1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My 1995 Tacoma keeps dying.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Tonyd56, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Jul 22, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    Tonyd56

Tonyd56 [OP] New Member

Member:
    East Ohio
    Vehicle:
    95 Taco sr5
    Front end level
    Hello all, this is my first post here at Tacoma world. My 1995 Tacoma w/ the 2.7 litre has given me problems for about a year now. At first, it would die while driving, just cut right out. I'd pull over, jiggle the fuel tank and wiring, and it would typically start back up. I took it to an old guy who is handy with imports, and he cleaned out the fuel tank. It ran fine until about three weeks ago when I was leaving work. It started up, ran for a minute or so at idle, then died. I jiggled the crap out of the tank and harness, but after a half hour or so of turning over the starter, I had it towed. Yesterday, the guy working on it called and said it was ready. I went over and paid him for the new fuel pump he installed, got in, and she started right up. The only problem is that i backed the truck up thirty feet, and when I went to pull out of his lot, it died. I tried to start it several times, but to no avail. So while the truck is still at the shop, I don't know if this guy will figure it out or not. Whatever advice you guys can give will be helpful, because right now I am totally clueless. :confused:

2. Jul 22, 2011 at 9:01 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    hmm.... thats weird! is it dieng like a fuel issue? like bogging down till it dies or just straight shuts off.

3. Jul 22, 2011 at 9:06 AM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    Hmmm sounds like a fuel or air issue. Does it sound like the engine is choking or sputtering? If the tank is clean and the fuel pump was replaced maybe some of the old sediments are clogging the fuel filter or lines?
    Get the air intake looked at too.

4. Jul 22, 2011 at 1:38 PM
    xfrankx

xfrankx Well-Known Member

Member:
    if you are moving the tank around and its starting again my guess would be the fuel pump or the wiring to it. i had a similar problem in my 98 s10 and the fuel pump was going bad. normally everytime i had a fuel pump problem they just stopped working all together but i would check the wiring to the pump itself just to rule it out

5. Jul 22, 2011 at 5:18 PM
    Tonyd56

Tonyd56 [OP] New Member

Member:
    East Ohio
    Vehicle:
    95 Taco sr5
    Front end level
    When it died about three weeks ago, it died exactly like I turned the truck off with the key. When I was pulling out of his shop though, I put it into first and it just plain cut out.

6. Jul 22, 2011 at 6:03 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    Check the fuel filter..my old 89 4runner had that problem..I changed the fuel filter, and ran like new.

7. Jul 23, 2011 at 3:21 PM
    Buggys3sgte

Buggys3sgte Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    !@$*
    Psycho state of AZ
    Vehicle:
    97 BUDGET Taco
    Newly rearranged front end, sick Hurst shifter yo gives it lightning fast shifts, thats it more to come.
    Check your crankshaft position sensor, IIRC it should ohm out between 2065-3225 ohms. Good luck

To Top