1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MPG Mods

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by kylefrdavis, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Jan 21, 2010 at 1:32 PM
    LeadFootCaliKid

LeadFootCaliKid It's a work in progress.

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Temecula/North SD
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    Total Chaos UCA's, Icon coil-overs, Icon gas reservoir rear shocks, Eagle Alloy 17", Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75/17, Flowmaster 40, Kenwood deck, and dual 10" Kicker subs, shorty antenna. There's more...
    Hey guys. New to TW here. I've got a K&N Filter that I've cleaned and oiled 3 times through about 15,000 miles (I know I should be better about that). I've never had any problems with it. After reading what some of you were saying, I'm starting to think, do I want to scrap it and get an AFE?

I've never had any idiot lights go off or anything. My airbag light is on right now and reads something about "open in D-squib circuit" or something weird. Related?

And am I right that no CAI's or aftermarket intakes are CA street legal?

Thanks

2. Jan 21, 2010 at 2:03 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    ^ ya unless they have a carb exempt number. Get a filter don't waste money with ca- unless its a true cold air such as the urd or even maybe the trd

3. Jan 21, 2010 at 2:16 PM
    LeadFootCaliKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Temecula/North SD
    Vehicle:
    Total Chaos UCA's, Icon coil-overs, Icon gas reservoir rear shocks, Eagle Alloy 17", Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75/17, Flowmaster 40, Kenwood deck, and dual 10" Kicker subs, shorty antenna. There's more...
    If I got CAI it would be TRD. Unless I wanted to do some cutting. URD makes the stage 2 CAI where you need to cut the radiator support, right?

4. Jan 21, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    thechef

thechef Gone Phishin

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2010 4cyl 2.7L Tacoma Access Cab
    sorry for my newness guys. i was going to buy a k&N air filter for my 2010 tacoma but ya'll are saying it will mess up my MAF. im sorry i dont know what that is. but ya'll are saying to get an afe pro dry air filter. do they make that for the 2010's and what are the benefits of the afe pro dry filter. i know what the k & N can do, is it the same as what the afe pro dry can do? :cool:

5. Jan 21, 2010 at 3:02 PM
    LeadFootCaliKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Temecula/North SD
    Vehicle:
    The oil that K&N uses in their filters and cleaning kits have been known to mess with the MAS (Mass Airflow Sensor) on a lot of cars. It was so bad at one point that at some places it would void the warranty it you put one in. Apparently K&N spent a bunch of money to prove that their products weren't the cause of the problem. Either people still believe that it messes with things or it actually does. Either way, if you haven't bought it yet, get the AFE.

I am assuming that the AFE is washable but doesn't require any oils or anything.

6. Jan 21, 2010 at 3:05 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    ^ what he said

7. Jan 21, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    thechef

thechef Gone Phishin

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    oh ok, thanks. i am looking online for an AFE pro dry filter and i can not find one on autoanything.com atleat not for a 2010 tacoma they have for 2009. also what would you recommend to improve my accelration, my understanding is the air filter (k&n or AFE) would be a cheap way to do both add power and increase MPG. any suggestions?

8. Jan 21, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    Afe are lifetime filter and require no oil. You typically get the oil to mess with the maf when you over oil the filter.

9. Jan 21, 2010 at 3:18 PM
    LeadFootCaliKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Temecula/North SD
    Vehicle:
    thechef: headers, intake, exhaust. All bolt on.

How long is one of the "recharger packs" supposed to last? I've always been pretty generous with my oil. I got 2 uses out of one can.

10. Jan 21, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    thechef

thechef Gone Phishin

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    well i can not find an afe pro dry air filter for my year tacoma (2010) can I use the one for the 2009 tacoma or not? :cool:

11. Jan 21, 2010 at 3:42 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    I don't see why not about using it for a 2010. I don't think they changed the airbox size or anything like that. Also since your a 2.7 lce and doug thorley make a header for our engines and people seem to choose just an aftermarket muffler instead of a cat back due to cost to power ratio isn't there, but the sounds are nice. You can also do a secondary removal, some people like (feel) a difference some don't, your truck your call :)

12. Jan 21, 2010 at 3:49 PM
    LeadFootCaliKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Temecula/North SD
    Vehicle:
    A secondary removal?

13. Jan 21, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    That charoal filter that's behind your air filter in your intake box. I thinks there's a diy on it

Brie likes this.
  14. Jan 21, 2010 at 4:34 PM
    LeadFootCaliKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Temecula/North SD
    Vehicle:
    Oh. That's the first thing I did. Haha.

15. Jan 21, 2010 at 5:04 PM
    thechef

thechef Gone Phishin

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    yeah but my office mechanic told me if i removed the charcoal filter then it wouldn't pass inspection. the filter is for noxious gases. i want to remove that filter but i dont want to void my warranty or make it not pass inspection, i would of course put it back on when i take it for inspection. any thoughts?? :cool:

16. Jan 21, 2010 at 5:08 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    I don't know what the rules are there but in az I think we get a few years before we need to get emisiions tested. Do you really think they are gonna check your intake box to see if that filter is there? I would think as long as there isn't a check engine light and have the stock box you should be ok. But that my thinking or rational, not the governments

17. Jan 22, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    LeadFootCaliKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Temecula/North SD
    Vehicle:
    Think about the type of guys that do your smog. Are they even going to know what they're looking for? When smogging a car, the machine give you a list of mandatory things that the specific year/make/model needs to have. All he does is walk around, look, and check boxes. Unless he has a tacoma, and has taken his out already, I doubt he would even know what he is looking for. The is no way to actually test for it. You schould be fine. Just rip that sh!t out.

18. Jan 22, 2010 at 8:47 AM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    Get the AFE pro dry for the 2010. I have one also and bought the filter...and dropped it right in. No problems with fit.

19. Jan 24, 2010 at 8:26 PM
    Wrencher86

Wrencher86 Active Member

Member:
    Chicago, Il
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 5Spd Reg. Cab 4cyl.
    Here in Chicago, the procedure for emissions testing is hooking up a scan tool and making sure all of the vehicle monitors have run. The car is supposed to check itself for problems. They don't do a visual inspection. The secondary "air filter" is a pad impregnated with charcoal. When you shut the truck off there is still a fuel charge in a couple of the cylinders. The pad traps the vapors until the next time you start the truck then they are pulled through and burned.

As for the airbag light with the "squib open" code, the squib is what they call the actual airbag unit. There is either an internal problem with the unit and it needs to be replaced($$$), which is most likely, or there is a wiring problem somewhere. It's not related to your intake.

Brie likes this.
  20. Jan 25, 2010 at 1:16 PM
    thechef

thechef Gone Phishin

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Houston
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top