1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My 1998 Toyota Corolla

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by tacobell007, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Airaid Short Ram Intake, 285x75R16 Mickey Thompson MTZs, 16" Konig Countersteer rims, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    I miss my old 91.

Had over 187K miles on it.

Only put $400 of non scheduled repairs/maintenance into it. Starter ate itself and had to replace the muffler and Radiator.

2. tacobell007

tacobell007 [OP] Does that have the v6?

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Westfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, Add-a-leaf, Bilstien 5100's, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Kenwood 350 watt amp, stickers, Better Built toolbox, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 33x12.5x17 General Grabber AT2, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, BHLM, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro Dry-S drop in filter, diff breather mod
    Sounds like it was very reliable to you. I have about $500 in non scheduled repairs on the car (rust, clutch, exhaust).

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    You know how hard it is to find this type of Corolla with a manual in my area? People hang onto these forever.

4. tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Westfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, Add-a-leaf, Bilstien 5100's, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Kenwood 350 watt amp, stickers, Better Built toolbox, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 33x12.5x17 General Grabber AT2, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, BHLM, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro Dry-S drop in filter, diff breather mod
    I was looking for a SUV or pick up. I really wanted a manual though. Found this one and my dad looked at it and test drove it, then later the same day I went and looked at it. I see them in groups on craigslist one week and the next I do not see any. I think I got a very good deal on my car.

5. whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    I'm looking to buy a gas saver car and this was one of my choices mainly because I can't really do anything to it and they look good. I haven't checked craigslist but on autotrader you can find them in auto all day.

6. tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Westfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Have you looked at a celica? I'm not sure which model it is but one has the corolla engine in it and the other one or two has the camry engine in it. I think it looks pretty good for the most part. Especially with the gas prices. I'm not sure what they are over there, but here it was $3.49 a gallon this morning. I only do city driving, since there is no need to go on the highway for me, and I average around 23-24 mpg city.

7. himmie

himmie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Visit the Build.
    The fifth generation Celica (1990-1993) and sixth generation Celica (1994-1999) are both nice, and good on gas. They're not too bad looking either. I have had two fifth generations, I love them.

8. whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah but if I go with a sports car I don't want a front drive.

9. himmie

himmie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Visit the Build.
    So... MR2? :)

10. whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    i was thinking about that but they are too old. I'm thinking Miata.

11. tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Westfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    I was looking at late fifth gen and all sixth gen celicas. I love the way they look also. My friend has an '01 I believe, in a 5 speed with a short throw, rims and tires, and a sound system.

I would not really consider them a "sports car," they are a sporty looking car with good suspension in my opinion. They are all 4 cylinders and my friend's '01 gets about 21 mpg city in a 5 speed. Has the camry 2.2L

12. himmie

himmie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Visit the Build.
    The MR2 has three generations...running from 1985-2005. How is that too old? Ha.

13. achirdo

achirdo First Class White Trash

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    My dad has a 98 corolla also. He currently had 272000 miles on it. Burns a little oil but thats about it. Its a pos but its reliable

14. himmie

himmie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Visit the Build.
    Yeah, I would not consider the Celica a sports car. It's just a sporty little car. Mine were both the fifth generation ST184 with the 5SFE (the 2.2L 4 cylinder.) One a 1992 and one a 1993.

15. tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Westfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Haha, my car does not burn anything. It has dents and is not pretty though, needs a good waxing too. As long as mine runs and passes inspection I will be driving it.

16. jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    No, I drive a lot. 180k in 6 years is a lot. You drive all the fucking time. You're probably driving *right now*.

17. tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Westfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    how much you looking for, for the 1992 :cool:

Just kidding, I don't have money for another car.

18. ontarioyota

ontarioyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    01 reg cab 4x4
    Blacked out badges-rims OME lift with 881's & dakar pacs with D6XL AAL, summer tires=BFG 31x10.5x15 on 93 4runner rims,winter= Pirelli Scorpion Ice&Snow on stock steelies,Flowmaster exhaust, deck plate mod
    Years ago I bought an 89 corolla wagon(my 1st YOTA) with 300,000 kms on it...drove it to 550,000 kms...no engine issues at all the body just fell apart!!! 5speed manual...very usefull and great on gas

This car sold me on Toyota for ever.

My sister just gave me her 92 Paseo with only 160,000 km for my soon to be driving Daughter...sis bought it new!!! Cute little car with a sunroof...my son and I are doing some repairs on it now. Basically it is a sportier version of the Tercel.

Love YOTAS!!!

19. tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Westfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    The Paseos are pretty sweet looking. I have a 93 tercel that we are gonna fix up in a 5 speed.

20. himmie

himmie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Visit the Build.
    Haha. I'm not driving right now, I do drive everyday though. You should see my 365,000 mile 2001 Sienna... :rolleyes:

Ha, if you want her, she's in Wisconsin! :)

To Top