1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MTB WHEELSET EXPERIENCES/RECOMMENDATIONS

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Airun, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Jan 11, 2011 at 5:39 PM
    Airun

Airun [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Hey all you TW mtb junkies out there. I'm looking to upgrade my Titus Motolite with a quality, reasonably lightweight wheelset. I love the I9 AM and everything I've read about them, but at a $1000 they're probably more than I'm wanting to drop. I've read good and bad about the Easton wheels, Havens and Havocs (same wt. as I9 at 1750g), but I'm just not sure. I've been avidly mtb'n for 5 years now and have had bikes for nearly 20 years so I have a little experience, unfortunately I live on the plains and have yo drive to get to some truly good techy singletrack. I'm 155 lbs and need to stick to 4" travel xc due to my location, but with a mx background I still crave rough, steep, airtime, gravity, adrenaline etc..so I have a 5.5" travel fork on my ML and would like to go to a 6" rig carbon eventually as an all around do anything rig and I want wheels to last another year to go on next frame.

Anyway...thoughts, experiences and good and bad ideas would be much appreciated.

2. Jan 11, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    Its_Taco_Time

Its_Taco_Time Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yorba Linda
    Vehicle:
    07 Tunda DC TRD Offroad
    CST spindles, Magnaflow, TRD intake
    Nothing beats handbuilt tubeless wheels for xc. They are a little heavier but more than compensate for that in stiffness and strength. If you don't want to handbuild, you can't go wrong with Havocs.

3. Jan 11, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    Airun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Thanks Chris. If going handbuilt, what rim, hubs and spokes would you look at?

4. Jan 11, 2011 at 6:51 PM
    Its_Taco_Time

Its_Taco_Time Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yorba Linda
    Vehicle:
    07 Tunda DC TRD Offroad
    CST spindles, Magnaflow, TRD intake
    No problem. Excelsports.com in CO has a great selection to build from. I am a fan of Shimano hubs, they are easy, dependable, spin easy, good pawl engagement, and above all inexpensive.

XTR is overkill IMO, they share all the same features as the XT only lighter. You want your weight reduction to come from rotational mass, not the hub. For the rims I would check out Mavic 819, really hard to break those. They look a little heavy, but keep in mind you aren't gonna have tubes in there so that takes off a couple hundred grams. Standard 14/15/14 spokes are good, DT comps I think they are called.

You should be able to snag a set for under $500 shipped, that is about what I paid for mine on my last mtb. Good luck whatever you decide

5. Jan 12, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    Airun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Anybody tried Easton Havens? Looks like a great product but several reviews indicate rear hub issues (develope looseness). Any Crank Bros wheel fans?

6. Feb 26, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    Airun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    After getting hosed/sniped on my dream wheelset on egay, I'm still on the lookout for a good quality wheelset. I'm willing to drop the cash on some Eastons or Mavics eventually but ran across these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...witem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2971wt_932

I'm very intrigued. Love the looks and sounds like great bang for the buck. mtbr.com reviews look as good if not better than Crossmax and Easton, etc, but I only put moderate cred into what reviewers say.

7. Feb 26, 2011 at 11:43 AM
    6spdtaco

6spdtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    East Wallingford, VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    Tom Woods driveshaft. TRD short throw shift kit. TRD exhaust. AFE Stage II intake. CBI Bumpers front and rear. Warn 8000i winch/ synthetic line. OME 3" lift w/ dakar springs and 886 coils. ATO Front skid. ARE MX cap. Trail Team FJ wheels. Cooper Discoverer ST 265/75-16 C tires. Diff breather relocation mod.
    might want to consider ease of repair. Not a lot of shops will stock spinergy spokes/parts, also not many shops have any straight pull spokes on hand either (shimano/easton). I would look for a wheel with a traditional/common j-bend spoke.

8. Feb 26, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    ThreeMan

ThreeMan Opinions Vary...

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    Eibach Springs with Billstien 5100's - Full Katzkin Leather - Back Flip Roll-X bed cover - Custom Projector/Dual Halo Headlights by ambiguous - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Rear AAL TSB - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Running Boards - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.
    I have Two sets of Havocs, in my opinin, Bomb proof. I am a heavier rider and it was tough to find a set that didn't flex much. These are nice and stiff and have kept their roundness very well. I run the front with the 20mm thru axel now, but have run the 9mm size as well. That being said, I keep to the XC stuff, no big drops or jumps. But I would use the Eastons without a second thought. I might even be able to part with a set.

9. Feb 26, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    Airun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    thanks guys. I've considered all these issues 3man I really appreciate hearing about your Easton experience. With the new Havocs being so lightweight that is really tempting. I too am a fan of the 20 TA and my Motolite is built to hopefully handle AM duties and lite FR. I'm a little shit so hopefully it'll hold up since Titus went tits up and parts (ie crappy carbon rear seat-stays) will be hard to source. For comparable quality at nearly 1/2 price I'm sure tempted by Spinergy. Either way I always carry spare spokes. They do sound like a pain to work on though.

just spent this a.m. stripping cassette, rotors, tires tube etc. down to weigh current no-name wtb setup. 2100g total. not to be a weight weenie, but 1600 to 1700 is looking tempting

10. Feb 26, 2011 at 1:55 PM
    08bluetacoma

08bluetacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Rad Red
    6 inch fabtech alpine stereo flowmaster exhaust
    Mavic Crossmax are by far the best wheels i have ever used/raced on

11. Feb 26, 2011 at 1:59 PM
    Airun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Thats my first choice Dave. I want the SX for less worry. Just not ready to drop $900.

12. Feb 26, 2011 at 2:02 PM
    Airun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    3 man, who's the Zakk Wylde lookn dude on your profile?

13. Feb 27, 2011 at 11:04 AM
    Airun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
  14. Feb 27, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    ThreeMan

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    Eibach Springs with Billstien 5100's - Full Katzkin Leather - Back Flip Roll-X bed cover - Custom Projector/Dual Halo Headlights by ambiguous - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Rear AAL TSB - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Running Boards - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.
    Airun, I am a little disappointed. That would be the late great Dimebag Darrel Abbott of Pantera.

[​IMG]

15. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:59 AM
    Airun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Sorry man. One of my faves. No better band on the planet to work out to. His loss was a sad day indeed. Best concert I've ever been to as well.

16. Feb 28, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    ThreeMan

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    Airun, I didn't mean to be crass. I agree with you on the shows, 3 Pantera and 1 Damageplan, I had tickets to a show after his murder.

On a lighter note, did you settle on a set of wheels?

17. Mar 1, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    ThreeMan

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    Airun, I was browsing Pricepoint.com, they have 2010 Easton Havocs for $370. Just a heads up.

18. Mar 1, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    Airun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    yeah I saw that, great deal. but I think they were rim brake only. also I need a 20mm TA up front.
    oh sorry that was the crossmax st I was referring to. 1930 is heavier than I was looking for, but tempting indeed.

19. Mar 1, 2011 at 6:26 PM
    ThreeMan

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    I didn't know they made rim brakes for them. I know for a fact you can run a 20mm, I am on two different bikes.

20. Mar 13, 2011 at 4:30 PM
    Airun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    :D Just ordered a rear Mavic Crossmax SX today. WOO HOO! Ordered a sampling of some UST tires as well. Any thoughts on tubeless and preferred tires yall? I figured I use a little Stan's goop in em to help protect from punctures. In a couple months I'll order a front Crossmax. F'n things are pricey. Any thoughts on Mavic's MP3 plan?

To Top