1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MTgirl's Yellowstone and Grand Teton travel thread

Discussion in 'Travel' started by MTgirl, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Jun 13, 2022 at 4:41 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl [OP] too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    i know they were working to start replacing the one bridge near Tower junction so this is either going to help that project (no traffic, faster work) or hurt it as crews and funds will be routed elsewhere for the repair work needed.
    yep, lots of folks losing homes.
    feel bad for the visitors in the park being uprooted too. can't imagine the chaos down there today/tomorrow
    all good here. home is safe. any future camping trips will be planned accordingly. just in shock how quickly this all transpired today

PzTank[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jun 13, 2022 at 4:58 PM
    jwctaco

jwctaco Victim of a well spent youth

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW Michigan
    Vehicle:
    23’ T4R, Alice, the fishing car
    We are under a severe weather alert for SW Michigan, high winds, lightning, love watching storms from a safe distance. Hate all the damage that occurs. Feel really bad about all the damage being done out there.

3. Jun 13, 2022 at 5:00 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    I got nothing. :(

4. Jun 13, 2022 at 5:05 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    hope its not the same storm that we got - once it started it never stopped! :goingcrazy: be safe out there, you guys are a lot flatter than us so i know it won't take much for you all to see similar issues arise

me either. still in shock seeing some of the pics. i knew the river looked bad when i was driving home yesterday.
    if i had any amount of land i would be offering the displaced campers a place to park until they could find something more permanent. there's lots of good folks in MT, hope they'll do what they can to help everyone in need.

MQQSE[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jun 13, 2022 at 5:06 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    :pray:

6. Jun 13, 2022 at 5:17 PM
    jwctaco

jwctaco Victim of a well spent youth

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW Michigan
    Vehicle:
    23’ T4R, Alice, the fishing car
    Our storm has moved past us, no word on any damage, it’s moving at 50mph. You guys got clobbered, just sad.

MQQSE likes this.
  7. Jun 13, 2022 at 6:31 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    that project was completed this year. In fact for once all the roads in the north half were open.

They aren't anymore...https://fb.watch/dDDF_DuJzy/

The NE entrace road is gone in some sections. Literally.

Cooke City has 2 wash outs and in Lamar valley there is at least 1 major washout or 2.

I think it'll take them so long to start repairing all the roads from well...everywhere that stuff just isn't going to get done before snow flys. Down here alone we have multiple bridges gone or damaged and highways with holes in them.

8. Jun 14, 2022 at 7:20 AM
    PzTank

PzTank Stuck in the Well

Member:
    Above the Notches
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 AC SR5 4X4 4.0 Auto
    ‘07 OR leather shift knob
  9. Jun 14, 2022 at 7:27 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    PzTank[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jun 14, 2022 at 7:32 AM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    MQQSE, MY50cal and PzTank[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Jun 14, 2022 at 7:19 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
  12. Jun 16, 2022 at 6:20 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
  13. Jun 17, 2022 at 10:01 PM
    4-Day-Work-Week

4-Day-Work-Week Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 OR DCLB Army Green
    Yo! I found this thread via search bar and was wondering if anyone following could help me out.

My wife and I are headed to Bridger-Teton natl forest next Sunday (6/26) for 4 days. Is it a pain in the ass to find dispersed tent camping sites? If not, are there some good spots to search? I’m pouring over maps, but I feel like I’m overwhelming myself. Any help is appreciated!

14. Jun 18, 2022 at 6:19 AM
    PzTank

PzTank Stuck in the Well

Member:
    Above the Notches
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 AC SR5 4X4 4.0 Auto
    ‘07 OR leather shift knob
    I’m no expert but it seems people need reservations during high use times at many of the Parks out there.
    I’d start with their websites.

15. Jun 18, 2022 at 9:29 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Reservation only in Yellowstone. Yellowstone is closed still due to flooding and damages.

Is some dispersed camping around the Teton area. Get a usfs map and look around.

16. Jun 18, 2022 at 10:45 AM
    4-Day-Work-Week

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 OR DCLB Army Green
    Bridger-Teton NF is first come, first serve for dispersed as far as I know. Hoping to get some pointers on the sweet spots that RV’s can’t reach! Lots of BLM land around, too, but I’d like to be a bit closer.
    Definitely wrecking a bunch of websites, GAIA, Gazetteers, and park maps. I think I’ve grabbed too much research material! I need to distill some of this shit into digestible info.

17. Jun 19, 2022 at 3:38 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    with all of yellowstone still closed and only a partial opening pending for 6/22 i would imagine that the surrounding area is overwhelmed with the influx of campers who either were already in the area and had to move out of the park due to the flooding or who came up here thinking everything was magically going to reopen in a day and are now stuck waiting.
    there are several areas for dispersed camping but I would check and see if you can't get reservations at either one of the park run camps or a FS camp. there may be openings due to last minute cancelations.
    there has also been an increase in the number of bear/human conflicts in the last couple of years and they are cracking down on folks not minding the bear rules. be prepared to keep everything in the truck - food, coolers, pet food, trash, stove, toiletries, etc. some areas may even be closed to tenters.
    that said....your best bet for a full rundown would be to join either campendium.com or thedyrt.com for all the camping info. i'm on campendium and you dont get spammed with a bunch of junk email or anything. tons of info.
    top four places that have numerous spots but will be busy no matter what
    "toppings lake road" or forest service road 30310. theres at least 40 sites up there. used to be no man's land with a narrow muddy road. in preparation for the eclipse back in 2017 the forest service improved the road and labeled the campsites. still a nice place, just way busier than it used to be. i think they even installed some toilets up there this year.
    the turn off is straight across from the Cunningham Cabin historical site. campsites start at the tree line
    upload_2022-6-19_16-28-59.jpg
    another spot is shadow mountain
    upload_2022-6-19_16-34-23.jpg
    and another curtis canyon
    upload_2022-6-19_16-35-57.jpg
    and last granite creek.
    upload_2022-6-19_16-37-51.jpg

18. Jun 19, 2022 at 4:52 PM
    4-Day-Work-Week

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 OR DCLB Army Green
    This is all great stuff. Thanks a ton for the info! We are coming in early on a Sunday morning so I might just roll the dice on finding a dispersed spot. Haven’t ruled out the W side of the mountains in Idaho as well. Many thanks! It’s our first time out there so we are stoked as hell.

19. Jun 20, 2022 at 5:42 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    seeing this makes me sad....
    upload_2022-6-20_18-32-2.jpg
    with the flooding everyone was all excited about the town of Gardiner being cut off. Nope. No they weren't. Old Stage Road or Old Gardiner Road is a single lane dirt road that connects between the hotel in Mammoth and the park entrance station just outside of Gardiner. Its up in the hills, only open seasonally and was one way north bound traffic, perfectly safe from the flood waters. Its one of the last remaining segments of the original park road that led from the train station in Gardiner to the hotel and was the main route for many visitors for years. If you came to the park via train a stage coach would have picked you up and driven you the last few miles.
    i liked it as a shortcut to get to Gardiner and avoid all of the normal traffic on the roads. and the scenery was awesome, way better than the main road.
    now they're "improving" it so that traffic has a route to connect Mammoth and Gardiner for use by residents, supplies for the town and access for the crews and equipment for the road repairs in the park. i know it needs to happen and is the least destructive way to open a new or temporary route but I'll miss my secret little shortcut...
    old stage road.jpg

banditcamp and PzTank like this.
  20. Jun 28, 2022 at 3:04 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
To Top