1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

my $5800 bill surprise- NEED INPUT PLZ!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by justintaco18, Dec 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 6, 2018 at 7:28 AM
    IPNPULZ

IPNPULZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Deeper in the South…….
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off Road Premium 4R
    going to be fun!
    OP what State is this?

2. Dec 6, 2018 at 7:29 AM
    projectmoonlite

projectmoonlite Taco noob

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Truck
    It's almost common sense really. This isn't some $50 oil change. $5000+ worth of work without written authorization? Yea...

3. Dec 6, 2018 at 7:34 AM
    IPNPULZ

Member:
    Deeper in the South…….
    Vehicle:
    going to be fun!
    Several states require dealerships to provide consumers with a cost estimate before they begin any car repair work, but most repair shops are more than willing to provide one anyway. Some repair shops charge a fee for estimates, since car owners often shop around for deals and will not necessarily use a given repair shop for the actual work, but they must notify consumers about any such fees. Additionally, many statutes requiring estimates also stipulate that the final cost may not exceed the estimate over a certain percentage.

ilubtimmyhos likes this.
  4. Dec 6, 2018 at 7:35 AM
    justintaco18

justintaco18 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Base
    I'm in MA. Exactly, $5k? May as well be $10k if I have to pay it!

5. Dec 6, 2018 at 7:36 AM
    IPNPULZ

Member:
    Deeper in the South…….
    Vehicle:
    going to be fun!
    I understand this!

6. Dec 6, 2018 at 7:41 AM
    Thaitoy

Thaitoy 2003 3.0 turbo diesel. 6in lift w 33's

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 taco 3.0 turbo diesel
    6 inch lift. 33in tires 10000lb winch and shocks
    $7,000 for a lawyer... just joking.

Each state has a maximum limit for small claims court and neither side gets to use a lawyer.

Unless the op signed a work order for the work then the dealer should not have done the work.
    I would go to the general manager explain what happened, nothing was signed to have the work done.

He should be smart enough to let it go, if not i would also explain i am contacting toyota, the media ect... it wont look good when 7 on your side walks in, make sure your hair is nice.

7. Dec 6, 2018 at 7:41 AM
    IPNPULZ

Member:
    Deeper in the South…….
    Vehicle:
    going to be fun!
    Before getting your oral or written permission to begin the repairs, you have the right to know some basic information. 940 CMR 5.05 (4)

Before beginning any work, a repair shop must give you a written estimate listing the specific repairs to be made. The estimate must list the specific parts, labor, and cost of the repairs, unless the charges are posted where they may readily be seen. This written estimate must be signed by you. 940 CMR 5.05 (3)

The repair shop does not need to provide you with this written estimate if:

• they are unable to diagnose the specific problem when the vehicle is delivered to the repair shop, and they obtain your authorization for needed repairs after determining the required work; or
    • you bring the vehicle to a repair shop before or after its usual business hours; or
    • the repair services are performed off the premises of the repair shop, at your request; or
    • you sign a written waiver prior to the repair work which reads the scope of work requested.
    https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2016/08/oj/940-cmr-5-00.pdf

Gunshot-6A and CallTRD like this.
  8. Dec 6, 2018 at 7:43 AM
    Thaitoy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    This is why people say, get it in writig

9. Dec 6, 2018 at 7:49 AM
    IPNPULZ

Member:
    Deeper in the South…….
    Vehicle:
    going to be fun!
    Yep and If OP does not have a signed estimate for the work by the dealer for the work done he might have a good case....

OP pushes the issue or he looses his ride....The nails and clawing need to start now!

10. Dec 6, 2018 at 7:53 AM
    Malibu7tss

Malibu7tss Can' t think of anything to type here right now.

Member:
    Central pa.
    Vehicle:
    2016 trd sport dcsb 4x4 bbp 6spd manual
    Old man emu with 888's and headstrong off road progressive aal, trd pro wheel, Cooper Stt Pros 285/70r17
    Exactly why I said advice. I am in no way saying hire a lawyer. I'm saying until someone that knows the laws explains the laws you may not understand completely your options. And I should have said only if completely necessary have said lawyer speak for you. As in you have no other course of action. Sucks to have to even discuss stuff like this. I know at the dealership I work for no work will be done, and I mean no work until the client understands every penny they are spending. If we do not get their approval we are responsible for all charges not signed for by the client.

11. Dec 6, 2018 at 7:55 AM
    IPNPULZ

Member:
    Deeper in the South…….
    Vehicle:
    going to be fun!
    ^^^^^ Well said!

Malibu7tss likes this.
  12. Dec 6, 2018 at 7:55 AM
    doorsidedown

doorsidedown Well-Known Member

Member:
  13. Dec 6, 2018 at 7:56 AM
    DavesTaco68

DavesTaco68 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Thompson, BC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD
    - ICON UCAs, BP51/Kings, SCS wheels, 285 KO2s, Leer 100XR canopy. Greenlane aluminum winch bumper, Smittybilt X20 winch.
    I'm really surprised that Toyota did anything without you signing first. I can see you loading up the back of your truck with the used parts when you drove it in for the frame replacement.

14. Dec 6, 2018 at 7:58 AM
    IPNPULZ

Member:
    Deeper in the South…….
    Vehicle:
    going to be fun!
    OP make a few phone calls to the right people they will guide you in the direction needed for resolution it may be as simple as a phone call or letter from someone to the dealer....

15. Dec 6, 2018 at 7:58 AM
    Thaitoy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I think i figured out the mixup in the bill.

Every shop has a labor time for each repair. The op was given a price on what the labor is with the frame out cutting time and labor. Some how that was overlooked. It could be a mistake by an office person.
    I had a small shop we did our own labor rates out of the chilton manual. A deaership like my dad had used office people to do the final bill.

So a person in the office might see clutch disc, pressure plate ect for a certain vehicle the tech just turned in a parts used list, this way the mechanics spent more time generating revinue.

The person in the office would not know the transmission was out for other work to be done.

16. Dec 6, 2018 at 7:59 AM
    Thaitoy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The lawyer part was a joke

Malibu7tss[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Dec 6, 2018 at 8:04 AM
    crolison

crolison Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ar vah da, CO
    Vehicle:
    POS
    I am thinking this is how they got their price. All the work was priced as if the truck just drove in, but as the extra hour here and there for the work.

Gunshot-6A likes this.
  18. Dec 6, 2018 at 8:05 AM
    IPNPULZ

Member:
    Deeper in the South…….
    Vehicle:
    going to be fun!
    5.05: Repairs and Services 7/1/93

(1) It is an unfair or deceptive act or practice for a repair shop to make or authorize to be made in any manner or by any means a statement which it knows to be or, in the exercise of reasonable care, should know to be untrue or misleading including, without limitation, the following types of statements:

(a) That repairs are necessary or desirable when such is not a fact;

(b) That a vehicle is in a dangerous condition or that a customer's continued use of a vehicle may be harmful to the customer or others when such is not a fact; or
    (c) That repairs have been performed on a vehicle when such is not a fact.

(2) It is an unfair or deceptive act or practice for a repair shop, prior to commencing repairs on a customer's vehicle, to fail to record in writing the following information:

(a) The name and address of the customer and a telephone number at which the customer may be reached;

(b) The date and approximate time the customer's vehicle was delivered to the repair shop;

(c) The year, make and registration number of the customer's vehicle;

(d) The odometer reading on the customer's vehicle; and

(e) The specific repairs requested by the customer, or, if the customer has not requested specific repairs, a brief description of the problems the customer has encountered with the vehicle which caused him to bnng it to the repair shop. \

(3) It is an unfair or deceptive act or practice for a repair shop to charge a customer for any repairs on a customer's motor vehicle unless either:

(a) The repair shop has received written authorization signed by the customer listing the specific repairs to be performed and the total price to be paid for such repairs, including parts and labor, or

(b) The repair shop has received written authorization signed by the customer listing the specific repairs to be performed and the charges for such repairs, including parts and labor, are displayed in a clear and conspicuous manner on the premises of the repair shop; or

(c) If the repair shop is unable to obtain written authorization from the customer to perform specific repairs (as when the specific repairs to be performed on the vehicle are not known at the time the vehicle is delivered to the repair shop), the repair shop notifies the customer, prior to commencing any repairs, of the specific repairs to be performed on the vehicle and the total price to be charged the customer for such repairs, including parts and labor, and obtains the customer's authorization to perform such repairs; or 940 CMR - 46 940 CMR: OFFICE OF THE A ITORNEY GENERAL 5.05:

continued 7/1/93 (d) The repair shop has obtained, prior to commencing repair of the vehicle, a written Waiver, in the following form, executed by the customer in a knowing, voluntary and intelligent manner: I understand that I have the right to know before authorizing any repairs what the repairs to my car will be and what their cost will be. You need not obtain approval from me for repairs or inform me prior to performing repairs what the repairs are or their cost, if the total amount for repairs does not exceed $ --------- SIGNATURE Such waiver may be included as part of a repair order provided, however, that such waiver is printed in clear and conspicuous type and that its execution may only be accomplished by the customer's signature separate from that appearing elsewhere on the order.

(e) The provisions of 940 CMR 5.05

(3) shall not be applicable if the customer brings his or her motor vehicle to the repair shop before or after its usual business hours, or, at the customer's request, repair services are rendered off the premises of the repair shop.

(4) It is an unfair or deceptive act or practice for a repair shop to fail to inform a customer, prior to obtaining oral or written authorization to perform repairs on the customer's vehicle, of the following information:

(a) The conditions under which the repair shop may impose storage charges and the daily or hourly amount of such charges;

(b) That the customer has a right to have any parts replaced by the repair shop returned to him or her at the completion of the repairs or to inspect such parts in the event the repair shop is required to return the replaced parts to the manufacturer or some other person under a warranty or rebuilding arrangement; and ·

(c) The amount of any charge to the customer for an estimate or diagnosis. For purposes of 940 CMR 5.00, a repair shop shall be deemed to have informed its customers of the information contained in 940 CMR 5.05

4)(a) through (c) if the repair shop displays such information in a clear and conspicuous manner on the repair shop's premises.

(5) It is an unfair or deceptive act or practice for a repair shop which receives any oral authorization from a customer (whether such authorization is to perform certain repairs, to proceed with repairs even at an increased cost, to extend the time during which repairs may be performed, or any other type of authorization) to fail to maintliin written records containing the following information:

(a) The date and time the authorization was received;

(b) The name of the repair shop employee receiving the oral authorization and the name of the person making the authorization;

(c) A statement of the exact authorization received; and

(d) If the authorization was received over the telephone and the repair shop placed the call, the telephone number called.

(6) It is an unfair or deceptive act or practice for a repair shop to fail to complete repairs on a motor vehicle on the day the vehicle is delivered to the repair shop by the customer unless the customer is informed of and consents to a further delay or the repair shop can show that the delay was caused by circumstances beyond its control and which could not have been reasonably anticipated. 940 CMR- 47 940 CMR: OFFICE OF THE AITORNEY GENERAL 5.05: continued

(7) It is an unfair or deceptive act or practice for a repair shop which discovers in the course of repairing a customer's vehicle that the vehicle needs repairs other than those authorized by the customer, or that the price for performing such repairs will exceed either the price authorized by the customer or the price noted on a posted schedule of repair charges by more than $10.00, to fail to IDform the customer of such fact and to obtain the customer's authorization to continue with the repair work before proceeding with the repairs.

(8) It is an unfair or deceptive act or practice for a repair shop to fail to remedy promptly, at no charge to the customer, any repairs performed by it on the customer's vehicle which were not performed in a good and workmanlike manner in accordance with accepted trade standards.

(9) It is an unfair or deceptive act or practice for a repair shop to fail to provide to a customer, at the completion of the repair work performed on the customer's vehicle, including warranty repair work, a dated written bill containing the following information:

(a) The name and address of the customer and the repair shop;

(b) The date the customer's vehicle was delivered to the repair shop;

(c) The year, make and registration number of the customer's vehicle and the odometer reading of the vehicle on the date it was delivered to the repair shop;

(d) An itemized list of the repairs performed on the customer's vehicle;

(e) A list of the parts supplied to the customer by name and number, the price charged to the customer for each such part, and the total amount charged to the customer for parts;

(f) If any part supplied was not new, a statement as to whether it was used, reconditioned or rebuilt;

(g) The number of hours of labor charged for the repair work, a designation of such hours as actual hours worked or flat-rate hours, the price charged to the customer for each such hour and the total amount charged to the customer for labor; and

(h) The total amount charged to the customer for parts and labor. If the price charged to the customer for the repair work is a flat charge for the particular repair which was included in a schedule of charges posted in a clear and conspicuous manner on the premises of the repair shop at the time the vehicle was delivered, the repair shop need not list the price of each part supplied, the number of hours charged or the charge for each hour of labor.

(10) It is an unfair or deceptive act or practice for a repair shop to charge a customer for repairs which have not actually been performed.

(11) It is an unfair or deceptive act or practice for a repair shop to fail or refuse to provide to a customer a copy of any document signed by the customer either at the time the document is signed or at the completion of the repair work.

(12) It is an unfair or deceptive act or practice for a repair shop to use a customer's vehicle for any purpose other than a test drive or delivery to the customer unless the express written authorization of the customer has been obtained in advance.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    CallTRD, Gunshot-6A and BeardedTacoma like this.
  19. Dec 6, 2018 at 8:11 AM
    IPNPULZ

Member:
    Deeper in the South…….
    Vehicle:
    going to be fun!
    If I am reading the law right I think OP has a good case on this issue.....It now depends on his negotiating skills for a resolution.

20. Dec 6, 2018 at 8:14 AM
    motodude95

motodude95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB, OME 886s, 33s
    Possible that the total invoice amount included the frame replacement which will actually be deducted? Just saying, that's a big bill even for all of the work performed. Especially if you supplied your own parts. Might be a misunderstanding. The dudes running those invoices aren't always the brightest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top