Nor sure how that happened, but if some one knows I'd like to hear.

hiPSI[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  19. Jul 13, 2018 at 8:24 AM
    Taquitoqvola

Taquitoqvola Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRDORDCSB MT QUIKASFKSAND
    Good read! Thx for breakdown

hiPSI[OP] likes this.
  20. Oct 5, 2018 at 11:35 PM
    hiPSI

hiPSI [OP] Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    My truck turned over 20K miles today... in nine months.
    My "lifetime" average so far is 19.96 mpg, lets call it 20 mpg. My driving habits are 80-20 highway to city. No real mods except AT tires that would influence efficiency. Overall, I think the truck is performing as advertised. I have had no real issues and the truck feels like it will go 250K no sweat and minimal maintenance.
    Since mine is a manual, it pulls strong, especially at 3500 rpm lol. Going from 3rd to 6th at 70 mph is always cool.

I just wanted to update this thread to show that, even driving hard, this truck performs as advertised.

Wsteven, boynoyce, tonered and 2 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top