1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mud Flaps

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TacomaGus, Aug 16, 2009.

?

What should i do with my mud flaps

Poll closed Sep 15, 2009.
  1. Keep them on

23 vote(s)
    43.4%
  2. Remove them since they look more bad ass

30 vote(s)
    56.6%
  1. Aug 16, 2009 at 9:24 PM
    TacomaGus

TacomaGus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    Just wondering what you guys think about whether or not i should leave my mud flaps on or remove them again. Like the look a lot more with them removed, but has anyone experience trouble with salt chipping paint or a lot of dinging noise in the winter??

2. Aug 17, 2009 at 5:43 AM
    Mootsman

Mootsman Active Member

Member:
    Gunnison, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma SR5
    3" Fabtech Lift
    They keep the lower part of the doors a lot cleaner, and help keep you from breaking someone else's windshield with a rock. My truck throws a lot of rocks every time I go from gravel to pavement. Seems like common sense and common courtesy to have them on to me.

3. Aug 17, 2009 at 5:43 AM
    tacoman101

tacoman101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma sr5 xtra cab 4wd
    blue led headlights, 285/75/16 grabber AT2's, custom pedals, custom shifter, flowmaster 40 series muffler, bedlinered fender flares, 2.5" lift kit via shackles and spacers, custom exhaust out the back, chrome exhaust tip, and Herculined bed, Weathertech floormats, Cabelas Trail Gear Camo Seat Covers ... Nice thing was I got the truck for $4000
    i would leave them on. i have slightly larger tires than stock, so they stick out a tad past the mudflap, and just from the little bit of uncovered tire space i see lots of chipping right infront of my back tires. i live in vt and do see many dirt roads, but i say leave the mudflaps on, just my 2 cents

4. Aug 17, 2009 at 5:54 AM
    smallcandle

smallcandle The clown has no penis...

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    South-central Kansas
    Vehicle:
    02 DC TRD SR5 4X4
    Deck plate mod, Maglite console mount, Husky Liners front and back, Black powder coated OEM rims, BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO's 265/75/16, Grillcraft MX black insert, Hella 500FF mounted behind grill
    I would also leave them on. Mine have not only protected my paint from countless chips but surely have also helped keep stones and debris from hitting other vehicles behind me. And unlike some mudguards on other vehicles, our's actually WORK.

5. Aug 17, 2009 at 7:01 AM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    very true thanks guys

6. Aug 18, 2009 at 8:05 AM
    HARDSHELLTACO

HARDSHELLTACO HoofHearted

Member:
    First Name:
    McLovin
    BOWLING GREEN, KY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    I vote off! Its like having a couch with plastic on it. It's okay for your grandma.

7. Aug 18, 2009 at 8:50 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Leave them on.

Some of the same schmucks who whine about others having no respect for others property when they recieve a door ding in a parking lot are the same ones without the mental capacity to understand that the same respect for others vehicles carries over to leaving the mudflaps on to help limit debris flung at others.

8. Aug 18, 2009 at 8:53 AM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    TAKE THEM OFF.

The mud flaps are the only thing I really do dislike about the tacomas they look horrible. I understand that most feel you owe it to the world to leave them on and not break someones windshield but atleast put some better looking flaps on your truck!

just my .02 worth!

9. Aug 18, 2009 at 9:24 AM
    HARDSHELLTACO

HARDSHELLTACO HoofHearted

Member:
    First Name:
    McLovin
    BOWLING GREEN, KY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    The first thing I did when I got my truck three years ago was remove the mudflaps. I live on a gravel road and not once have I flung anything at anyone. Yes I may have a few extra chips in my paint but guess what, It's a truck, it's not going into a museum someday. The fact I removed a piece of rubber from my truck has nothing to do with my mental capacity or my respect for other vehicles. It simply means i wanted to take them off and if i do cause damage to someone else's vehicle i'll fix it.

10. Aug 18, 2009 at 9:46 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Due to lift and tires I went half and half, fronts off, backs on.........:D

11. Aug 18, 2009 at 12:43 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    OFF i took those crappy ass things off before my truck rolled off the lot

12. Aug 18, 2009 at 12:43 PM
    drew02a

drew02a Rocking your mom's world Since 1997

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 Regular Cab 2.7L 4x4
    Talk about mud flaps?...

My gal's got 'em :D

13. Aug 18, 2009 at 12:45 PM
    drew02a

drew02a Rocking your mom's world Since 1997

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 Regular Cab 2.7L 4x4
    I removed the front ones because they rubbed my tires a bit.

That rears were removed while I was backing over a curb with a bed full of sand. One got pinned between the curb and the tire and that was that.

14. Aug 18, 2009 at 12:48 PM
    SLOH

SLOH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5, dc long bed speedway blue
    2.5 Icon c/o's and 3" AllPro rear suspension kit, 17" XD Series Addict w/ 285/70/R17 BFG KM2's, K&N 63 Series CAI, 12'' Rockford Fosgate sub and 500w amp, limo tint all around, cat back banks exhaust with no muffler or tip, shorty antenna, Kenwood DNX5120, blue dash light mod, "taco" 3rd brake light mod, blue dome-light mod, cb radio and 4' firestik antenna, blacked out hoodscoop(thanks randy), Total Chaos UCA's
    i took mine off because i liked the look of it when they're off BUT if you take them off, you're exhaust is going to get pounded with debri, i had a decent amount of dents put into my banks tip because of this before i finally just took it off. I've done a lot of off roading though without the flaps and to my suprise i don't have paint missing or scratches really underlying the bottom of my truck or doors, mudding you're truck will get more dirty though, hell it'll probably get dirty anyways, its mud.

As for throwing debri behind me and hitting other cars, i live in LA, so i don't see many dirt roads unless i go out to the desert so thats not really a problem and usually on the dirt no on is behind me to get hit with debri.

15. Aug 18, 2009 at 1:06 PM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    well i can't put my fronts on cuz the rubber of the flaps were like stripped do there isn't really a hole to put the screw through, and i don't care if i get a little mud on my door, cuz i don't want my flap to come off and thus my screws fly out and i or someone else gets a flat. But i did put the rears back on so i don't chip up my exhaust tip, bumper, paint, or break someones windshield haha

16. Aug 19, 2009 at 3:15 PM
    SLOH

SLOH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5, dc long bed speedway blue
    2.5 Icon c/o's and 3" AllPro rear suspension kit, 17" XD Series Addict w/ 285/70/R17 BFG KM2's, K&N 63 Series CAI, 12'' Rockford Fosgate sub and 500w amp, limo tint all around, cat back banks exhaust with no muffler or tip, shorty antenna, Kenwood DNX5120, blue dash light mod, "taco" 3rd brake light mod, blue dome-light mod, cb radio and 4' firestik antenna, blacked out hoodscoop(thanks randy), Total Chaos UCA's
    x100:)

17. Aug 20, 2009 at 3:15 PM
    crazyasu45

crazyasu45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB 4X4 TRD SPORT
    3" SUSPENSION LIFT
    x2 removed because of rubbage

18. Aug 28, 2009 at 10:41 PM
    Apple X C0re

Apple X C0re Atomic Punk

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Franklin, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    De-badged, MetalMiller grille emblem, brush guard, K&N Intake, Thrush tube, Black euro tail lights, Various scratches, Cobra 29LTD CB with custom echo board, 10" sony subwoofer with MTX amp, Black low-profile tool box, 5% tint all around.
    My front tire ripped my driver side mud flap off, so I took the passenger side front one off too.. :D

19. Aug 28, 2009 at 11:14 PM
    InfidelTaco

InfidelTaco No better friend,No worse enemy...

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    AFE, Fox, Built Rights, Moog, SpiderTrax, Icon progressive, Grabbers
    leave them on, just trim them!! i took mine off when i got her almost 5 yrs ago and noticed alot of chips by the lower parts of the doors. So i recently trimmed them about 3-4 inches and they dont look too bad. Plus they serve a purpose. just my .02.

G

20. Aug 30, 2009 at 1:11 PM
    cole47

cole47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Hickory NC
    Vehicle:
    Ray of Sunshine
    lift, wheels, tires
    take em off yeah you may have a few chips but it looks wayyy better...and for the car behind you.....they chose to follow you

To Top