1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MTgirl's Yellowstone and Grand Teton travel thread

Discussion in 'Travel' started by MTgirl, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Jun 2, 2015 at 3:50 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl [OP] too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
  2. Jun 2, 2015 at 3:54 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    ian408 likes this.
  3. Jun 6, 2015 at 10:04 PM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    Can't wait - going to Yellowstone next week. No real hiking or adventurous stuff - got a 5 yo daughter with us and other family members. This is what I want to do with my Yellowstone vacation. I'll consider this trip a 'scouting mission' of sorts. Awesome informative thread.

ian408 likes this.
  4. Jun 7, 2015 at 8:31 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    Let me know if there's anything else you want to know beforehand.....sitting fireside in the park right now!:cool:

ian408 likes this.
  5. Jun 8, 2015 at 6:15 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Got a new one to add to my "top ten stupidest things people have done in the park"

witnessed some parents encouraging their 3 kids to run around the rim of one of the pools just off of the trail while they got it on video. one of the kids was pretty small, I'd say not quite 2, and was stumbling trying to keep up with the other two kids. so freaking lucky he didn't fall in!!! :facepalm: Myself and some other folks saw it at the same time and started screaming at them to get the kids back on the trail. No idea that they were in any danger....sure, no problem, just wait until the little kid falls into the water and gets boiled alive. THAT would be an awesome home movie to have!! All the lady could say was "we didn't know" Didn't know what? That boiling water is dangerous? That the pool was probably in the range of 150*F? That the ground around the pools is very unstable? That the boardwalks and trails were made for people to walk on to be safe. Why would the boardwalks be there if it was OK to just walk anywhere? I told them to go back to their car and pick up the map and newspaper they were given when they got there and read up on the rules and regulations and if they didn't understand something the rangers at old faithful would be more than happy to explain it to them. Some people shouldn't be allowed to reproduce....

6. Jun 8, 2015 at 6:32 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    the bison at old faithful now have bodyguards :rolleyes: since both of the attacks that have happened this year have been at old faithful and its the same small group of bison hanging out in the area they are keeping a close eye on them. there were two near the visitor center today and each one had a ranger assigned to stand guard and move people out of the way when it decided to roam around....wherever the bison goes they go. i asked one of them who he was really there to protect - the bison or the people

7. Jun 8, 2015 at 6:37 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I'm always amazed by the people that don't realize how fragile the areas around those pots really are. And I don't mean ecologically either...

8. Jun 8, 2015 at 6:40 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    yup. there are signs posted everywhere but people just don't pay any attention.

9. Jun 8, 2015 at 6:50 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    these people apparently don't watch the news....the bison body guard showed up right after i took this

_MG_0940.jpg

10. Jun 8, 2015 at 7:05 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well the kid falling in the pool would help fix this problem ;)

11. Jun 8, 2015 at 7:07 PM
    INBONESTRYKER

INBONESTRYKER Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    WY
    Vehicle:
    '96 access cab 3.4 5 spd manual 4X4
    I've done my share of stupid - none of which involved wild animals esp. the large and those with big teeth & claws.

It's really difficult to understand people and their relationship with animals.

12. Jun 8, 2015 at 7:15 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    not the kids fault that the parents are idiots. i can understand that a 2 year old wouldn't know better, no excuse for the parents though.

13. Jun 8, 2015 at 7:16 PM
    BradyT88

Member:
    I'm of the opinion that kids turn out a lot like their parents so in 16+ years he'll probably have his kids doing something stupid like that as well...

14. Jun 8, 2015 at 8:10 PM
    BradyT88

Member:
  15. Jun 8, 2015 at 9:02 PM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    ...idiots like the family that carved into the railing, or the one gal that drew a picture into the rock. The one that really annoyed me was the scout troop leader that pushed aside the rock formation at Goblin Valley State Park. I do like that the Bison fight back :D

16. Jun 8, 2015 at 9:13 PM
    bozotaco

bozotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma
    Great thread! Also my backyard. No sure if it's been said here but the firearms policy doesn't restrict protecting yourself. I carry bear spray and a 10mm glock. It would be a nightmare to have to put a bear down but I would rather have it than not. A lady killed an "aggressive" deer a few years ago and walked away without charges. Just saying that carrying a gun in the backcountry of Yellowstone isn't the worst idea.

17. Jun 9, 2015 at 9:00 AM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    possible - assuming the kids never realize that their parents are stupid and they shouldn't listen to anything they say or do :laugh:

:laugh:

that "artist" actually defaced several monuments. they've found some of them but they're sure there are more out there yet to be discovered.

i trust you'll behave yourself on the trip ;) and if you see anyone being stupid don't hesitate to call them out. if they're being destructive let the rangers know.

Direct from the park website:
    Hunting and discharge of firearms remain prohibited in Yellowstone National Park. Firearms should not be considered a wildlife protection strategy.

18. Jun 9, 2015 at 8:19 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    In general, carrying firearms in the NP is no bueno.

The first time the peeps at a NP said "when you see bears in camp; throw rocks" I thought the guy was shitting me. But, it worked...really. After I hit the first one in the ass, I wasn't so sure-but it ran.

19. Jun 9, 2015 at 8:35 PM
    Justified

Justified Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2023 MGM 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Concealed carry is permitted in national parks if it's permitted by the state and your licensed by or your license is recognized by said state since 2009. You can't conceal carry in federal buildings. I'm simplifying a complex issue so there's more to it.

HR 627 Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009

20. Jun 9, 2015 at 8:55 PM
    cosmicfires

cosmicfires Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Regular Cab SR5 4cyl 5speed 4x4
    Snugtop cab high canopy.
    The law does not appear to prohibit carry in federal buildings unless one has the intent to commit a crime. Note subsection (a) and subsection (d) paragraph (3). The CFR (federal admin code) goes beyond the power granted in the law. All the same I'd be discrete.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

18 U.S. Code § 930 - Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/930

To Top