1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MPG Mods

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by kylefrdavis, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Sep 22, 2014 at 1:48 PM
    Yota64

Yota64 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    Oh okay, I will have to add GPH to my initial screen and see. Thanks

2. Sep 23, 2014 at 11:01 AM
    Mizzouborn

Mizzouborn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma PreRunner
    Thorley Headers Dual Exhaust Flowmaster 40s Bilstein Shocks/Struts K&N Air Filter
    I'm pretty consistent with high 20 to low 21. I completely re-did my exhaust system a couple of months ago to include: Thorley long tubes, dual exhaust, NO cats (thanks Florida!!) and have seen a slight bump in mpg under normal driving conditions but a good bump in mpg while towing my boat which makes sense considering the HP increase. My mpg when towing my boat would drop to mid 17 and after the exhaust upgrade it was mid 19. Now I didn't do the upgrade to get better mpg but am enjoying though

3. Oct 6, 2014 at 12:28 PM
    VenturaSuperMagna

VenturaSuperMagna Loving Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    Go Rhino D2 Stainless Steel steps, Gator FX3 Tonneau Cover, in bed battery powered Led light, Pop and lock power tailgate lock, keyed locks for all 5 storage compartments, in window channel rain deflectors, front hood bug deflector, weather tech floor mats. More to come...
    I was checking the info on the AFE air filters and the link to auto anything. Their site asks me the physical size of the air filter. My truck is new with 1500 miles on it I have not pulled out the filter yet... Anyone know the size of these off the top of their head?

4. Oct 6, 2014 at 9:00 PM
    Chas of MRT

Chas of MRT Total Automotive Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Chas
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra V8
    Airaid Bilstein

its a weird shape:

[​IMG]

05+ Tacoma 4.0 aFe Part number 31-10114 - Pro Dry S

5. Oct 6, 2014 at 9:35 PM
    VenturaSuperMagna

VenturaSuperMagna Loving Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    Go Rhino D2 Stainless Steel steps, Gator FX3 Tonneau Cover, in bed battery powered Led light, Pop and lock power tailgate lock, keyed locks for all 5 storage compartments, in window channel rain deflectors, front hood bug deflector, weather tech floor mats. More to come...
  6. Oct 7, 2014 at 8:11 AM
    jensenjoe

jensenjoe Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2000 XtraCab 4x4 SR5, red
    42" LED lightbar, CB, PA system, sirens, SKL Motorworks KL-PRO1 performance chip, Viper alarm w/keyless entry, Rancho Quicklift Loaded struts, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel front spacers, RuggedLift 2" rear block spacers, Revtek 1" Diff-drop, 4' Firestik w/custom fabbed bed mount, round LED flood/fog lights, Apex 8000k Xenon HID's
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I just recently discovered a great way to improve your mpg, especially in stop and go traffic. Get fuel injector cleaner and pour it into your tank before you fill up. For me I usually get about 200 miles per tank, after pouring the injector cleaner into my tank I am getting about 260-275 miles per tank. Keep in mind that for an $8 bottle of cleaner that's big savings in the long run. You should only use it once a month at most. Everyone is going to get different results based on their truck and how new, old, beat up,etc the engine is, but for those of us in 1st gens or frequently driven 2nd gens it should make at least a minor improvement.

7. Oct 7, 2014 at 8:13 AM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle

What brand are you using?

8. Oct 7, 2014 at 8:18 AM
    jensenjoe

jensenjoe Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2000 XtraCab 4x4 SR5, red
    42" LED lightbar, CB, PA system, sirens, SKL Motorworks KL-PRO1 performance chip, Viper alarm w/keyless entry, Rancho Quicklift Loaded struts, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel front spacers, RuggedLift 2" rear block spacers, Revtek 1" Diff-drop, 4' Firestik w/custom fabbed bed mount, round LED flood/fog lights, Apex 8000k Xenon HID's
    Chevron is what I use :)

9. Oct 8, 2014 at 6:48 AM
    Hansel

Hansel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    base
    Chevron Techron is a good product.

But now I use Redline Complete SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner.

It has the most polyethyl amine detergents (PEA), the active ingredient in these products. From research I did, it is the best bang for the buck.

Either one is fine.

10. Oct 8, 2014 at 6:53 PM
    no mods

no mods Well-Known Member

Member:
    cincinnati
    Some stickers
    ^ u find that in bobtheoilguy forums?

11. Oct 8, 2014 at 7:10 PM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
    Sorry to disagree here but, I wholeheartedly disagree with any shelf bought cleaner increasing mileage 60/75 a tank.
    Please be careful. Those point of sale items are not even considered maintenance worthy by the pros.
    Consumer reports has done studies and maintains Gunk is meh at best and is the best of buying off the shelf.
    I tend to use BG44k on my older vehicles once a year at most.
    Look into a professional injector svc at a reputable shop and learn about your regional fuel, ethanol and the mix.
    Sounds to me like you need to purchase better fuel as you are doing your motor no favors by adding that crap every fill up.
    Best of luck.

12. Oct 9, 2014 at 12:18 PM
    VinTaco

VinTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Burnaby bc
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Tacoma TRD OR
    I agree with you, I have tried everything to bring up the mileage with no success so I guess you just have to live with what you get.
    By the way, I see you debadged your Tacoma, I did the same thing then though maybe I should put the TRD decals back on until I found out how much Toyota wants for them... $120 EACH..

13. Oct 9, 2014 at 1:23 PM
    Yota64

Member:
    When you say TRD decals, do you mean bedside vinyl stickers or TRD emblems?

Either way, both can be found for MUCH cheaper.

14. Oct 9, 2014 at 2:28 PM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
    There are a couple very skilled vinyl sticker members that have and will produce anything you want here on TW. From TRD to personalized. They do excellent work.
    Last week when I got home with my 2015, the first thing I did was removed TRD and every bit of chrome I could find. It made my lift fit better :)

Grill is off for color match and Homer Taco's Ghost Raptor mesh sexyness.
    [​IMG]

15. Oct 10, 2014 at 4:51 AM
    VinTaco

VinTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Burnaby bc
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Tacoma TRD OR
    Well you know anything bought from the dealer is always 10 times the price of what you can pay on here and ebay etc.
    Your ride is looking pretty sweet already, just watch out for buses ok..?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. Oct 30, 2014 at 8:29 PM
    RdRunr

RdRunr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    still in the Matrix
    Vehicle:
    2014 Base, white, reg cab, 2.7L, 5-spd
    LCE header, Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow muffler
    I made my first mod! I cut off the exhaust after the cats and installed a Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow muffler with a turn-down. I used the muffler with a 2.25" inlet/outlet and a 2.25" pipe. Looks like I gained around 1 MPG. (I also gained a great sound!) My highest MPG after the muffler is now 34.6 MPG!

I commute, so the long drive means the engine spends most of the time at operating temperature (which is most efficient). I have a very hilly drive, which is bad for mileage, but I coast downhill where possible. I also do a little hypermiling. Actually, that was my first mod. Changing the way I drove gave me about 2 or 3 more MPG. When I drive "normal", I'm usually under 30 MPG.

Next mod: I've got an LCE header waiting at home. :D

17. Oct 30, 2014 at 9:33 PM
    Yota64

Member:
    That is a strange success story with exhaust but I'm happy for you! I wonder how it would work on a v6.
    As for hills,
    Before the hill: Maintain speed or accelerate slowly.
    Up: Decelerate slowly
    (Optional) Crest: Accelerate back to speed
    Down: coast, and right before it levels out get back up to speed.

I do this on the Rainbow bridge and usually it boosts my AVG MPG a tad.

From Google:[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  18. Nov 12, 2014 at 8:04 PM
    RdRunr

RdRunr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    still in the Matrix
    Vehicle:
    2014 Base, white, reg cab, 2.7L, 5-spd
    LCE header, Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow muffler
    Why do you think it's strange? If you remove a restriction in the system, it's got to be more efficient. Easier for the engine to push exhaust out a less restrictive system, so there should be a gain in HP and MPG. It just might not always be measurable.

Interesting bridge. My hills are not as steep and are longer, but I use a similar technique. I try to hold same throttle position and let truck slow as I climb, and gain back the speed going down. If the hill is long enough and I'm going as fast as I want, I coast in gear for a while (depending on the hill).

The header is on, truck sounds great! First tank was the worst I've seen in a while (28.5 MPG). I was really enjoying the new sound! :D I drove "normal" the last tank and saw 30.7 MPG, about what I expected. Now I'll have to try to beat my old record. Oh, wait, it's gotten a lot cooler. That will probably hurt my mileage?

19. Nov 12, 2014 at 10:12 PM
    Yota64

Member:
    Putting a larger exhaust that's less "restrictive" isn't always an improvement. You need a certain amount of backpressure, and plus if less restriction=more mpg and power was the case, they would come with oversized exhausts from the factory. For that reason, MOST people show little to no gains with aftermarket exhaust unless it's a complete and expensive redo.

However, your data does show otherwise and I'm glad you have better MPG. As for the temperature I have no idea... Others do, but I don't. I wish I could say 28.5 was my worst tank! :laugh:

Also glad your truck sounds good.

20. Nov 12, 2014 at 10:26 PM
    tooter

tooter play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2012, std cab, 5 lug, 2.7, 5 speed
    Built for maximum low end torque, tooter II.VII intake manifold spacer, LCE long tube header, Injen long tube intake, 2,900 rpm torque peak.
    I got to see and ride in Dan's truck and he's really onto something. Getting gas mileage out of a truck that rivals passenger cars is truly remarkable. :eek:

The V6 would likely do well with the same Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow muffler, except with larger collars to accept the larger diameter exhaust pipe.

I stuck my head under his truck while he was revving the engine, and even with a short turndown pipe, the sound was so smooth with no rasp or rice. He doesn't have cab drone either.

Flowmaster mufflers don't use sound deadening material like other muffler manufacturers. They employ unique sound cancelling features in their mufflers, and that's why they sound and perform different from all the others.

Greg

Products Discussed in

To Top