1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My 99 Shake really bad at highway speeds...need advice !!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by savoy, Mar 5, 2009.

1. May 10, 2009 at 10:37 PM
    boredazhell

boredazhell Well-Known Member

Member:
    hey tacomaman... my sway bar bushing looks exactly like your old ones.

What problems did you have with your truck before you replace them? My truck has been vibrating but I thought it was a normal thing.

What differences did you feel after you had them replaced?

how long is the steering rack covered under warranty?

2. May 11, 2009 at 9:49 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    well......when i replaced the sway bar bushings, as far as driving goes........the truck didnt have a ton of front body roll as it did before i replaced them. replacing the sway bar bushings probably isnt gonna get rid of any vibrations that you may have. as for the steering rack.......i bought the wrap warranty for my tacoma,since it was used, so thats why it was covered. and now, since they replaced it, i havent looked to see how long this new one is under warranty.

3. May 11, 2009 at 3:52 PM
    da0023

da0023 The One, The Only

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner SR5
    none
    alright guys listen to this. i took off work half a day to try to get my trucks vib./shake/bounce straightened out. anyhow, i went to the most knowledge/reputable tire center in our area, and let a guy with 30yrs. experience drive my truck and see if he could pin-point my problem.(i was told by several people that he could diagnois any tire/suspension/driveline problem just by driving around for a bit). before he even started the engine, he told me that all prerunner 4cyl. he has ever ridden in rode like crap, because the stiffer suspension combined with the light weight of the truck causes it to "kinda bounce excessivley" at highway speeds, once we started going down the road, i pointed out the particular harshness of the ride at certain speeds, and when we returned to the shop, he just said that that was the way the truck is going to ride, and that everything that he could feel/hear was ok and told me not to worry about it. maybe I am just putting to much concern into the matter, then again we never hit speeds above 55 mph. you do ya'll think.

4. May 11, 2009 at 3:55 PM
    HARDSHELLTACO

HARDSHELLTACO HoofHearted

Member:
    First Name:
    McLovin
    BOWLING GREEN, KY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    How can this be diagnosed? Should there be any movement at the center support bearing.

5. May 11, 2009 at 4:00 PM
    da0023

da0023 The One, The Only

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner SR5
    none
    i called my local toyota dealer today, and the guy said there should be a little movement

6. May 11, 2009 at 4:04 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    you can climb under the truck and push up on the drive shaft near the bearing.....if it has alot of slop, you'll be able to tell.

7. May 11, 2009 at 4:08 PM
    da0023

da0023 The One, The Only

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner SR5
    none
    tacomaman, what do you condier alot of slop, mine has some movement, but i went to know how much is to much?

8. May 11, 2009 at 4:10 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    a little movement is ok, but you'll know when you have too much...............if it has a quarter inch to a half inch of slop....its probably safe to say it bad.

9. May 11, 2009 at 4:21 PM
    da0023

da0023 The One, The Only

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner SR5
    none
    ok, thanks for the reply. also do you know where i could get the little trim caps that cover up the screws that holds the grap handle to the pillar. i have tried the local junk yards, but all they have are tacoma's with gray int. I have tan.

10. May 11, 2009 at 4:32 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    for those,im not too sure. maybe try http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214074

11. May 11, 2009 at 4:38 PM
    jeeters79

jeeters79 Active Member

Member:
    Arlington , WA
    Vehicle:
    '99 4X4 SR5
    OK, now I'm wondering... I've been fighting some serious vibrations myself lately. My truck gets shakin about 60-65 mph, but it isn't like a typical shake. It comes and goes in intensity:confused:. I'v gone and done the rebalance my tires dance a few times to no avail. Recently the actual tech working on my tires told me I have a bent wheel so I've been looking to get some new ones. Hopefully they'll help.

BUT...

Now I'm starting to wonder if there's just a certain harmonic* that the body vibrates at? My shocks are old and could use replacing so maybe that is allowing the vibrations to get to the degree they're at? Hearing others with this problem makes me want to find some engineering degree guys input on these things.

* I know race cars get tested to see what the harmonic frequency they resonate at so that they can be stronger, stiffer, ect. Also this is done with airframes for planes to keep them from failing due to metal fatigue. Does Toyota do this on their trucks?

12. May 11, 2009 at 5:00 PM
    da0023

da0023 The One, The Only

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner SR5
    none
    jeeters, i hear what you are saying. i have replaced both sets of shocks, rotated/balanced/aligned tires, wheels checked out to be true, and i still have the bad vibs. i'm beginning to think the guy at the tire store was right, it is just the way our generations of tacoma's ride, i would surely not think so, but who knows?

13. May 11, 2009 at 5:19 PM
    jeeters79

jeeters79 Active Member

Member:
    Arlington , WA
    Vehicle:
    '99 4X4 SR5
    Still... there's got to be something to be done. There's NO way Toyota would have sold as many of these trucks if they all shook like this. I've never heard of anybody else's rig with this until now, and figure somebody else would have complained. Or have they? maybe time to start digging thru old posts around here?

14. May 11, 2009 at 5:35 PM
    da0023

da0023 The One, The Only

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner SR5
    none
    amen brother. i am going to try one other fix tomorrow, i am getting my mechanic to install a new center support bearing, just to be sure, than after that, if the problem persists, i'm going to drive it til the wheels fall off. as for other complaints i have read some, but they all was fixed with tires/bushings, etc. I have replaced all that i thought it could be, with no resolution, so it might be just a handfull of us that are just s.o.l. :confused:

15. May 12, 2009 at 6:06 AM
    HARDSHELLTACO

HARDSHELLTACO HoofHearted

Member:
    First Name:
    McLovin
    BOWLING GREEN, KY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    Ditto!

16. May 12, 2009 at 12:50 PM
    savoy

savoy [OP] tacoma 4 life

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Fort mcmurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma double cab black
    Pro comp 6" lift, afe intake, flowmaster duel exhaust, dick cepek 35" mt's, and black XD rims
    i haven't been reading this post for a while. But I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one feeling the blues here lol. I'm getting new tires in 3 days. i was told that broken belts in the tires are causing the shakes .... I seriously dought it though

I was wanting to get a toytec lift but im afraid of putting to much money into a older taco that shakes like mine ...and i thinking a extra 3" lift wont help any

as for the comment from above about the weight of the truck ....I moved acrossed canada last year with about 400lbs of stuff on the back and it still shook the whole dame way ....ugg

17. May 12, 2009 at 1:19 PM
    jeeters79

jeeters79 Active Member

Member:
    Arlington , WA
    Vehicle:
    '99 4X4 SR5
    a week ago, I helped a friend haul a motorcycle up from SoCal... 1245 miles each way. felt exactly the same with and without the bike in the back. Although I did notice it the vibrations almost completely dissappeared over 75mph.:D Good luck with the new tires savoy

18. May 13, 2009 at 4:24 AM
    da0023

da0023 The One, The Only

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner SR5
    none
    savoy, when you get the new tires, pm and let me know if it helped, i am kinda thinking that's what problem might be. if it does help, let me know what brands, style, and size. thanks

19. May 13, 2009 at 7:58 PM
    da0023

da0023 The One, The Only

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner SR5
    none
    hey guys, it's me again. today i was driving around, and as usually was feeling the rough ride, anyhow i got to noticing the bed of my truck in my sideview, it was bouncing up and down like a kid on yoo-hoo, and it was bouncing at the same pace my hole truck was. what could be causing this bouncing? a bad tire/wheel in the rear, or could the rear brakes be the cause of all my problems? suggestions?

f.y.i. i got some slightly used michliens ltx ats from my father-in-law, that was just sitting around(they came of his jeep when he upgraded wheels and tires. i'm goin to swap them out tomorrow with my nexen's, to try to elimnate possible bad tire problems. if that don't help, i'm goin to take my spare and swap it out daily with every wheel, to maybe throw out the warped/bent wheel possibility. but i am hoping that the tire will solve my problem. :(

20. May 13, 2009 at 8:00 PM
    TRD4x4858

TRD4x4858 Taco Traitor!

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    95 Jeep XJ
    BONE STOCK! lol
    You got new shocks in the rear?

Products Discussed in

To Top