1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MPG's down

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Sprink21, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Jan 17, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    Sprink21

Sprink21 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2010 dbl cab 4x4
    K&N Intake, AirAid Throttle Body Spacer, Banks CatBack Exhaust
    A month ago I bought a K&N 63 sereries intake and Banks Monster Exhaust expecting to get at least just one extra mpg. Instead I went from about 21mpg at stock to 19mpg with intake and exhaust at hwy with the same driving habits. My truck is completely stock with the exception of the intake and exhaust that i mentioned. Any suggestions?

2. Jan 18, 2011 at 12:46 PM
    ERIC

ERIC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Impulse Red TRD PreRunner SOLD
    Pioneer double din navi head unit and four 5x7 alpine speakers, westin light bar, procomp lights, head and tail lights, black billet grille, billet antienna, gibson headers and cat back exhaust, afe cold air, uni chip programmer, Bilstein 5100's, Pro comp wheels and tires, tint, blacked out emblems, innu roof rack, yakima basket, foglight mod...
    your MAF sensor is most likely broken or really dirty. Your intakes filter comes pre oiled, when the oil is sucked through the filter it can cover the sensor, either shorting it out or giving it false readings. Giving you worse mpg. I would definitly check that one first. And alot of the times it wont set off the check engine light. Just hope its not broken cause they can be quite pricey

3. Jan 18, 2011 at 1:46 PM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Go back to stock for the best MPG map. Any addons will hurt MPG period. Been there done that, discussed up and down here. Nobody wants to be butt hurt and admit it, but Intakes and (most) exhausts hurt MPG.

4. Jan 18, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    2K6 Taco

2K6 Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport D-Cab LG Bed
    How can the MAF sensor be cleaned? I got the 63 series too and i've seen really bad gas mileage

5. Jan 18, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    This ^^^^^

6. Jan 18, 2011 at 9:46 PM
    SimO

SimO Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    West Shore, PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Type-S
    The biggest problems I have personally seen with aftermarket parts on a vehicle, is that they were installed incorrectly.

Have you checked for an exhaust leak? Or did you do right and weld the new exhaust system up.

I think if the MAF wasn't reading correctly or contacts weren't being made, it would most likely throw a code.

Most of the time, the simple bolt-ons can benefit power at different ranges but the owner counters that by getting on the pedal more. It's natural for most to do this.

7. Jan 18, 2011 at 9:54 PM
    "OldManTan"

"OldManTan" Bye bloody Taco... Hello MGM Burrito!

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    Holy chit, I've done a lot already!!
    Go to the local auto parts store, buy CRC MAF sensor cleaner. Remove the sensor and spray to clean. Reinstall. Be careful handling the sensor as they aren't cheap. Simple 5 minute job. It did mess with my wifes Xterra, but I seafoamed too, but resolved itself quick. Never had a problem on my old Chevy or my Taco.

8. Jan 18, 2011 at 9:56 PM
    BlazeTaco

BlazeTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    4.0l 6sp SR5
    TRD Exhaust TRD Filter
    3" exhaust is to big for a stock six cylinder, you should have something smaller like 2 1/2" gas engines actually like some back presure, but not too much. And one of the after market intakes are not the best for the type of calibration our MAF's have stock, you need something to adjust the Cal.

9. Jan 18, 2011 at 9:59 PM
    judd94

judd94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Vehicle:
    17 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium
    Mods in Progress
    its not a dirty sensor its the intake. i had the same intake on my 06 and it drops mpg. theres no way around it. i had a trd intake and trd exhaust on my 08 and that intake did the same thing. the exhaust which i installed later helped a little. the only i have on my 10 is a trd filter and trd exhaust. don't think its any better or worse now. the trd exhaust is the same size as stock.

10. Jan 19, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    2K6 Taco

2K6 Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport D-Cab LG Bed
    Yeah not to mention, i also have the TRD exhaust. Been seeing about 10.8 mpg recently. Maybe its just the cold weather?

11. Jan 19, 2011 at 5:19 PM
    Sprink21

Sprink21 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2010 dbl cab 4x4
    K&N Intake, AirAid Throttle Body Spacer, Banks CatBack Exhaust
    Thanks for the info guys. I think im just gonna suck it up and leave the intake and exhaust on. I'd hate to take it off since it was my christmas gift from my wife.

Products Discussed in

To Top