1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My '09 TSB Fun Begins!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PropJet, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Jun 19, 2009 at 9:02 PM
    PropJet

PropJet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, Moto Metal 955's, GoodYear DuraTrac 265/75/16's, N-Fab Nerf Bar
    So what is everyone's opinion at this point... call Toyota and complain, or file a complaint with the bbb? What is likely to be the easiest way of getting this tsb accomplished?

2. Jun 19, 2009 at 9:04 PM
    M2M

M2M Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    bilstiens, sport 08 w/o scoop, debadged
    funny how last year at this time Toyota folded the cards and fixed all of our 08's - just keep at it and collect work orders from other 09 owners, have them in hand and you'll be all set
    that is how a lot of us "got it done" last year

3. Jun 19, 2009 at 9:13 PM
    Simon2150

Simon2150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 SR5
    call toyota and complain about the safety of your vehicle while under load. do it now!

4. Jun 20, 2009 at 7:48 AM
    PropJet

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, Moto Metal 955's, GoodYear DuraTrac 265/75/16's, N-Fab Nerf Bar
    Just so I have my facts straight and can make a compelling argument, can anyone confirm:
    a) whether or not there is in fact any difference in the frame from '08 to '09?
    b) is there any difference in the Canadian trucks to justify why they would get the 4-leaf straight from the factory?

5. Jun 20, 2009 at 10:22 AM
    Monarch

Monarch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 AC 4X4 2.7L manual SR5 barcelona red
    SkyJacker, OME 884, 33's no CMC, ECGS bushing, Bushwacker, Pop & Lock, Redline, Weathertech, Softopper
    b) My '09 truck was built in the USA. I live 15 minutes away from the Toyota plant in Cambridge, ON. but they only build cars there. We pay a lot more $ for our vehicles up here so maybe Toyota Canada recognizes this and spec'd the heavier springs. Or maybe they just don't want to have to deal with extra warranty issues and class action lawsuits.

monarchrifle.com/doug's2009tacoma.html

6. Jun 20, 2009 at 4:16 PM
    reg boulette

reg boulette Well-Known Member

Member:
    Can't answer part a) but I would think any changes would have been marketed to the skies as an improvement and with Toyota losing money this past economic quarter for the very first time, doubt if they would do anything to increase production costs at this point.

As for part b) my strong impression is that it is a marketing/customer profile issue. While our good US friends tend to replace vehicles every 2-3 years, Canadians tend to keep their cars/trucks longer. Until very recently with easier credit etc. for most Canadians keeping a vehicle going for 10 years or more is a source of pride. (as I write this, I'm just taking a break from applying truck box liner to rust vulnerable areas of my week old truck - started to rain) Most U.S. buyers, as mentioned elsewhere in the forum, rarely carry more that a couple of bags of manure or stuff from a building supply place. In Canada, trucks statistically are used for heavier tasks.

In addition, according to my contacts for Nissan and Toyota, dealers in Canada have to fight the perception that foreign trucks are not as rugged and long lasting as those produced by North American auto makers. Dealers in Canada generally have far fewer trucks on thier lots when compared to those in the US - at least as far as I have observed while visiting dealer internet sites south of the border. The higher retail costs of Toyota products in Canada is probably a reflection of our smaller population - there are more people living in California state than we have in our whole country!

It is too bad the dealers/Toyota won't act on your leaf spring TSB as the expectation for you was a vehicle that would serve your needs. Personally, I don't think that the BBB or outside agencies are going to do you much good. If possible, make a human contact (get some names) with someone at Toyota corporate at above the dealership level, explain you need more than a softy truck, and hope they will champion your cause. Support with video or any other documentation you can get together - previous spring part numbers etc.

Next time, come to Canada to buy your vehicle. We will accept your American dollars at par value !:)

The very first thing I checked upon seeing my new truck on the lot was the rear springs! (they were good) I was pissed off that they shipped it with electric windows...ordered a base model so as not to have all this electrical crap break down at large expense in the future!

7. Jun 20, 2009 at 7:09 PM
    PropJet

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    Well, I called Toyota and got a case number. I was told to expect to receive a call from the customer relations manager within 3 business days. Guess I'll wait to see what new excuse they'll come up with.

8. Jun 20, 2009 at 8:57 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Mine's an 09 and a frame wise, nothing has changed. I have the TSB parts in my truck.

9. Jun 21, 2009 at 7:12 AM
    M2M

M2M Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    bilstiens, sport 08 w/o scoop, debadged
    you will need to stay on the case, don't wait for them,

10. Jun 21, 2009 at 7:42 AM
    TacoSupreme

TacoSupreme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    007 DC Cuatro Por Cuatro
    Wow, I can't believe the BS you guys are going through to get the TSB done. I told the dealer(which is different from where I bought the truck) about the TSB and they ordered parts and gave me a rental ASAP. Just keep being persistent.

11. Jun 21, 2009 at 7:56 AM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    I had no problem with my 09 getting the TSB done. I didnt load it up with any weight at all and went in and handed them the TSB and told them i would like this done. Luckly the service advisor has an 09 tacoma and had this done to his so he said he would order the parts and call me when they get in. Simple as that.

12. Jun 21, 2009 at 7:59 AM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    Same issues here. I brought mine in last week with my boat. The Service Manager took one look and went in to order the parts. Friday evening, I get a call to bring it back in with my boat. Corporate wants to see pics of my truck with and without the boat. The rearend drops a full 3" with the boat on and it's no more than 3,000 lbs. fully loaded. If they give me crap, I'm going to start a letter writing campaign, NTSB, state attorney's general consumer fraud division, BBB, internet, newspapers, etc. Toyota is about to release the 6th version of this body style and has done ZERO to address this problem except to reissue the TSB. They advertise towing capacity of 6500 lbs. and 1200 lbs. in the bed which is at least misleading advertising if not outright fraud. I suggest all of you do the same until Toyota finally comes to the plate on this one.

Edit - and to paraphrase Rick Santilli....

Toyota! Are you listening!!!????

13. Jun 24, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    Micke.223

Micke.223 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE Pennsyvlania
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Venture Shield 3M Clear Bra, 40% Front Tint, EGR Slimline In-Channel Visors, Weahther Tech Mats, Okole Seat Covers, Stant 10504 Locking Fuel Cap, Dyno Lock, G4 Elite Fold-a-Cover
    Funny, there's another guys who's dealership is saying the opposite; that the TSB is only for 4x4's and not the PreRunner 4x2's. Dealerships can be such scumbags.

14. Jun 24, 2009 at 8:47 AM
    Micke.223

Member:
    SE Pennsyvlania
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Venture Shield 3M Clear Bra, 40% Front Tint, EGR Slimline In-Channel Visors, Weahther Tech Mats, Okole Seat Covers, Stant 10504 Locking Fuel Cap, Dyno Lock, G4 Elite Fold-a-Cover
    Like TacoSupreme, the first dealership (one I bought from) gave me a bit of a hassle, so I looked elsewhere. 2 other dealerships didn't want to bother and gave me varied BS answers. The 4th one I went to (60 miles away) gave me NO hassles. Ordered the parts and had me scheduled for this Friday. You just gotta keep plugging away.

15. Jun 24, 2009 at 8:58 AM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    They tried to tell me that it applied only to non-TRD trucks and of course mine is a TRD. That's why it is a good idea to have the TSB in your hands. Finally had mine installed yesterday. Well worth the hassle IMO.

16. Jul 9, 2009 at 2:06 PM
    PropJet

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    Figured it's been a while since I've updated, so here goes...

I got a call from the service department manager, where I explained the issue to him. Like everyone else, he claimed he knew of no such issue, but said that if I'm having problems, it needs to be fixed. He said he'd call the regional manager.

Fast forward a week, and he tells me that the regional manager said putting on the 4-leaf springs hasn't improved anyones weak suspension issues, but that he'd be willing to go ahead and put them on my truck. He said he'd go ahead and order the springs. Victory! Or so I thought. A couple days later I called to see if they had come in yet, and was told by the parts department that the springs are on national backorder.

Does anyone know if this is true, or am I being jerked around even further?

17. Jul 9, 2009 at 2:10 PM
    Micke.223

Member:
    SE Pennsyvlania
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    sorry...but you're being jerked around. I had mine (at both places...long story) come in within 2-day of ordering. The only reason why I'm just getting it done tomorrow is because one of the springs that came was the old part number. The additional delay has been a simple scheduling issue.

BTW, my service manager (New Holland) wanted me to be fore warned that my ride was going to be "stiffer" due to the additional spring....that my ride would no longer be as "nice" as it currently is without the load.

18. Jul 9, 2009 at 2:13 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    +1....Sounds like you are getting screwed around with. It took about 3 days to get the springs for my truck...and it was just a few months ago.

19. Jul 9, 2009 at 2:15 PM
    coma09

coma09 Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    My Canadian Tacoma has a 3 leaf spring (2009). Access cab, 2wd.

20. Jul 9, 2009 at 2:15 PM
    PropJet

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    Do you recall what date your springs were ordered? Mine were supposedly ordered 7/01, and I was told of the backorder on 7/03.

Just trying to decide if I'm being told the truth and to be patient, or if I'm being lied to.

Products Discussed in

To Top