1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My 2010 Pre-Runner Build – A Collection of Essential Mods for Every New Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by andrewrosz, Feb 20, 2010.

?

Whats your favorite mod in this thread?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2010.
  1. The "hose clamp" and "cable strap" tailgate security mod...

28.2%
  2. The rear bed cargo area compartment locks...

21.2%
  3. The plywood bed liner with the 4 extra D-Ring bed tiedowns...

5.9%
  4. Removing the rear seat headrests for enhanced rear view mirror visibility...

17.6%
  5. Replacing the OEM cigarette lighter with an additional OEM 12V power outlet and cover...

21.2%
  6. Adding an additional OEM 12V power outlet and USB port to the rear console panel...

18.8%
  7. Adding the plastic soup cups and OEM ashtray for additional center console storage...

3.5%
  8. I think all the mods are cool and I vote for them all...

38.8%
  1. Feb 24, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    andrewrosz

andrewrosz [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5
    Okole seat covers, locking bed compartments, vent visors, curt trailer hitch, rear headrests removed, custom plywood bedliner with extra D-rings, disabled seat belt chime.
    Here's a picture of my new 2010 Tacoma Pre-Runner as it was being loaded off the dock en route to South Florida... And as for how long it took me to complete all the mods featured on this thread... I started working on the mods the day I brought the truck home, and it took about three weeks to get everything done. I'm still waiting for the Wet Okole seat covers (on order) though... I'll post a few more pictures once I get them installed.
    My 2010 Tacoma Pre-Runner.jpg

2. Feb 24, 2010 at 11:50 PM
    Tackz

Tackz Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Palm Beach, FL.
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD Sport DC/LB 4x4
    Good mods man. Here's a suggestion: coat that bed plywood with Herculiner. It'll hold anything & everything in place, is tough as nails and it'll protect the wood from the weather.

3. Feb 27, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    andrewrosz

andrewrosz [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5
    Okole seat covers, locking bed compartments, vent visors, curt trailer hitch, rear headrests removed, custom plywood bedliner with extra D-rings, disabled seat belt chime.
    Thanks. I'm definitely going to look into the Herculiner.

4. Mar 13, 2010 at 7:24 AM
    andrewrosz

andrewrosz [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5
    Hello Again Everybody!

Well, my Wet Okole seat covers finally came in today! It took about an hour and a half to install them and they’re simply amazing. A perfect look, and a perfect fit. I went with red and black to match my truck and even my Maltese dog Misty approves (see pictures below) As Misty is part of our family too and travels with us wherever we go, I purchased a “center console dog carrier” for her on eBay. The cost was about $50. The dog carrier fits snugly between the front seats on top of the center console and gives her a 360 degree bird’s-eye view of everything going on outside while we’re traveling.
    Wet Okole Seat Covers.jpg
    Wet Okole and Misty.jpg
    Console Dog Carrier.jpg

Another recent mod (if you want to call it a mod) is the purchase of an “Air Vent GPS Mount” for my Garmin Nuvi. Again, purchased on eBay for less than $5 delivered, and it really solves the problem WELL of how to mount a Garmin GPS in a 2nd generation Tacoma. Check out the picture below. Neat and tidy and the GPS easily unclips if you want to store it away from view.
    GPS Air Vent Mount.jpg

I’m also in the process of installing some after-market fog lights using an OEM switch and relay. I’ll post an update and pictures of that project when completed so check back to this thread soon! Until then, thanks for visiting and be sure to post a reply!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Mar 13, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    4low2go

4low2go Well-Known Member

Member:
    Coatesville, PA
    Vehicle:
    10 RC 4x4 5sp MGM
    Curt hitch, OBX Shift
    Great post, thanks :thumbsup:

6. Apr 30, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    cphilpott

cphilpott New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Napa County CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Thanks to OP. I completely agree on the plywood bed. It is my very first mod on my 2006 4x4 TRD. I used much thicker plywood, 1.25 subfloor plywood. I intend to install strips of quick disconnect tie downs along each edge. I also will be painting the plywood with industrial epoxy paint for color and protection. Now, about that 12V plug in rear of cab, that is my next step and I shall do some searching for the steps in how to hide the wire and do that install.

Products Discussed in

To Top