1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My adult (old guy) oriented KILLER Audio upgrade - $538.00

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Team Scream, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Mar 23, 2020 at 1:17 AM
    Coolfinedonewicked

Coolfinedonewicked Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kaua’i, Hawai’i
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
    First off, thank you and everyone mentioned for these threads. All the time and resources shared here have gotten me going.

I was wondering if you or anyone could point me in the right direction for the wires. Is this something I can purchase from Home Depot, or is it really specific to audio. I have no electronics store, or audio place for that matter, and I really have no idea what I’m looking at on Amazon based on several reviews of wrong gauges for the sizes mentioned here.
    I am completely new to this, but have some common sense, want to tackle what I can, and I have a brother who’d be able to step in if need be. Just wanted to kind of piece together everything you’ve mentioned here for my own lack of experience and ease.

Lots of spare time coming up with these quarantines, so thought I’d try to make use.

2. Mar 23, 2020 at 4:33 AM
    Icarus II

Icarus II Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Southeast Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2007 Prerunner SR5
    Call Crutchfield, tell them what you have and ask them what wiring adapters you’ll need.

CXYyuppie likes this.
  3. Mar 23, 2020 at 8:56 AM
    CLVol1255

CLVol1255 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB
    Bilstein 8112/8100 ICON RXT Stage 2 JBA UCAs Archive Garage HH w Shackles Archive Garage U Bolt Flip kit Nitto Ridge Grapplers 255/80/R17 TRD Front Skid and RCI Transmission Skid Kenwood DMX 1057XR Head Unit Focal Utopia WM 3 way plus WM10 Sub Mosconi 5/30 and Genesis Dual Mono Amp
    A few questions need to be asked before we can tell uou which cables you need.. What equipment did you buy and what do you plan to install? I’m a believer in ofc pure copper cable for audio so I wouldn’t just buy anything from Home Depot or Lowe’s unless it says it’s pure copper ofc

4. Mar 23, 2020 at 9:05 AM
    Coolfinedonewicked

Member:
    Kaua’i, Hawai’i
    Vehicle:
    Not a bad idea at all.

I am planning on the same 6x9’s and sub mentioned... I may end up getting a kicker key down the line as well. After talking to my brother, he says I can get an amp wiring kit from walmart for the sub, but there must be a reason OP did not forego this route. Is it safe to assume it has to do with the quality and copper content as you mentioned?

5. Mar 23, 2020 at 9:12 AM
    CLVol1255

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB
    Bilstein 8112/8100 ICON RXT Stage 2 JBA UCAs Archive Garage HH w Shackles Archive Garage U Bolt Flip kit Nitto Ridge Grapplers 255/80/R17 TRD Front Skid and RCI Transmission Skid Kenwood DMX 1057XR Head Unit Focal Utopia WM 3 way plus WM10 Sub Mosconi 5/30 and Genesis Dual Mono Amp
    Yes that would likely be the reason or at least why I didn’t buy Scoshe or boss from Walmart. Not knocking them but they’re not as high quality from wal mart and holding them side by side you’d be able to tell which is better. They will work but personally NVX Stinger 6000 or above or knu concepts will give you much better quality wire strands and build quality but they’ll also cost nearly twice as much in some cases. I use nvx X series and stinger 8000 for audio and knu concepts/stinger 6000 for power and ground and amp kits. The audio cable comes fully braided and they also basically lock onto the rca connectors so I’m confident they won’t vibrate off. I’m sure there are some other high quality cables I haven’t mentioned too. Kicker and Rockford fosgate make some good ones too. I’d also search speedwire on Amazon for speaker cable you should be good with 18 gauge speedwire for doors although I didn’t go this route bc I completely overkilled my install with lower 12 gauge ofc from postta knowing what I know now looking back I would’ve went with the speedwire which comes with 9 18-22 gauge wires color coded specifically for each door and a remote wire. Easier and cleaner looking route... I’d do 14-gauge for sub. The kicker key has a thread on here specifically how to make the T harness needed for it to be clean and tucked in behind the dash. “TPP4 no nonsense guide to kicker t harness” is thread name and it’s got lots of great info on it. Sorry if I confused you. Hope this helps and I’m in no way a guru but I’ve just finished a pretty big install for the first time a month ago and learned ALOT from it made some mistakes along the way that I had to go back and correct

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  6. Mar 23, 2020 at 3:29 PM
    Coolfinedonewicked

Member:
    Kaua’i, Hawai’i
    Vehicle:
    This is exactly the kind of stuff feedback that these threads provide, that fills in so many of the blank spots that come from my inexperience. I appreciate you taking the time to re draft your original post and edit in the added advice.

I figured out, through asking my brother, what the wires and cables were for, and that it’s basically an amp kit, without the kit. And like so many people, they tend to take the easy or cheap route, such as what’s available or just not knowing any better. I wanted to know the reason OP went this route, and it’s apparent now. I really appreciate your feed back, as well as you Icarus II.

I am now debating on if I should try to stay budget or just go all out if I’m going to go through all the trouble. Coaxial or components, kicker key or no kicker key.... it’s indeed a slippery slope of that kool-aid as everyone has said !

CLVol1255[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Mar 23, 2020 at 5:46 PM
    Icarus II

Icarus II Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Southeast Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2007 Prerunner SR5
    Are you looking to compete, get amazing sound, or just improve on what you have? To each their own.
    I just wanted decent sound and not break the bank. The Crutchfield kit was good for me and electrically safe. I’m getting there, not in a rush.

8. Mar 23, 2020 at 9:21 PM
    CLVol1255

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB
    You’re welcome buddy! I started off trying to get by going cheap and was dissatisfied so much I ended up spending much more in the end replacing the cheaper stuff I’d originally bought then selling it all for next to nothing just to get a little money back. If I had it to do again I would’ve went high end initially. Buy once cry once but I didn’t really realize that I was as much of a sucker for good clean loud sound until I did this. I’m somewhat of an audiophile I guess you could say lol didn’t realize that until this installation and I’m 38 lol. Lots of good folks on here with helpful information and experience with this stuff. I do know that if you stay stock head unit you wanna look for the more efficient speakers with a sensitivity rating at 91db/1w and above I started off with entry level coaxials with alpine power pack amp in October 2019 and now I’ve literally got a new head unit w fully active 3 way 4.1 component setup with best JL audio amp I could afford and a boxed JL audio sub and focal flax door speakers and JL dsp plus sound deadened doors and floors. I’ve went from never running electrical wiring in a vehicle to now have done it at least 4 times in this truck in 5 months time lol it’s been crazy hectic expensive(for me, and it’s totally my fault for being indecisive)and a lot of fun to learn. I’ve also never owned a subwoofer until this install lol

Also you don’t have to spend a ton man. you can get a nice sounding set of speakers and system without spending a ton and you can do it in steps. First and most important is quality set of speakers and have in mind your plan for amp so you get speakers that’ll handle whatever power/SQ it is you’re looking for imo. Then I wouldn’t be cheap on amplifier but that’s just my opinion. Not sure what you’re looking to accomplish exactly tbh to give great advice. Speakers number 1 though

anyway what I’m saying is read take your time and ask questions if you don’t understand. I’m sure a lot of these guys wanted to smack me for asking stupid questions but they were cool and very helpful for the most part. Good luck and happy you found the post helpful

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    shane100700 likes this.
  9. Apr 16, 2020 at 4:44 PM
    Team Scream

Team Scream [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles Kali
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD DCOR Quicksand 4x4
    Old Man $538.00 Sound System Upgrade w/Kicker DS in the doors, and a Cerwin Vega VPAS10 powered (10") sub under the drivers seat.
    Sorry fellas, I did not mean to abandon the thread and I apologize for not replying sooner to some of the questions asked here.

I think CLvol1255 answered most questions as I would have, although, I don't go all in on OFC wire for semi basic installs like this, when the local electronics store has American made stranded copper wire that I know will work for the intended purpose. I do agree that for audiophile installs, OFC makes sense when you are trying to eek out every last bit of clarity in a system, but since I was keeping the factory HU, and not running an amp, it was simply not necessary in my case.

Beyond that, here we are however many months later and my system still sounds amazing. The CW sub was a fantastic choice for me, and it has been rock solid. I can't recommend it highly enough to anyone thinking about putting a powered sub under the front seat. Best money I spent on this system indeed.

10. Jun 7, 2020 at 6:02 AM
    orangeblue

orangeblue Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    19 Tacoma TRD 4WD
    @Team Scream can post a pic of how you have the sub mounted? I just ordered one of these and want to see how it fits under the seat. Thanks!

11. Jun 7, 2020 at 9:29 AM
    Solobaric

Solobaric Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5
    stock
    Interested in a pic too

12. Jun 7, 2020 at 9:46 AM
    Solobaric

Solobaric Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5
    stock
    Besides the 4 awg wire to the battery, what else and how do I hook up the powered sub to the factory HU. Never used a powered sub before, thanks for any help.

13. Jun 10, 2020 at 10:19 PM
    CLVol1255

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB
    You’ll need to use the same size ground wire as power wire and as far as the powered sub to factory headunit you’ll wanna tap into the front left or right speaker which will be white for left and gray for right. The rears are highly attenuated so stay away from the purple and green speaker wires.. I’d also fuse your power wire within 18 inches of battery and personally I’d just ground it At oem ground point at the front of either of the front seat(whichever you install sub under).. that’s it

14. Jul 9, 2020 at 1:19 PM
    dmun2

dmun2 New Member

Member:
  15. Jul 23, 2020 at 11:05 AM
    DACOMA3

DACOMA3 Member

Member:
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 5lugger
    Fabtech 3" Spindle Lift Kit, 16" Ion Alloy Wrapped in A/T Toyo Open Country 265/70R/16 Smoked Tail lights, Trim Black Rear/Front Bumpers and Grille Blacked Out Badges, 13" AntennaX Off-Road, Redline Tuning Hood Struts
    Love this Sub. Perfect sound and thump for what I was looking for in my single cab. I used Velcro strips to secure mine behind my seat
    IMG_5824.jpg

Evlkarl likes this.
To Top