1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

my $5800 bill surprise- NEED INPUT PLZ!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by justintaco18, Dec 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 6, 2018 at 8:15 AM
    justintaco18

justintaco18 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Base
    no, frame swaps are $13k, this was just additional stuff.

2. Dec 6, 2018 at 8:17 AM
    motodude95

motodude95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB, OME 886s, 33s
    Go in guns blazing and threaten to sue. What was the estimate or quote they gave you? $2500??

3. Dec 6, 2018 at 8:19 AM
    Exracer2

Exracer2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colchester Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road Alpine White ACLB
    BRO grille, KICKER speakers, Key amp, Hideaway sub
    So you were there with the truck apart and halfway complete on the clutch and got your first meeting. Right there I would be pumping the brakes. Ignorance does not absolve you from responsibility. In court their lawyer will have a field day with you. They will ask you why you were halfway into the job and weren’t protesting that they were performing work you didn’t authorize or didn’t have a quote for. Since you were complacent even then they will claim you only had an issue once the final bill was presented to you. I can’t walk into a restaurant and claim I wasn’t provided a menu with prices so I shouldn’t have to pay when a coke is $5 and a hamburger is $24.

OP, I feel for you. That is a big bill when you were expecting half of that. But you have to take some responsibility for this. You dropped the ball multiple times. Might be your age or inexperience (sorry don’t know your age or what your experiences are). I ask questions and request details. I am anal about it because I didn't when I was younger and paid the price for it. In life everything is about the details. I can buy high quality goods or cheap Chinese. They both do the same thing but the details set them apart. Same with financing rates, terms etc. Everything in life isn’t about the broad strokes it is in the details. This is essentially a $2500 lesson (on top of the $2500 you expected to pay. So about 25 hours labour give or take. Yes it sucks. You wanted the work done and you got it and maybe more. You now have a solid frame and got everything done you had hoped to afford. Yes the bill is higher than you were ready to swallow. But is it fair? Did you really want those things done you were quoting?

At the end of the day I am less than confident the OP will get his truck with the help of the police or get away from paying in court. Not my problem or my responsibility because I would do my due diligence first. That’s the lesson here. Stop thinking about retribution and weaseling out of paying for a second and accept your responsibility. Otherwise you will repeat this mistake in the future regardless of how you resolve this. Good luck and lesson learned (hopefully).

4. Dec 6, 2018 at 8:27 AM
    tonykarter

tonykarter Crappie Savant

Member:
    Snuff Gully, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB 4x4 Sport 1993 4Runner SR5 4x4, 411,000 miles
    Pine tree air freshener
    Moral of story: Every person at that dealership has a business card with their email address on it. ESPECIALLY the General Manager. As soon as possible you put everything in an email to them, with delivery and read receipt requested. You write that nothing is to be done to the vehicle until they respond to this email with firm pricing, and until you respond to them back authorizing the work. Life is a minefield of crap like this. You hold the mine detector. Use it.

But you already know that. Now.

5. Dec 6, 2018 at 8:27 AM
    crolison

crolison Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ar vah da, CO
    Vehicle:
    POS
    You are approaching this wrong. The real question is did it take 58 hours to do this extra work (100/hr estimate or equivalent to hours to labor)? That is the only question that needs to be answered, if they can demonstrate that at their labor rate/fees that they came up with $5800 worth, then the bill is valid.

6. Dec 6, 2018 at 8:28 AM
    Greg617

Greg617 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2010 5-speed 4x4
    Dents and scratches... Fox 2.5 Factory
    :spending:

7. Dec 6, 2018 at 9:44 AM
    IPNPULZ

IPNPULZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Deeper in the South…….
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off Road Premium 4R
    going to be fun!
    OP let us know the outcome of this please

Fiesta346 likes this.
  8. Dec 6, 2018 at 10:17 AM
    2ski4life7

2ski4life7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB 4x4 TRD Off Road Previously '12 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    It is actually pretty sad some things people get away with. I have a friend who owns a restaurant and when the new chip cards came out they didn't have a reader. Well some people complained they didn't have a chip reader, instead swiping, and basically were refunded their amount. Of course that is pretty bullshit. I am not sure if they lost out on the money or just the CC as I didn't follow up.

Fiesta346 likes this.
  9. Dec 6, 2018 at 10:22 AM
    Exracer2

Exracer2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colchester Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road Alpine White ACLB
    BRO grille, KICKER speakers, Key amp, Hideaway sub
    Bill may be valid (or inflated). Is the arguement about authorization or the actual value of the bill?

Think about it. Either the dealership did the work in good faith thinking that’s what was what was asked of them. Or they intentionally did the work without authorization to bump up the invoice. If that’s the case you had better believe they have ensured they will get paid not matter what. Either way someone is getting screwed. But let’s blindly support the dude who didn’t do his due diligence or set off any alarm bells until he got the final bill.

Anyway I am out. I have already unwatched this thread a page ago and keep getting quoted. If I could sum up this whole thread in a couple of words it’s DUE DILIGENCE. Either do it or accept the consequences which some are unwilling to do. Not my wallet.

Hawco636 likes this.
  10. Dec 6, 2018 at 10:27 AM
    Fiesta346

Fiesta346 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra rock warrior
    IF ANY business has a credit card machine that swipes instead of using the chip insert and the card used has a chip that transaction can be disputed via whoever's name that credit card is in....fact!

11. Dec 6, 2018 at 10:30 AM
    Redeemed

Redeemed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 with a "TRD Off-Road" sticker
    Seems to me that if a legit shop/dealer was going to sink $6K of parts and labor into a customer's vehicle, they'd be darn sure to dot their I's and cross their T's, but what do I know?

Hope it works out satisfactorily, OP.

12. Dec 6, 2018 at 10:31 AM
    2ski4life7

2ski4life7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB 4x4 TRD Off Road Previously '12 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    How does that work though. I'm pretty sure someone can pull up a video cam and see the person swiping. I mean isn't that essentially fraud?

Edit: I could basically say all my lunch transactions at my work café are subject if that's the case.

13. Dec 6, 2018 at 10:31 AM
    Extra Hard Taco

Extra Hard Taco Survivor of the winter of misery and death.

Member:
    First Name:
    R.J.
    Clown World
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR
    ARB Bumper, SOS sliders, rear bumper, and skid plate. OME Lift. Some other stuff.
    OP, nobody here on TW has a vested interest in what happens to your truck/money, remember that. if you feel you've been taken advantage of by the service department than by all means stand up and let them know your not going to take it and then follow through on whatever you plan to do. Problem is a lot of people would just bow down and take it when dealing with something like this, its what they expect the customer to do.

Its your money don't let someone's opinion on TW stop you from doing what you fell is right.

14. Dec 6, 2018 at 11:01 AM
    Fiesta346

Fiesta346 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra rock warrior
    Not sure the exacts I called a few places when searching for a new machine and they all stated that.

15. Dec 8, 2018 at 6:35 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    This. ^^

Because

1) we are morbidly curious

2) at least 1/2 of the sidewalk lawyers here will be out of business.

Hope it all shakes fairly all around.

SR-71A likes this.
  16. Dec 8, 2018 at 6:56 AM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    Just try not to be a douche and get out of paying the entire bill. You messed up by not being on top of what the dealer was doing, they messed up on not getting your written authorization. An equitable settlement of a 50/50 split seems fair to both parties seeing as they did do all the work you originally wanted.

wirenut likes this.
  17. Dec 9, 2018 at 10:01 AM
    iwashmycar

iwashmycar a lot

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Lewis Center, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ 4x4 AT
    33's | 3" | skids | rails | dent | CB | lights | dingus
  18. Dec 9, 2018 at 10:21 AM
    HardShellTacoma

HardShellTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR
    OP may have a case to not have to pay for any of the work if they didn’t sign an estimate but perhaps a more fair solution would be to offer to pay the shop for parts and labor at cost.

19. Dec 13, 2018 at 4:07 PM
    la0d0g

la0d0g Its 4 o’clock somewhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    Typical noob thread. Posts up looking for advice. Never closes the loop. Thanks OP! :luvya:

TireFire, Redeemed and wirenut like this.
  20. Dec 13, 2018 at 4:19 PM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    Detriot locker rear ARB air locker front 4.56 gears OME 3" lift, SPC uca's , moto metal 951 wheels 315/75/r16 Treadwright guard dogs, homemade front plate bumper with smittybilt 9.5k winch, homemade skids, homemade Bed bars, Mobtown offroad high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier, Homemade rock sliders , U-bolt flip, Wheeler's super bumps, BORA 1" wheel spacers , Black headlight mod , black tail lights, Satoshi Grill , autoPage C3 RS-665 alarm with remote start, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, cruise control,bed/ground effect lights, wet okole seat covers, tinted,windows, weather tech floor mats, AVS vent shades, debadged, hidden cobra 19 cb, 7" offroad lights behind grill, rear diff breather relocate, abs kill switch
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top