1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MT owners, would you still buy a Tacoma if the MT weren't available?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PA452, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Apr 26, 2010 at 8:46 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    My 08 is my first ever automatic. I still go for the clutch every once in a while! I'm glad I went with the auto, better mileage and it was time for a change. I can drive my son's car when I want to shift.

2. Apr 26, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    No, I would consider Tundra or another full size truck again.

I would like to see Toyota start selling DC LB with MT up here in Canada.

3. Apr 26, 2010 at 3:50 PM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    You're 24.Give it another 20 yrs.;)

4. Apr 26, 2010 at 4:14 PM
    Wolfman

Wolfman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paradise, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5
    I have no problem with the DBW throttle and my manual tranny.

As for the answer to your original question, I don't think it would have disqulified the truck, but It would have pushed it even further down the list of considerable vehicles. I did cross shop full size half ton trucks when I was shopping, and no manual can be had in any 1/2 ton truck, no matter how much you beg and plead.

5. Apr 26, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    moocantoesh

moocantoesh Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport Dbl Cab 6-spd man
    I would never buy an AT tacoma, just cause i lost manual way way too much

6. Apr 26, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    MGRS

MGRS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 Tundra OR
    My dad is 55 and drives a 77 IHC Scout with a 4 spd MT. He even has to lock in the hubs:p

Back to topic, I would own a used tacoma if new ones were not offered in MT. :D

Sadly, I think all-AT is the direction pickups are going. You'd have to get a Cummins diesel and a 6.10 1st gear ratio to get a MT in any consumer pickup larger than a Taco. Not that I would not like the ability to pull a house off its foundations, but I really don't need 600-700 ft lbs of torque.

As another interesting discussion point, I would argue that the prevalence of ATs in modern cars did much to exacerbate the "runaway toyota" phenomenon.:eek:

7. Apr 26, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    Mabe

Mabe Member

Member:
    No, I want a manual truck.

I am shopping trucks right now and am trying to decide between a used Cummins diesel and a new Tacoma.

8. Apr 26, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    I will never buy another std trans late model vehicle. Had a BMW 335 as a loaner and that baby shifted faster than I will ever. For off roading it's nice to not have to slip!

9. Apr 26, 2010 at 7:04 PM
    WTtoolman

WTtoolman Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab 4x4 TRD SWB
    5100s at 0, eibachs, 2" toytec AAL,, Moto Metal 951b, BFG A/T
    No manual transmissions means I wouldn't buy another tacoma. I considered the tundra momentarily, but that ended as soon as I found out I couldn't get a manual trans in the option package I wanted. Stick shift for life!!

10. Apr 27, 2010 at 4:05 AM
    Regaj

Regaj Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma v6 4x4 6-sp Manual
    I too rue the move away from manual transmissions. Heck, a good percentage of drivers these days have never even driven a stick.

I can understand it in a car, where the convenience of an AT is clear. But in a truck or other utility vehicle where you want maximum transmission flexibility, it just doesn't make sense to me.

But the writing is on the wall. When I was looking for my truck a week ago nearly all the inventory of local dealers were AT. Sticks were few and far between.

But to answer the OP... yeah, if MT weren't available I'd still spring for an AT truck. Shaking my head all the while.

11. Apr 27, 2010 at 6:13 AM
    3.4PDM

3.4PDM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well, Im 44 years old. Drove some automatics when I didn't have a choice ( first car for instance) Hated it then and hate it now. Its always manual for me unless I get something like a huge truck and am Towing a lot which I don't foresee anytime soon.

I simply cant stand the taking away of control from the DRIVER.. I will NOT have a car tell me what gear it wants to be in. Thats MY job!

And I have yet to find a automatic that can read my mind. It may shift faster than me but it will never EVER think faster or know what to do better than me.

12. Apr 27, 2010 at 6:43 AM
    NorthernTacoma

NorthernTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    10 DC TRD Off-Road 6 speed manual TRD exhaust
    TRD Exhaust, Rear leaf TSB, TRD CAI, Biceman 4x4 Illuminated switch mod
    I've driven nothing but manuals all of my life. Wouldn't have it any other way. I don't really have any issues with the RPMs staying high while shifting, at least not yet any way. I just release the gas all the way before I push the clutch and that seems to work for me. I owned a 2004 colorado with a 5-speed MT before and my Tacoma drives very similar. Having the option of the 6-speed MT was the final push over the edge to get the Tacoma versus a F-150. And also, Tacoma's are bad ass trucks.
    Interestingly enough, my brother-in-law wants me to buy a Jaguar XKR from him but I won't do it b/c you can't get it in a MT. Only an auto with paddle shifting. Not the same. Guess I'll find some other sports car to drive. Maybe an Aston Martin if I win the lottery.

13. Apr 27, 2010 at 6:47 AM
    Blackened Taco

Blackened Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2005 AC 4WD TRD Sport Tacoma Speedway Blue
    3 inch suspension lift, 16 inch TRD FJ Cruiser black alloys, 33 X 12.5/16 Swamper Trxus M/T, Line-Xed Toyota skid plate, TRD exhaust, TRD cold air intake, Full tint to match factory tint, In channel wind deflectors, Custom wired hidden XM, Black shorty antenna, Black background headlights, Sockmonkey TRD decals, Kenwood 5120 HU with navigation, Boston Acoustic SL60 front compnonent speakers, SL65 rear speakers, Grillcraft lower mesh grille, Black badging, AromorTech Offroad rear bumper and rear shackle flip kit Access tonnosprt cover, 12 volt power adapter wired in under the dash for standard plug in items. Recently added Devil Horn Toyota Logo, Thanks Andres.
    There is a learning curve for the throttle body after losing power. Just like you said, you have to drive it for a little bit for the vehicle to relearn the throttle curve.

14. Apr 27, 2010 at 7:03 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    Nope... No manual option = No purchase - period ...

15. Apr 27, 2010 at 7:06 AM
    Blackened Taco

Blackened Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2005 AC 4WD TRD Sport Tacoma Speedway Blue
    3 inch suspension lift, 16 inch TRD FJ Cruiser black alloys, 33 X 12.5/16 Swamper Trxus M/T, Line-Xed Toyota skid plate, TRD exhaust, TRD cold air intake, Full tint to match factory tint, In channel wind deflectors, Custom wired hidden XM, Black shorty antenna, Black background headlights, Sockmonkey TRD decals, Kenwood 5120 HU with navigation, Boston Acoustic SL60 front compnonent speakers, SL65 rear speakers, Grillcraft lower mesh grille, Black badging, AromorTech Offroad rear bumper and rear shackle flip kit Access tonnosprt cover, 12 volt power adapter wired in under the dash for standard plug in items. Recently added Devil Horn Toyota Logo, Thanks Andres.
    I will be 45 this year and a stick is all I drive. You drive a stick, you steer an automatic. Now that being said, if Toyota only offered an auto trans, I will still by a Toyota. I would sacrifice my Toyota just because an auto was the only thing available, just wouldn't be as happy.

16. Apr 27, 2010 at 1:40 PM
    MajKong

MajKong Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2008 4X4 Access Cab 4cyl
    Seatbelt Buzzer turned off, Bed Mat, Illuminated 4X4 switch, Intermittent Wipers, Fumoto drain valve, LCE header, fog lights
    I'm 41 and I wouldn't have bought my Tacoma if it didn't have a manual transmission. Besides, I love when people ask to borrow my truck and I say "Can you drive a stick?" Like I would let them even if they could drive a stick.

17. Apr 27, 2010 at 1:44 PM
    btkicker

btkicker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Reg Cab Manual
    That's the nice thing about having a manual. Most of my friends don't know how to drive a stick, and the ones that do, already have a truck :D

18. Apr 27, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    I know probably about one or two people altogether that do not know how to drive stick, everyone else does, but I still won't let anyone drive it. :D

19. Apr 27, 2010 at 2:27 PM
    ILove2Drive

ILove2Drive Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    WV
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4 5 Speed Manual
    Halo headlights, Black tail light covers, dual exhaust, 5100s front and rear, eibach coils, wheelers 1.5 AAL, window tint, bow arrow antenna, bull bar, painted grille emblem, debadged, raceline rims, a few decals, CB radio, alpine HU, husky floor liners, tool box, mesh grill...and more to come eventually
    I wish there would be a huge revival of manuals so that its at least an option on any vehicle you buy but I guess that'd be asking way too much :( hopefully they never get rid of it in the taco!

20. Apr 27, 2010 at 2:58 PM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.
    It's interesting how many people say that manuals were hard to find at dealerships. When I was shopping around all I could find were manuals. But no it wouldn't be a deal breaker either way, I'm not that hardcore.

Products Discussed in

To Top