1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My 2008 Silver/Black Yota Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by newcombmeister, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Jul 19, 2012 at 5:39 PM
    newcombmeister

newcombmeister [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Greenville
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    CB Radio w/ antenna, Toolbox, Powder Coated Stock Rims, Black Bull Bar, Custom mudflaps, custom tail light cover, Blacked Out Emblems, Custom Grill w/ LED backlit Toyota Emblem, Decals on Side and Rear Windows.
    Hi guys, so this is the beginning of a build that I will be starting on my 2008 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab. I bought this truck back in May and have been slowly upgrading/customizing/modding it ever since. Got a lot of work to do but so far so good.

Here are some general specs on my Tacoma:
    Engine liters:4.0
    Fuel economy city:17mpg
    Sequential multi-point fuel injection
    Number of valves:24
    Drive type:rear-wheel
    Fuel tank capacity:21.1gal.
    Fuel economy highway:21mpg
    Torque:266 lb.-ft. @ 4,000RPM
    Transmission:5 speed automatic
    Limited slip differential
    Cylinder configuration:V-6
    Horsepower:236hp @ 5,200RPM
    Variable valve control

Attached you will find some of the first pics I took of the truck after I bought it. It is in very nice shape with low miles and I got it for a steal which is even better! Stay tuned for updates and upgrades! I will be posting soon as I have already done some things and Im actually kind of late getting this build started in here so be back in a sec =)

IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg

2. Jul 19, 2012 at 5:40 PM
    newcombmeister

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Greenville
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    CB Radio w/ antenna, Toolbox, Powder Coated Stock Rims, Black Bull Bar, Custom mudflaps, custom tail light cover, Blacked Out Emblems, Custom Grill w/ LED backlit Toyota Emblem, Decals on Side and Rear Windows.
    Sup guys,

So slightly after I purchased the YOTA, I went and bought a toolbox for the truck bed and a CB radio. They both installed easily and look very nice. I drilled a hole in the back of one of the storage compartments under the CD player and the CB fits right in almost like it was meant to be there lol. Ive updated the decals and added a few as well. I dont have the pics of the CB install but I will post a pic to this post of it in the truck so you can see its location and look. Next I plan on power coating/blacking out the stock rims, and also repainting all the trim around the doors along with the door handles and side view mirrors.

3. Jul 19, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    newcombmeister

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Greenville
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    Hello again,

So about a month after the toolbox and CB install, I decided to black out my stock rims instead of buying some expensive ones to save money. Also the trim around the doors and the side view mirrors were fading so I repainted those as well. Doing all this took me from about 11 pm to 6:30 am lol. But I got it done.

For the rims I took all four off the truck and did them all at the same time. First I washed the rims and tires off with soap and water. Then used blue painters tape along with some newspaper to tape off tires. Then I proceeded to sand them down with a very fine 180 grit sandpaper to remove paint and give a fresh surface for the new paint. After sanding I blew off the excess and wiped them down with 70% rubbing alcohol and let them dry. Then I used rustoleum automobile primer (black kind not gray) and used just the primer as my paint. I wanted a flat black and a good friend of mine who does tons of mods to his jeep informed me its the flatest black around and wont fade. SO....I painted and painted, put about 3 to 4 coats on each rim, letting them dry in between. After that I let them dry over night and began to tape off all the windows and side panelling on my truck so I could paint the trim.

So after doing all this taping my thumbs and hands actually hurt like I had pulled a muscle so dont go to fast like I did lol. So for the trim I used Krylon Fusion since the trim is more plastic than metal (use rustoleum on metal) and it turned out awesome. It layers on good and is smooth to the touch after drying. I wound up painting all the trim along with the side view mirrors.

I went on to also black out my exhaust pipe and used Rustoleum black enamel for high heat. Worked like a charm and looks great as well.

After all that I detailed and washed the entire truck and was fearing that the paint might do something weird in the process but all held up fine and now it looks better than ever! Couldnt be more happy with the turn out.

Got a great deal on a black carbon steel bull bar on amazon so its in the mail along with some TRD decals. Should be here soon, and I will have picks up of the install and new decals.

After that I have a few custom mods that I will be doing on the weekend of July 28th and will post those soon. Feel free to contact me or ask questions in the post, Ill do what I can to help! Thanks

IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg

4. Jul 19, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    brandonn

brandonn pretend this is a clever saying

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Houston, TX
    Those wheels look nice! Sweet truck!

5. Jul 19, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    newcombmeister

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Greenville
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    So I just found out today that a buddy may be helping me to install 2 Rockford 12's along with a 1000W amp and a capacitor. SHould be a nice addition.

6. Jul 19, 2012 at 7:41 PM
    newcombmeister

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Greenville
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    Thanks man

7. Jul 24, 2012 at 10:44 AM
    newcombmeister

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Greenville
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    So a buddy of mine tossed me some of his audio equipment from his jeep after he upgraded so this was a free install =) which made it that much sweeter. I already had an after market CD player installed so the only thing we had to do was run the power and remote wires along with the RCA cables. After that we had to do some slight modding behind my rear seats but not to much. Everything fit perfectly and nothing scrubbed or touched the back of the seats. Had 2 rockford 12's but after hooking up one I found that it was plenty of bass for the small cab so I just sold the other one to make money for other mods to the truck. I have some pics below of the install and the final product let me know what you think but it sounds amazing and I saved alot by doing it all myself. If you have any questions just post below! Thanks again

IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0241.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg

8. Jul 24, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    newcombmeister

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Greenville
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    So after installing the 12'' sub and amp we took off the grill and mud flaps for painting. This didnt take very long but I used 2 cans of black paint getting it all done due to the amount of coats I put on to make sure the chrome wouldnt show through. After blacking out the grill and mud flaps I made a stencil to use to paint "YOTA" on my mud flaps in red. This was some what time consuming but not a big hassle and I think it turned out quite well. Pics below and any questions feel free to ask.

IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0244.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0245.jpg

9. Jul 24, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    newcombmeister

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Greenville
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    This was by far one of the coolest mods I did on Sunday. I used Plasti-Dip to black out all of the chrome emblems all over the truck. This was very time consuming because you have to use a tooth pick to clear out all the the Plasti-Dip around and inside some of the letters but man was it worth it. It makes my truck look so much better and since I am seeking to rid my truck of chrome, it helps me tremendously haha. Anyways pics are below and as always thanks again!

PS: Just got the bullbar in today so that will be going on this weekend along with the black headlight mod to help round out my blacked out grill, pics coming soon!

IMG_0237.jpg
    IMG_0239.jpg
    IMG_0243.jpg

10. Jul 25, 2012 at 10:21 PM
    roverTx

roverTx Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Biloxi, MS
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 Silver/Black
    3" Lift, Thrush Muffler, Two 10" Subs, JVC Head Unit, Halo Projector Head Lights
    This is inspiration for me. I also have a silver Tacoma and I am trying to black out everything. I hate all the chrome it just looks so cheesy on a truck.

11. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    newcombmeister

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Greenville
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    Yea chrome is overrated lol, im about to be doing the black headlight mod, smoking the tail lights, and installing my black bull bar this weekend, pics coming soon and its gonna be sick!

12. Jul 29, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    newcombmeister

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Greenville
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    Hello again,

So I did the black head light mod to my truck along with smoking the taillights and making my own custom cab taillight. All this turned out way better than I had originally expected. I knew that the head lights would be the hardest out of all the work but actually turned out to be quite easy.

Sealed the back up with some RVT sealant and washed the truck today with no water getting in! Also thanks to VHT nightshades my tail lights look awesome. Used mailbox letters and stuck them to the cab taillight and then used Krylon fusion satin black to cover the rest so when I press the brake "TOYOTA" shines through. Overall it was a full day with of work but with everything else Ive done it was well worth the effort and way cheaper then having it done somewhere else! Pics are posted below and feel free to ask any questions! Thanks again!

IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0267.jpg
    IMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0270.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg

13. Jul 29, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    newcombmeister

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Greenville
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    So in previous pics I showed that I had painted "YOTA" in red on all my mud flaps, a suggestion was made from a buddy of mine, that they needed to be silver since there wasnt that much red on my truck. SO.....they have been changed.....but we one up'ed the previous. Not only did we change the color we actually did a shadowing effect on the letters that made it look even more amazing. A friend that was actually helping me that day suggested it and it couldnt have turned out any better. Pure awesomeness lol! Also we got around to painting the trim around my back windows which was much needed seeing as how it was all faded!

IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0268.jpg

14. Jul 29, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    newcombmeister

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Greenville
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    Hi all,

Got my bullbar in the mail last week and installed it this weekend and it was easy to do and took about 15 mins. There were however 4 bolts that had to be loosened to install the mounting brackets and they were a pain! (but an easy pain lol). But here is the most up to date version of my truck so far! Hope you guys like it, because I know I do lol. Thanks for following my build.

IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0267.jpg
    IMG_0271.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top