1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My 2013 Tacoma Access Cab Chinook build in progress

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Jaybashant, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Jan 16, 2018 at 5:38 PM
    Jaybashant

Jaybashant [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Got the spare fuel tank mount fabricated. Steel angle base with galvanized straps with nut tensioner. The angle will be welded to my steel subfloor frame.... rubber spacer will insulate the plastic tank from the frame and mounting straps to avoid any possible chaffing...

IMG_6892.jpg
    IMG_6893.jpg
    IMG_6889.jpg

2. Jan 18, 2018 at 5:39 PM
    Jaybashant

Member:
    Cool today. Pat's dog Sparky was hanging out under the drop light for the heat.... Lots coming together. Fabricated a couple of floor pieces with divinicel laminated with fiberglass, made a call to extend the rear bumper to the aluminum utility boxes. Pat worked on that... I was going to have to fabricate a filler and this is easier and adds more heavy steel to protect the rear quarters... also scrapped my sexy diamond plate scissor ladder for a step hatch to fold out of the back bumper... this gives me a space in the bumper for a house battery (or 2) plus we can extend the trailer hitch reciever...win, win. Located a space for this little safe in a future cabinet. Tiny but room for passports, cash and a handgun.

IMG_6916.jpg
    IMG_6921.jpg

3. Jan 20, 2018 at 8:36 AM
    btenlow

btenlow New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Chinook
    Not yet
    Great thanks again.
    Question for you. In theory, if you left the fiberglass alone and did not cut the front, Would you have then moved the axle back or still left it in the stock location?

4. Jan 20, 2018 at 12:00 PM
    Jaybashant

Member:
    I thought of every scenario Btenlow.... if you left the axle as is on my model Chinook (gazelle) on my acess cab, the fiberglass wheel well would be 10" in back of where it needs to be....
    If you move the axle back by 10" it would work but the steering radius would become huge I believe...
    I really could use the 10" inside as I plan the interior but I love the dimensions of my truck... it is about 9" longer than the stock pickup and still will fit into a 20' shipping container. I am happy with my decisions so far.... was just out with my wife looking at potential materials for interior finishes.... vinyls, upholstery fabrics, formica, flooring etc.

Toyko Joe likes this.
  5. Jan 21, 2018 at 6:33 PM
    Jaybashant

Member:
    Hoping for a big push this week. Ready to pattern out the diamond plate wheel wells and tie them into the utility boxes. Also hope to glass in the last couple of foam floor boards after finalizing the water system plumbing and the gasoline fill split to be able to syphon feed my spare fuel into the main tank.
    Also need to glass in some structure where I need it ... propane tank mounts, tiny flat screen articulating mount, electric panel mount etc... in general I want to be done with the fiberglass work inside.
    Then the interior build should be pretty fast. Attached are some choices on interior finishes. Ceiling a pale grey upholstered vinyl... most walls in a non woven hull liner polypropeline. The few cabinets built ultra light of 3/4" welded aluminum frames covered in Formica over door skin... a little color with the upholstered sofas/bed... and a glue down vinyl floor.
    I am taking off for Guatemala on the 2nd of February but am looking forward to some big progress before then.

IMG_6923.jpg
    IMG_6925.jpg

6. Jan 22, 2018 at 6:17 PM
    Jaybashant

Member:
    Got the water tank fill plumbing done and the fuel system connections made below floor for the auxiliary fuel tank.... needed to extend the factory gas fill to reach the camper wall where the locking fuel fill hatch is to be installed.
    The extra gas tank of 15 gallons will have a seperate fill, vent and fuel guage... It will syphon feed into where the main tank fill hose was split with a 3 way fitting... used a ball valve to isolate the tank and a pump ball like a marine outboard tank to create the syphon. Super simple and effective.
    Also got the floor to cab floors glassed in and mounted the aux fuel tank frame with hardened carriage bolts through the steel flood sub frame...the plan, after the tank is strapped in with the steel mounting straps is to box it in with divinicel foam and fiberglass so the fuel tank and fittings are completely isolated from the camper living space... coming along.

IMG_6951.jpg
    IMG_6949.jpg

7. Jan 23, 2018 at 5:17 PM
    Jaybashant

Member:
    Finished all of the below floor plumbing for water and fuel and got the last few floor panels laminated in.... the main gasoline fill has been mounted near the camper wall where the hole will cut for the 6"x6" powdercoated fuel fill door.... used a marine fill and vent for the auxiliary gas tank.
    Now that the final floors are installed the auxiliary gas tank will be installed.
    My neighbor made the fine aluminum hose barb 90° for me... lathe turned then welded... nice to have talent and equipment in the hood.

IMG_6960.jpg
    IMG_6955.jpg
    IMG_6959.jpg
    IMG_6952.jpg

8. Jan 24, 2018 at 5:00 PM
    Jaybashant

Member:
    Began sorting out the interior plan... placed some of the components to get a better feel for the space planning. Framed out to extend the floor into the access cab and create some storage. Both of the seats will still lay back completly....
    Tomorrow the aluminum cabinet skeletons will start to come together. Using angle and 3/4" square tube tech screwed together and the spot welded so they won't squeak or move.... keeping the interior cabinets ultra light.

IMG_6973.jpg
    IMG_6969.jpg

BassAckwards, Dan H, RogueTRD and 5 others like this.
  9. Jan 31, 2018 at 6:53 PM
    Jaybashant

Member:
    Sorry for no posts for a bit... got tied up with some other stuff. Making some mods to the rear bumper. Scrapped the scissor stair for boxing in the center of the back bumper for battery storage and a hinge down lid that will be the step... it will be simple and functional. Also taking advantage of the thick walled 2"x6" construction as an air tank...... the back bumper will double as compressed air storage for on board air...
    I am taking off for a few weeks to Guatemala... I will be back to it mid february....

silverbullet02, Toyko Joe and Dan H like this.
  10. Jan 31, 2018 at 7:04 PM
    Dan H

Dan H Wife thinks I'm having an affair with my Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Glendale AZ
    Vehicle:
    2006 indigo ink PreRunner DCSB- 2012 Venza AWD
    ProComp Pro Runner shocks n struts Painted engine cover Fog anytime mod Cherrybomb muffler Bestop 3/16 tailgate plate and top cap Where do I begin with all the camo
    I guess I can wait til then. Have a safe and fun trip.

Jaybashant[OP] likes this.
  11. Jan 31, 2018 at 7:10 PM
    Jaybashant

Member:
    Thanks Dan! When I return, the interior is coming together.

ChadsPride and Dan H[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Feb 18, 2018 at 4:48 AM
    Jaybashant

Member:
    Back from my travels and I have a little change of focus... my friend who is letting me use his shop is vacating one warehouse month end. I want to plastic it off and do my paint job in it so I am prepping for that... took the windows out yesterday as well as the back door and tail lights.
    I have a bunch of final fairing to do on the body in prep for paint.
    Also was not happy with the back door window position as they were not great for my rear view mirror vis... I am rebuilding it with aluminum diamond plate and a new lock set.
    Patrick is working on finishing the back bumper battery box/step modifications. He will also fabricate a piece of radius steel structure to protect the fronts of the forward aluminum utility boxes which would be vulnerable to branches and brush.

IMG_7312.jpg
    IMG_7314.jpg
    IMG_7316.jpg

13. Feb 18, 2018 at 6:31 AM
    Dan H

Dan H Wife thinks I'm having an affair with my Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Glendale AZ
    Vehicle:
    2006 indigo ink PreRunner DCSB- 2012 Venza AWD
    ProComp Pro Runner shocks n struts Painted engine cover Fog anytime mod Cherrybomb muffler Bestop 3/16 tailgate plate and top cap Where do I begin with all the camo
    Welcome back.

14. Feb 18, 2018 at 6:41 AM
    Jaybashant

Member:
    Thank you Dan!

15. Feb 18, 2018 at 8:28 AM
    coylifut

coylifut Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tk
    portland or
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DBC LB
    Weather Techs, Wet Okoles, cbi rear bumper with swingout
    what are doing in the way of leaf springs or other enhancements to support the weight?

16. Feb 18, 2018 at 9:07 AM
    Jaybashant

Member:
    It has stayed relatively light Coylifut. So far suspension is stock with the addition of a pair of 1200 lb supersprings helpers. she feels great while driving .... I am going to get her done and then see what I need to do... probably some airbags I am thinking but nothing radical as I have not added any radical weight. I am sitting about 600 lbs over stock right now.

17. Feb 18, 2018 at 9:14 AM
    coylifut

coylifut Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tk
    portland or
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DBC LB
    Weather Techs, Wet Okoles, cbi rear bumper with swingout
    The Supersprings are likely to handle all of it.

18. Feb 18, 2018 at 9:32 AM
    Jaybashant

Member:
    I think so too. See what she feels like finished with full tanks and gear loaded and make a judgement call...

19. Feb 18, 2018 at 10:37 AM
    Fleischwagen

Fleischwagen 2.7 > 3.5

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR 5MT 4X4
    5.29's, ARB locker, 6112/5100, Deaver AAL, LCE Header, aFe dry-flo filter, Hurst/Core shifter, CBI T3 Front, Warn Winch, CB/UHF Radio equipment, Backrack, KC fogs and spots
    Such a cool build! Can't wait to see more!

20. Feb 18, 2018 at 11:45 AM
    Jaybashant

Member:
    Thanks Fleishwagon!

Products Discussed in

To Top