1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MTgirl's Yellowstone and Grand Teton travel thread

Discussion in 'Travel' started by MTgirl, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Aug 14, 2016 at 5:37 PM
    Explor

Explor Don’t take the trip ... let the trip take you

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    TRD valve stem caps , A Chimney & Back up camera. , Cooper STMaxx 255/80/17, SCS Dark Bronze wheels, , bed matt, weathertech floor liners and bug deflector , flyzeyez dash and glove box light , Best Top supertop, Brute Force Sliders , Bumpers ,KC back up lights, vent shades, tinting, superwinch 9.5 , Factor 55 winch thimble , KC ditch lights , BAMF IFS skid plates , Tepui Ruggedized RTT , Awning , Bed light kit , Hood Struts , Camburg UCAs ,Bud built gas skid , all pro differential skid , cbi jerry can holder , 15lb CO2 Tank , URD short shift , Defined engineering shackle bolt crossmember, Clazzio seat covers , 4:56 Nitro gears , ARB rear locker, CMKA12 compressor. Super Bump Stops, Bushwacker Flares , CBI bed rack , king resi front 700# , OME Dakar, Bilstein 6100's 10" light bar diode dynamics , AV monster fogs , TC bed reinforcement brackets , TC spindle gussets w swaybar Yeasue Ham , cb
    image.jpg
    The Ravens at YSNP love to Explor Trasharoo's with nothing in them except un used trash bags and paper .... 1 month old .... Destroyed.
    While walking to my truck I see 2 Ravens sitting on my RTT ....
    I think , Hey ... What a great picture... while raising my camera I see what they have done and say pretty loudly .... WTF !
    They flew off before a picture was captured !
    Bastards

tacoguy67 likes this.
  2. Aug 14, 2016 at 5:41 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl [OP] too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    Surprised a ranger didnt stop you and ask about the trasharoo to begin with..big no no in bear country.
    And yes the ravens are a PITA. Mostly because some tourists feed them. They know how to open the storage pouches on motorcycles and snowmobiles too

3. Aug 14, 2016 at 5:51 PM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 Not A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    i still feel we need to do some sort of TW overland trip accross yellowstone sometime

MTgirl[OP] likes this.
  4. Aug 14, 2016 at 5:56 PM
    Wolftaco0503

Wolftaco0503 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White LONG BED TRD SPORT 4x4
    Maglite mod Bottle Opener in bed Weathertech Mats Front & Back
    Guided tour by Weesa herself?

MTgirl[OP] likes this.
  5. Aug 14, 2016 at 5:57 PM
    ramonortiz55

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    yup

6. Aug 14, 2016 at 5:58 PM
    ramonortiz55

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    make it a 3+ day trip

7. Aug 14, 2016 at 5:58 PM
    Wolftaco0503

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    Too all the semi known awesome spots

8. Aug 14, 2016 at 6:05 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    I have some mods to do first....
    [​IMG]

I have actually been putting off a backroads of yellowstone trip... someday. i had hoped to circumnavigate the park completely but there is one section in WY this is roadless...

I have a few secret stops up my sleeve :spy:

SOSHeloPilot and ian408 like this.
  9. Aug 14, 2016 at 6:07 PM
    Wolftaco0503

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    We knew you would.

10. Aug 14, 2016 at 6:17 PM
    Explor

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    TRD valve stem caps , A Chimney & Back up camera. , Cooper STMaxx 255/80/17, SCS Dark Bronze wheels, , bed matt, weathertech floor liners and bug deflector , flyzeyez dash and glove box light , Best Top supertop, Brute Force Sliders , Bumpers ,KC back up lights, vent shades, tinting, superwinch 9.5 , Factor 55 winch thimble , KC ditch lights , BAMF IFS skid plates , Tepui Ruggedized RTT , Awning , Bed light kit , Hood Struts , Camburg UCAs ,Bud built gas skid , all pro differential skid , cbi jerry can holder , 15lb CO2 Tank , URD short shift , Defined engineering shackle bolt crossmember, Clazzio seat covers , 4:56 Nitro gears , ARB rear locker, CMKA12 compressor. Super Bump Stops, Bushwacker Flares , CBI bed rack , king resi front 700# , OME Dakar, Bilstein 6100's 10" light bar diode dynamics , AV monster fogs , TC bed reinforcement brackets , TC spindle gussets w swaybar Yeasue Ham , cb
    image.jpg
    I talked to rangers twice before this incident, not one word.

YSNP was not a good experience, I was disappointed.
    People people people , out of control. I was there about 2 weeks after the calf being "Rescued" ... So sad .. I saw a woman in the middle of a patch of wildflowers that are endangered taking pictures ... Signs clearly stated No Foot traffic .... People pitching tents at 1:30 am next to me pounding hammers , lights everywhere , engines running , ..... Everyone was in a hurry to Not SEE the beauty ?
    I'm happy I have a vehicle that goes places the average person Can't go.
    Those were the Best parts of my trip.

11. Aug 14, 2016 at 6:19 PM
    Wolftaco0503

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    Common sense is uncommon these days

12. Aug 14, 2016 at 6:26 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    and a chuck box too!?!? bad, bad, bad...unless it was built out of steel plating like the bear boxes...
    The crowds are out of control. And budgets cuts mean fewer rangers to keep tabs on them. Not a good combo. I was in the park last weekend and I was about ready to murder twenty people. From just dumbass drivers to complete stupidity and ignorance when it comes to wildlife.... Sat in the middle of the road for 10 minutes because the lady in front of me was afraid she would scare the buffalo standing in the road. I had had enough and got out of my rig, walked up to hers, knocked on the window and asked if she planned on going anywhere anytime soon. There was one juvenile buffalo standing in front of her. I told her not to worry, they needed to learn sooner or later that standing on the road was a bad idea. If you go, they go. If you stop, they stop. She finally went. I dropped Runner into 1st gear, and pumped the gas going through the herd while slapping the side of the rig. They moved out of the way, no problem. Then there was the lady who stopped her car on a blind corner to get a picture of an eagle's nest. I told her to move her car, she insisted she just needed to get a pic first....no mind that she could have caused a 10 car pile up....

13. Aug 14, 2016 at 6:47 PM
    Explor

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    ^^^ Mirrored my experience !

I had one guy freaking out at 6 am after seeing that We were from the same state ? So What !
    I didn't chat , just got back in my truck and drove off.

Bears in Pa are much different than those out yonder , all animals acted different out west than their east coast relatives. We have no grizzlies.
    So my question is how to proceed safely in real bear country ?
    You mentioned my chuck box ... I keep my food in a fridge in the back seat ... I get into the back country where there are no steel boxes so how should I be bear aware and safe ?
    This is one thing that made me wary and uncomfortable.
    I did have bear spray , I hope I never need it.
    Some advice is really welcomed :confused:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  14. Aug 14, 2016 at 7:05 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I'm sorry for not being PC. But people are incredibly retarded at times. Especially on vacation.

15. Aug 14, 2016 at 7:06 PM
    Wolftaco0503

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    Yep, People loose their mind while on Vaca. It's like they leave them at home.

16. Aug 14, 2016 at 8:09 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    I try to be nice to most folks - hard to walk around with a giant camera lens and be inconspicuous.... They know I know the area just by the way I act. If they're genuinely interested and not exhibiting dumbass behavior I stop and visit with them. Met lots of cool people...met some folks from Italy last summer while watching my mooses in the Tetons. Scared the hell out of them when I started speaking in Italian :laugh: Pretty sure that was the first time they had heard anyone speak Italian since they landed in the US. And because of me they got to see their very first moose! They were thrilled. And there was a retired couple from Switzerland a few years ago. They asked me to take their picture, I asked where they were from (couldn't place the accent) and it turned into a 15 minute conversation about all of the cool things they needed to see. They had just flown in that morning....pretty sure they would have welcomed me along on their trip if I had offered to show them around! Then there's the "other crowd" who just drive me batty. From the pushy Asians (if you've been here you know I'm not being racist, just honest) and their tiny women with their freakin sun umbrellas that try tto stab your eyes out on every boardwalk....to the city dwelling dumbasses who can't tell the difference between a petting zoo and real wild animals... I'll stop now before I get to preachy on this topic....
    It is refreshing in a way that I'm not the only one annoyed by the crowds there...
    As far as bear country goes...first, animals in the park are kinda weird. They're wild but they don't act like real wild animals. They're sort of accustomed to the human presence. And this is a problem because normally wild animals would run away at the first hint of a human. Not so in the park. They just sit there and do nothing. Until someone tests that boundary and the animal freaks out and charges - like the people petting the buffalo earlier this year. You have to be extra cautious because they aren't as afraid of us as they should be. Bear country rules are no exception. Keep everything locked up. Anything food related, cooking related, toiletries, chapstick, water bottles, pet food, garbage....leave nothing out. Keep everything in the cab of the truck or in a bear box. If you can't do that you hang it from a tree - 10' vertical and 4' from any horizontal access. Whatever clothes you wear when you're cooking should also be locked up, never sleep in anything that could have a trace of a food smell. FWIW while Yeti coolers and the like purport to be a bear proof container the park service does not recognize them as such. I've even questioned the safety of keeping things in the vehicle when I'm in the RTT. I try to offload as much as I can into the bear boxes when available just because I'm that paranoid. You come into my camp at night and you'll find my firewood box and camp chair out. Nothing else.

surfnmoto2 and ian408 like this.
  17. Aug 14, 2016 at 9:00 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I remember being in Yose before they went BC over Bears. A bear can open a car like you peel back the lid on a can-I've seen that happen and it usually means the bears demise. Since then, the park has done a great job educating the public on how to deal with food/cooking/storage. If you're not in your campsite and your stuff is out, you're getting a ticket. If you're in camp, they will encourage you to clean up and you could get a ticket-Rangers walk the campgrounds every night and often during the day. As a visitor, you cannot miss the signs or the information (you get it at the entrance station) so you have no excuses when the rangers come around.

The other thing that made a huge difference was getting trash out of the park and the installation of bear proof boxes at most trail heads, campgrounds, and even some parking lots. All the trash cans/dumpsters are bear proof too. For the number of visitors, the park is pretty clean and you don't see as many bears in the valley.

Like you, I like to keep my crap in the truck. Never mind the animals (though they are a great reason to do so), it just makes life easier :)

18. Aug 14, 2016 at 9:08 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    our bears haven't figured out how to break into cars.... yet
    Everything is bearproof around Yelly too. And some things outside the park - like the garbage cans at the gas stations in West Yellowstone. When you stay at a campground you have to check in, like a hotel, and they recite the bear rules to you. I usually get an eyeroll when I interrupt and recite them verbatim then they shove the paperwork across the counter and tell me to enjoy my visit. :D

ImpulseRed008 and ian408[QUOTED] like this.
  19. Aug 15, 2016 at 8:43 AM
    Explor

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    image.jpg
    Thank you for sharing :)
    Pretty much a refresher of what I learned in the park. It is a real pain , especially with an access cab and open bed getting everything put away and secure. I thought that maybe you guys had a secret to making life easier. Here in Pa. one secret is to have a spray bottle of ammonia . We spray our garbage containers and surrounding areas with it. Black bears don't like the smell and leave it be. Black bears are easily scared away too .Im just paranoid about grizzlies, probably because I have No experience with them. Never seen one in the wild , but have seen a stuffed one at our local sport shop. At 10' tall standing on its hind legs it's very intimidating! Along with reading stories of the unfortunates being mauled .Maybe I'm just overthinking the whole thing ? I was ok until I read about water bottles , toothpaste , and clothes having to be locked up .... That's when I got paranoid , but then again that's a good thing , better safe than sorry.
    I also met people from all over the world there and all of them were fun to talk too. That guy from Pa though was the last straw for me as far as the Dumbness went. It's 6 am , I'm looking for wildlife and soaking up the beauty along the river , the mist rising from the water , and all of a sudden I hear him YELLING, " You got to be kidding me , No way , I can't believe it , Your from Pa " !! I just said Yep , and got back behind the driver seat. :mad: Had a great time on the trip and next year around September I'm planning on going back , but Montana this time will be the main goal. I have a friend who lives up the road from me that has a place outside Missoula in the national forest. I'll visit with him awhile then do more exploring on my own.
    Apologies for taking up space on your wonderful thread Lisa. Thanks for sharing your backyard on here ! ( you lucky dog )
    Wishing you Happy Trails and freedom from the Dumbness ! :D

image.jpg

MTgirl[OP] likes this.
  20. Aug 15, 2016 at 2:13 PM
    Wolftaco0503

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Chicago
    Vehicle: