1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My $2,500 First Gen (2002)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mlhansen, Sep 14, 2018 at 11:37 AM.

1. Sep 14, 2018 at 11:37 AM
    mlhansen

mlhansen [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    California, MD
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma
    In January my sister in laws boyfriend offered to sell me his truck. I had seen it when he got it and told him to call me if he ever decided to sell. When I bought it it had 162,000 miles on it (roughly). 2.7, 5 speed, 4 wheel drive with manual windows and door locks. I like everything about it. The paint is crap, the front bumper is dented, the rear bumper is rusty but the frame and drivetrain are solid. What’s not to like? Pictures of it when I went to test drive:

So I had to bring it home.

I went to work. A few things weren’t going to pass inspection. I knew it. So I started by swapping the wheels from my 4Runner onto the truck. For what it’s worth the ground was frozen solid so don’t hammer me too bad for the floor jack.

When I was taking the wheels off the truck a lug snapped as soon as I started to loosen it. This pissed me off but I called a buddy and used his garage to swap a new stud in. Then it snowed so I had to go out and play.

At this point I’m really liking how the wheels look on this truck so I started looking for a cheap set. I’d have just bought new wheels for the 4Runner but they have TPMS in them. Ended up finding some about an hour away and took the 4Runner to go get them:

The wheels are kinda crappy but they were stupidly cheap. So I found a set of good tires someone took off a JK and I was rolling again.

My temp tag was running out so I had to fix a few things and get it inspected. The parking brake was sticky and the light would stay on. Easily fixed by lubing all the pivot points. The clutch pedal sensor was shot and you had to use the cancel button to start it. Replaced that too. The whole time I had been driving it I had noticed the idle was very high. 1200 RPM high. I had chalked it up to the extreme cold we had in January. When it kept up I replaced the coolant temp sensor and cleaned the IAC valve. Problem solved.

After it passed inspection and I had permanent tags my helper and I started getting into some routine maintenance that definitely had been lacking. Cleaned the K&N intake, replaced all the fluids in the diffs, transmission and transfer case. The clutch was extremely heavy when I got it. I honestly thought I was going to need a new clutch and/or master/slave. Turns out the fluid was BLACK, and a simple bleed and replacing all of the fluid did the trick. Best helper ever:

Got my driveway widened because I have a problem and too many cars.

At the end of March it snowed. I thought this was neat:

Needed an oil change and I was running daddy daycare so the girl and I hung out in the garage. By that I mean she sat in the truck watching a movie and playing with the shifter while I changed the oil.

My neighbor had the hookup on a set of BFG M/Ts off of a Jeep Rubicon. Too good of a deal. Swapped the tires on and took this shot while it was on the lift as inspiration.

Weather heated up and the stock shift knob was getting sticky. I couldn’t take it. Went shopping on eBay. Really loving this chunk of aluminum.

And here she sits today:
    I have some small plans.
    -I need to troubleshoot the water leak in the cab. I think it’s the issue with the firewall seam because there’s nothing leaking in the heater core.
    -It needs a new stereo. The Kenwood in it sucks.
    -I’m really considering having it painted OD Green. Repaint the flares black
    -I need some floor mats since I just pulled seats and scrubbed the carpet
    -replacement black bumpers. The front is bent and rear is rusting out.
    -new shocks and struts. Probably go with the same bilstein 5100s as the 4Runner
    -might get around to fixing the P0420 code it throws. Might just keep resetting it.

That’s my truck. Originally I thought I might fix it up a bit and flip it but I’m pretty sure I’m going to keep it for the long term now. Just too easy to work on and as simple as it gets.

2. Sep 14, 2018 at 11:46 AM
    PennSilverTaco

PennSilverTaco I have Ass Burgers...

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 RC auto 5-lug
    IT AIN'T FOR SALE... QUIT ASKIN'!
    Vehicle inspection suck...

Nice truck though! Welcome to TW!

3. Sep 14, 2018 at 11:52 AM
    BartMaster1234

BartMaster1234 A Whole New Meaning to Taco Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Francisco, California
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma PreRunner 4WD / '98 Tacoma SR5 5-Lug
    2WD to 4WD Swap Power Door Retrofit '17 TRD OR Wheels
    You got one hell of a deal on that truck. How’s the frames

PennSilverTaco likes this.
  4. Sep 14, 2018 at 11:59 AM
    mlhansen

mlhansen [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    California, MD
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma
    He was going to trade it in for $1500 then gave me a call. I actually low ball offered $3000 but he said “It needs new tires so let’s say $2500”

Frame is perfect. Some slight surface rust. I scuffed it and painted every bit of it I could get to. I sanded and painted the skid plates too.

BartMaster1234 likes this.
  5. Sep 14, 2018 at 12:00 PM
    scottalot

scottalot Custom Title:

Member:
    First Name:
    Stockalot
    The Right Coast
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4 MGM Love Machine
    Bone stock like Chicken in the Crock Pot .Dakkars,305/70/16 MT's, Extended length Fox Coilovers, Fox RR rear Shocks, Total Chaos UCA's, Dakar Leaf packs, LED Map and Dome, Breather relocate, Slimer from Ghost-busters starut up screen, Vent Visors, LED Pod's on Ditch Brackets soon, Level 8 Strike 6 Wheels, New MT Tars - Fierce Attitude, SOS front bumper -steel, SOS bed rack, LED white marker lights, LED reverse, TRD exhaust, Wheelers Super Bumps up front, SOS sliders bolt on with fill plates, Csjummper2003 White/Amber DTRL and white parking led bulbs, RTT rack basket Sold 2013, sold 2014 Tacoma. All listed stuff was on the '14 Bed Mat, WeatherTech Rain Guards, Ultra Gauge, TW Sticker amongst others, Useless Free OEM Bug Deflector, Flyzeye, OME Kit with 885's and Dakar and Nitro Shocks front and Rear . Tailgate mod, SOS Concepts 1/4" Skid Plate, White LED's interior Dome and Maps, Goodyear Wrangler MTR Kevlar 275/70/17, Wet Okole Seat Covers - full piping in Charcoal Grey, Lamin-X Green Fog light film, 17"x8 -10 offset Level 8 MK6 wheels in Gun Metal Finish, SOS Concepts Sliders W/ Kickout 12/21/14, Stubby antenna, LED reverse lights, lift removed 2/20/15 - making changes and trying to make up my mind
    Man you stole that truck :drool:

6. Sep 14, 2018 at 12:01 PM
    68dave

68dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Baltimore, Md.
    Vehicle:
    $500.00 project 04 TRD 4x4
    Toytec Boss kit & OME leafs, tundra brakes
    Good deal! I bought two 2004 TRD's, one for $500 with a seized 3.4 off of a customer at my work and the other one I bought off a local TW member for $600 with a rusted spot on the pass side framerail & high miles. Mobtown Offroad repaired the frame for me. I installed a used 69k mile 2003 3.4 in my other one. Then of course a suspension lift, tundra brakes, new wheels & tires... These trucks can be fun & cheap to build if you buy'em at a good price.

20180329_175526.jpg

tony2018 likes this.
  7. Sep 14, 2018 at 12:03 PM
    mlhansen

mlhansen [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    California, MD
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma
    That’s the kind of deal I need. My brother is a Toyota tech. Tried to offer me a 3.4 setup to swap in. I thought about it.

68dave likes this.
  8. Sep 14, 2018 at 12:08 PM
    68dave

68dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Baltimore, Md.
    Vehicle:
    $500.00 project 04 TRD 4x4
    Toytec Boss kit & OME leafs, tundra brakes
    The one I bought for $500 with the seized motor only had 147k on it. The po neglected a oil leak that turned out to just be a loose oil filter. He wasn't interested in repairing the truck and told my coworker that he will call Crazy Rays junkyard to pick it up. Of course I couldn't let that happen. Frame is still black and rock solid on that one.

Hamer95USA and mlhansen [OP] like this.
  9. Sep 14, 2018 at 12:11 PM
    tony2018

tony2018 Well-Known Member

Member:
  10. Sep 14, 2018 at 12:13 PM
    cosmicfires

cosmicfires Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Regular Cab SR5 4cyl 5speed 4x4
    Snugtop cab high canopy.
    Nice truck and a great deal!

Hamer95USA and mlhansen [OP] like this.
  11. Sep 14, 2018 at 12:17 PM
    mlhansen

mlhansen [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    California, MD
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma
    Some people just don’t know what they have. I miss living close to Crazy Rays though. I used to pay the $1 just to wander around and see if there was anything I wanted. That was well before wife and kids but I haven’t needed to buy a fuse since!

12. Sep 14, 2018 at 12:18 PM
    mlhansen

mlhansen [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    California, MD
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma

Products Discussed in

To Top