1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Muffler where you dont loose back pressure?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by wolfgang123, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Oct 27, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    wolfgang123

wolfgang123 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
    So guys i have a 2.7l taco with a flow 40 on it with a tailpipe and im not happy surprise!! After the o2 sensor i went to 2.5inch pipe then i welded in the muffler like 36-42 inches from the sensor (basically where the stock muffler went) and then i have a shorter than stock but still a tail pipe. Its not any louder or "better" sounding than stock really. I am looking for something much louder and deeper. I also lost a lot of backpressure i am assuming causing me too loose ALOT of bottom end. So i am looking for a way to have sexy sound and more bottom end. i know there are alot of muffler threads out there but i feel like they are all related to sound. I would like to keep the 2.5inch piping for sound purpose but i am willing to dump it after the axle.

SO BOTTOM END AND DEEP LOUD SOUND...GO!!!

haha i was thinking about the magna flow but i need to know if i should get the tube styl of the oval style and shoulod i get a lounger or short muffler for that bottom end?

Thanks guys
    WOLFGANG

2. Oct 27, 2010 at 9:22 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Not sure what you expected to happen when you made all these changes but these engines need enough back pressure to be able to make low rpm torque or bottom as you call it.

Instead, the changes uou have made have reduced back pressure by enlarging the pipe from the cat back. You've further reduced back pressure by going to an aftermarket muffler like the flowmaster 40. And you are now surprised that your 4 banger has lost bottom end? The very bottom it gets from all the back pressure you've taken away. :facepalm:

To regain some of that lost back pressure you could put the stock muffler back in. Or reinstalling the stock diameter pipe from the cat to the flowmaster might help too.

Have you done anything to help the engine breath better? Deck plate mod?

3. Oct 27, 2010 at 9:26 PM
    kcbmx

kcbmx doing my thing.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marco
    Bakersfield CaLiFoRnIa
    Vehicle:
    2tr-fe 4wd
    spit cup, weathertech floor mats, riffle rack, and bilsteins.
    Dynomax superturbo ftw.

4. Oct 27, 2010 at 9:35 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Okay... You're not going to get nice smooth deep sound out of your 2.7, just not going to happen. But you can in fact make it sound aftermarket and not ricey. I have done a lot of exhaust homework on the v6 but I am not quite as familiar with the sound profile of your engine. Your low end isn't gonna be very good with a 4 cyl regardless, but opening up the piping is definitely not going to help your cause, as the engine barely gas enough compression in the exhaust to force the air out as is. I am going to take a guess and say that your best bets for mufflers are going to be the dynomax superturbo or the wicked flows muffler...

5. Oct 28, 2010 at 8:46 AM
    wolfgang123

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
    yes i will probably go back to 2.25 inch stock piping and i will probably just dump it after the axle for the next round but i still need some ideas. i have heard good things about the magnaflow and wicked flow, the super turbo is a little rice for me. but what about muffler size and shape? do those affect sound or performance?

6. Oct 28, 2010 at 8:47 AM
    wolfgang123

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
    and yes i do have the deckplate mod

7. Oct 28, 2010 at 10:24 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Outside shape of a muffler really doesn't affect anything. Most of the straight thru design mufflers have the same performance and sound aspects. Internals make the difference, flowmaster is chambered is why it blows for our trucks... Also, I don't know what you expect for the axle dump. You will get more clearance true, but the sound will resonate underneath the truck for sure and make all crazy kinds of sound in cab.

8. Oct 28, 2010 at 10:26 AM
    Space Wrangler

Space Wrangler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JCT
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    04 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab SAW 2.0's Alcan's Ion 171 wheels 15x8 (-27mm bs) 32" BFG AT's
    you can forget making that 2.7 sound "good". ...go back to stock and leave that other crap for the ricers.

Products Discussed in

To Top