1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MPG help!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 1badTaco, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Oct 6, 2014 at 8:07 AM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    images_b727661ea7d95debd67e9a47fd3a0ef530fdaed9.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Oct 6, 2014 at 8:17 AM
    Mizzouborn

Mizzouborn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma PreRunner
    Thorley Headers Dual Exhaust Flowmaster 40s Bilstein Shocks/Struts K&N Air Filter
    I have an '06 Taco, double cab (V-6) & I've done several "mods" since I've had the truck: K&N filter, upgraded shocks/struts, Thorley headers and complete dual exhaust (no cats) and have made the truck as aerodynamic as possible (window vents and front low profile bug/hood saver). Prior to the header/exhaust mod I was getting "on average" about 20.5 and up (that's with the AC) and 21 without the AC. Since then I've noticed a slight bump in regular driving (my last fill-up was 21.8 and that's with the AC about half the time) and when I tow my boat; was 17.5+, now 19.5 with the AC.

I'm not suggesting that you get headers/dual exhaust but getting better mileage is a mindset; drive cheap. I'm a cheapskate at heart so no problem for me (despite what I paid for the exhaust upgrades). As small as our tanks are, it doesn't take a lot to screw up your MPG; just a few jackrabbit starts or a couple of hours of "city" driving or sitting at a few lights can drive down your mileage a lot.

Buying gas is the one thing where we don't see a "return on investment"; yes it gets us to work and play but we can't touch it or see it, it's an invisible expense.

Squeezing every mile out of a gallon of gas is just changing a few habits and sticking with them.

3. Oct 6, 2014 at 8:48 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
  4. Oct 6, 2014 at 8:56 AM
    TacoGlenn

TacoGlenn Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGMAC 2.7L SR5
    Hellwig 1251's, Leer 122, Kahtec smart stop delay flashing 3rd brake light, de-chromed, de-badged, WeatherTech mats, WeatherTech side window deflectors,
    I recall seeing on another thread that some members suggest bumping up the psi to 35(-37) as long as you remain on paved roads; this might squeeze out a few more mpg. You might want to do a chalk test after the increase in psi just to make sure you're not wearing away too much of the tire center.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top