1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MPG help!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 1badTaco, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Dec 14, 2006 at 10:15 AM
    dendur

dendur Member

Member:
    No it does not do any harm to the vehicle and yes you could do it yearly, now keep in mind it's not the cure all to end all.

2. Dec 14, 2006 at 1:00 PM
    ImInLoveWithMyTruck

ImInLoveWithMyTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks for the info. I don't plan on doing it at all actually. I'm very happy with my HP and MPG (For now).

3. Dec 18, 2006 at 9:14 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Did any TW members try this voodoo? Is your truck still alive and well? Let us know. :rain:

4. Dec 18, 2006 at 9:32 AM
    RAPOM

RAPOM Well-Known Member

Member:
    I did it, but can't tell any difference yet.

5. Dec 18, 2006 at 4:17 PM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    good question :0) it should not affect it in anyway but regardless you never know.

6. Dec 21, 2006 at 6:02 AM
    reustis

reustis Member

Member:
    I also have a Rav4 and go to rav4world site. I posted the ECU reflash there and here is a response I got from another person.

Thats actually not a reflash. Thats clearing the learned memory. Its not gonna make a difference cause after a while it will go back to learn same driving habits anyway. A reflash is removing ALL working parameters from the ecm and reprogramming all the info again.. You need a programmer to reflash an ecm...BIG difference..

So, who is right?? I am sure I don't know.

Merry Christmas all, and Happy New Year.

7. Dec 22, 2006 at 5:37 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    A reflash is when the ECU itself is actually re-programmed by a flash scanner or other computer input device. Basically the ECU is reloaded with the operating software. When you unplug the battery, all you are doing is clearing out the memory of the pattern of the way you drive. YOu are not doing any re-programming! Think of it like this, you are typing a document on your computer, you haven't saved anything and the power goes out.....you lose all your data that you were working on, but the computer can still restart and operate as it's supposed to.

All unplugging the battery does is cause your ECU to have to relearn your driving patterns wether you're hard on the gas, or drive like a grandma, do you manually shift the auto, how your spark plugs fire. It works on pretty much any car from the 90's up. As it was mentioned earlier, this is only a temporary fix to some problems, not the end all be all answer to fuel mileage.

Some things to think about, constantly removing the ECU from the battery and replugging it in runs the risk of ESD (Electro Static Discharge). Your ECU is a sensitive piece of electronic hardware, if you cause a voltage spike/static electricity (like from the car battery) by plugging it in/taking it off, you run the risk of totally damaging the ECU; and your car will not run, not to mention these things aren't cheap to replace. Not to mention you run the risk of bending the sensitive pins inside the connector which will cause your car to idle rough, not run properly, and have certain electronics/monitor gauges fail (tire pressure monitor, fuel warning) So be careful when trying to do this procedure.

Hope this clears up some confusion.

Steve

8. Jan 8, 2007 at 10:34 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device

This was my understanding as well. I was under the impression (and, trust me, like my favorite Radiohead song - I might be wrong.) that if someone test-drove the vehicle before you and drove it like they stole it then the ECU would have "learned" their style of driving and incorporated the air/fuel ratio and powerbands into it's "learned" programming. Resetting the ECU as stated above would help "unlearn" those driving habits and reset the ECU to your driving.

I was told by a technician at Volkswagen that all cars are supposed to get this basic "reset" just before you drive off with your new car.
    :confused:
    Like I said before - this is just what I have heard, and I might be wrong!
    ;)
    Anyone else know anymore about this? steviestyles? Themaster?

I only have 400 miles on my 007Tacoma (2.7L PreRunner), and I am getting low 20's. :frusty: I am hoping for much better as I will be doing a ton of highway traveling with my new truck (48 mile round trip work/home 6 days a week).

We should keep this thread up-to-date with our current mileages. I am particularly curious about the 2.7 guys (and gals)!

9. Jan 8, 2007 at 2:42 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    In Canada (dont know about US), new vehicles are subject to a PDI (pre delivery inspection) before it is handed over to the new owner. The PDI costs over $1,000 in most cases and includes an ECU reset. This reset is done by a computer and not by battery disconnect. A battery disconnect for over 30 seconds will achieve similar results however your one touch power window, compass and tire pressure monitor must be re-initialized. Cheers.

10. Jan 8, 2007 at 4:09 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    So, suposedly, this isn't something that you should have to do. I am going to just leave mine alone - better safe than sorry!

I am going to hold out and hope that my MPG will get better after the first 1000 miles. We shall see. I have faith in my new truck.

11. Jan 10, 2007 at 5:15 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I am up to 900 miles on the odo. I am STILL getting 21-22 MPG on mostly highway driving...

:( I hope it gets better soon.

12. Jan 11, 2007 at 4:19 AM
    cockyockyfree

cockyockyfree Member

Member:
    Well I am getting 14.5 miles per gallon and a little miffed. I am going to do the battery thing when I can, right now the DOL is in the way. (Dept. Of Licencing)

13. Jan 11, 2007 at 8:28 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    It is my understanding that the Cold Air Intake will actually hurt your gas mileage a bit. I have no idea what exhaust modifications do to it.:(

Does anyone have an upgraded ECU???

14. Jan 18, 2009 at 11:44 AM
    MurphyZ

MurphyZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    89 SAS 3.4 1st gen 4runner- Sold 3.4 swap cut hood for clearance exhaust x-over and magnaflow muffler lockright in the rear SAS 83 toy axle (Wab-Fab) 4xinnovations sliders roof rack from 2nd gen for kayak.
    i was getting 17 with my 06 ac 4x4 6speed manual:eek:. ----now 13.8:mad:,changed the plugs, new air filter, stock everywhere else.

thought that my fuel was being stolen so i bought a locking gas cap and just filled it up so... we will see.
    any suggestions? stealership didnt give me anything, like always.
    need help 97,000 on the odo. but i keep synthetic for oil, put fuel addatives and still crappy gas!! i just want 17 mpg in town!!

ethonol rating 10% and i dont know here in medford oregon if they have winter fuel mixes like diesel does. need help!!

15. Jan 18, 2009 at 12:30 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Improving air flow doesn't improve fuel economy. Adding air means you can burn more fuel, so it would increase power.
    http://fuelsaving.info/power_economy.htm

16. Feb 17, 2009 at 4:57 PM
    MurphyZ

MurphyZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    89 SAS 3.4 1st gen 4runner- Sold 3.4 swap cut hood for clearance exhaust x-over and magnaflow muffler lockright in the rear SAS 83 toy axle (Wab-Fab) 4xinnovations sliders roof rack from 2nd gen for kayak.
    still having the same problem like before 14 in town.... used to get 17.... help

17. Feb 17, 2009 at 5:16 PM
    TheTacoManChach

TheTacoManChach I AM THE GREAT CHACHOLIO!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Fayetteville, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    Halo Headlights Black W/ LED LED TailLights Bermuda 3rd Brake Black Pioneer/Alpine System Debadge Entire Rebadge Driver Side Door Black Volant CAI Tool Box ARB Front Bumper Flat Black Painted Grill Surround
    Hmmm? contradictory?
    I want to flash my truck after i install my new CAI...
    Is this the proper way?

18. Dec 19, 2009 at 8:59 AM
    Gwest1967

Gwest1967 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    S.E. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    SR5 V6 4x4 Ext Cab
    16 inch tires/wheels
    Hello, thanks for the tip.. Does this work on 1st gen toyotas too??? V6??

19. Oct 6, 2014 at 7:43 AM
    DiggerRon

DiggerRon Digger

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    USA Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 4x4 Tacoma
    Cut 4'' from front mud flaps, Applied Fluid Film to frame for rust preventative,
    Hi, I have a new Tacoma have not checked mind. I have close friend that has a 2013 Tacoma. He added 1 pound air to the tires 1/2 mi. better avg. He has 2 pounds in his tires he thinks its better now. I added 2 pounds to my Tacoma.

20. Oct 6, 2014 at 7:57 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes

Products Discussed in

To Top