1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My attempt @ a 2 to 3 drop ... ... more or less...

Discussion in 'Street Trucks' started by 07TacoRidah, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Jun 29, 2016 at 9:36 AM
    jad3d

jad3d Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 BSP XR
  2. Jun 29, 2016 at 2:04 PM
    weazleburger

weazleburger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    07 base reg cab 5-speed
    Thanks for the link bc I've never seen these djm offset bushings
    -Know if they're tacoma specific or for all djm arms?
    -Ever use them?

-Any info on your front coilovers and what you used instead of xii performance ones?

3. Jun 29, 2016 at 9:47 PM
    jad3d

jad3d Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 BSP XR
    Been using the offset bushings on my djm ucas for the past three years with no issues. The link description says they are for all calmax arms...three years is a long time so I don't recall if I had to trim the bushings or not.

I'm on my phone now so details would be tough to type out but basically I used all QA1 parts and bolted it to the stock strut top hat (no custom top plate like the xii kit). I had to grind away some of my lower shock mount but in hindsight I know what I need to do to keep from needing to grind anything and still bolt up. I'm debating doing the "improved" version since what I have on now is working beautifully. If you look at my avatar you will see that I am not using a custom top plate...instead I leveraged the stock configuration. For me, I am fully satisfied with it.

4. Jun 30, 2016 at 4:55 AM
    weazleburger

weazleburger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    07 base reg cab 5-speed
    Glad that you've been using the offset bushings for couple years bc I'm going to order some now that I know they'll work.
    I looked at your avatar closely and that front qa1 setup looks really nice. I'd be interested in info of this improved version too.
    Undecided on whether to add xii performance drop coils to my djm arms or coilovers to get about 4-5" in front.
    These offset bushings will hopefully help reduce the camber that will exist by maybe 1-2* maybe

5. Jul 5, 2016 at 9:49 PM
    07TacoRidah

07TacoRidah [OP] SHHHH, this is interesting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Base Model Access Cab
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
    I did the ABS disable mod. It helped a little but the sound is still there at times. I read on here that someone changed their drum shoes but I'm not sure what kind of shoes they got. I forget if that fixed the problem (although I do plan on swapping out the OE shoes... yes I still have the shoes I got on it from the dealership when I got it, lol), also I realized that the rim size could also be a factor. I mean yeah the XR has a OE 18" rim... but ... the base model has a 15" (hoping that the rim/tire combo that are OE on both match up. Example, total diameter of the XR rim with tire is about the same as the base models).

I'm not trying to get rid of the camber, I like it actually. I even upgraded to Work VS KF rims with about a 5" barrel up front and a 6" one in the rear. I forget my offset but the width is 10" front, and 11" rear. I took all the wheel spacers off and this is how she looks as of now. Tire size is 225/40/18, might change it to a 215/40 all around. I think I'm at about -4* camber again. Before when I had the Asuka rims on, I was wearing out the inner wall close enough to the text on the tire, now without the spacers and new rims up front I'm back to wearing out most of the tread (I check it frequently so I know when to flip/replace the tires). As soon as I roll the front fenders, I am going to put back the 1" spacers up front only (put them on when I got the VS KF's, but it rubbed on the fender so bad, not even a block away from the shop, had to turn around and take them off asap).

Another update; yes I was going to do a coilover set up all around. I thought about it a lot and it IS possible. But then I started to drag too much. It's fairly low atm to where the crossmember to the tranny and driveshaft .... has seen better days before I got a hold of the truck. I have helper springs in the back which make things EXTREMELY pleasant ... but I with that came the need to adjust here and there cause of the roads and speed bumps. Plus the driveways these days... SO SO unfriendly to the lowered. I am getting closer to bagging it (I know it's been ages I've been saying this). I finally got around to taking of the top fitting to this medical oxygen tank I got from a friend, even got the adapter fitting so I can use npt fittings on it. Just need to find the brackets for it, and get the front worked out. I have all these ideas and concepts for this and that... no time and well ... money in general isn't at it's best rn. But pushing harder for it and getting closer. I have to reinstall my air compressor (NEVER going with a plastic bowl on my water trap, found out that the Craftsman trap I was using had a nasty crack on it's bowl which was letting out a bunch of air. Swapped it out for an SMC metal bowl so all is good, just need to reinstall).

For the most though, suspension and that GOT DAMNED brake noise are on the top of the list. Once I get that done I can work on the interior again (I might do a Star Wars theme with working light saber shifter, wish mine was stick so that each time I shifted you would hear the light saber noise but since it's auto, I'm just going to get it to make that noise when they first let out the saber... hope that makes sense, when I get the truck out of park/or in park. So... when I hit the brake to shift out of park, it makes that noise. When I put it back into park, it makes the noise too ... cause I'm like using it when it's not in park and when I'm not... get it? Hope so lol. This is later down the line, but I am sure I will change the theme.

As far as slamming it... I might as well. but shooting for a nice stanced look to where it's low but not too low cause I have seen what it looks like when it's full frame on the floor. I didn't like the front as much. I'm still not liking the front bumper and how it's shaped. Makes it look horrid from the front, but like a rear side view and it's BEAUTIFUL. I'm mainly going for the tire tuck into the fender with a fender roll.

TW_Post.jpg

pinktaco808 and IronPeak like this.
  6. Jul 5, 2016 at 9:52 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
    forgot, I also changed the front and rear light housings. I got both from K2 Motor Sports or something, the $200 or so retro's (not bad, I modded some H1 HID's onto a socket I got from iJDMToy which is working perfectly, lol. Also got the HID bulbs from iJDMToy). I also put in LED's for the turn signals (have resistors for all 4, iJDMToy once again) and did the GY6 backup bulb mod ... well it's not really a mod ... but ... I did do it :D

7. Jul 6, 2016 at 10:23 AM
    jad3d

jad3d Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 BSP XR
    Your negative camber is way more than mine (way more than I would care to run also).
    I swapped out all my bulbs too (except for the headlight bulbs) to LEDs and the load resistors were a must since there's no 12 pin LED flasher relay. On 18 inch rims with 255/45/18 I sit about 26.75 inches off the ground in the front with -.8 camber on both sides (from last alignment after installing the coilovers).
    [​IMG]

This is the side view. DJM control arms, custom front coilover, street tacos offset/tapered 4 inch block. This is about as low as I want to get it because any lower and I rub bad especially on the front end. Rubbing though is minor compared to the suspension travel lost from going lower than this. I went from helper springs, to helper bags, to airshocks and finally to the qa1s in the rear. The qa1s in the rear alone outperform the helper springs, the helper bag and the airshocks. Sure I lose the ability to lift the rear end with the bags or airshocks but I prefer the handling of it with just the qa1s when loaded. I carry 4 extra batteries at 75 pounds each, four 12 inch subwoofers and sub enclosure that all take up my bed space and the qa1s have handled it way better than helper springs or bags ever did. Granted, the body kit makes it look lower but factoring in the tires rubbing the inside of the wheel wells this is low enough for me. My cross member braces have also seen their fair share of rubbing on my garage entry. Any lower and I would have to do the wood plank ramps and I don't have time for that. Oh yeah, in this pic there's some dirt on it. Daily driver, what can I say.
    [​IMG]

8. Jul 7, 2016 at 6:49 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ROFLMAO!!!! I'm already ahead of you on that one. I have 3 2x4's in the back for when I roll up to one of the spots I work at. The driveway is just AWEFUL for me. An old co-worker had a 240 slammed to the ground and he would have to take off his front bumper and fenders JUST to make it up the driveway to park. Since I usually go in at really early times or late as all hell (when most of the ppl are gone) I don't have much problems with laying the 2x4's out on the driveway. At first the security at my job questioned why I was doing it and then was okay with it as long as it didn't' cause problems for others trying to get in and/or out of the driveway.

I was looking at some QA1's on eBay and there's kits out there but the shock looks short (I found one with 550# springs, but are for GM models). How long are your shocks? I want to do a coilover bag strut. If I take away my 1" spindle spacers, I'm back to 3" up front. Which isn't bad. I still have 4" of travel to play with on the strut bags. So ... positioning will be vital for this to work out the way I would like it to.
    As for the rear, My Pumpkin kept on hitting the bed and eventually clipped the e-brake/ABS wires, had to rewire those but the pumpkin and this bracket that held the wires is knocking the bed bad. I'm trying to get it up at a shop so that I can notch the area that's knocking bad so I can finally sit straight instead of semi slanted (you can tell ... well I know I can, that the pass side is slightly raised v. the driver side).
    I rolled the rear fenders a little, enough to let me lower it some and not have it rub. I still have to take out the fender support bracket though. Have yet to get around to that.

Have you contemplated putting rear disc brakes? I saw this video on Youtube for the Pre-Runner conversion, but ... ... why not the 5 lug? I know there should be one for the XR ... there's gotta be one.

Taco_Post03.jpg
    Taco_Post02.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    LogCabins and pinktaco808 like this.
  9. Jul 7, 2016 at 7:02 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I was messing around yesterday with the homies mudflaps from his integra. In all honesty... I actually liked it for some reason. It wasn't that long, and with just a little modding here and there... I think it'll work

10. Jul 8, 2016 at 12:24 PM
    jad3d

jad3d Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 BSP XR
    The rear disc conversion isn't in my to-do list...it's not even in my "want" list. As nice as it may look I'm just not inclined to pursue that option anytime soon. The QA1 shocks (especially the coil overs) are a bit on the short side but considering that QA1 makes most of their shocks geared toward on-road applications I don't see the lengths being an issue. You would have to measure your front-end and get the closest shock length QA1 has available. Summit Racing is the best place to get QA1's price and shipping wise.

11. Aug 30, 2016 at 9:31 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SO after almost selling my truck to whoever the hell had some cash in their pocket, I figured out how to get rid of that stupid f$%*&#g brake noise. Basically disable the ABS and just clean out your drums regularly (it really depends on your driving), I'm guessing and just cleaning it each time I change my oil. I cleaned my drum out two days ago and even though the shoes look like 2 pieces of paper lol, the noise is GONE!!!!!
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::militarypress::militarypress::militarypress::militarypress::militarypress::jellydance::jellydance::jellydance::locked::locked::locked::locked::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::taco::taco::taco::taco::yes::yes::yes:

12. Sep 14, 2016 at 9:41 AM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    NEW NOISE!!! lol, yeah it's one thing after another with this. So after getting rid of the brake noise, there is a new one. I am assuming this is either coming from the ebrake line hitting the driveshaft OR that weird cup thing (where the trans and driveshaft meet up) is grinding like it did before when I didn't offset the drop blocks (basically when you lower the rear, the driveshaft pushes forward. With the DJM and Beefy blocks, they corrected that BUT to an extent... since I have the DJM kit, my drop goes passed their offset). It's a little noise but VERY annoying one. A constant tick/squish like noise. I really hear it the most when I'm in an enclosed area, like a driveway in an apt. complex, or like when I'm rolling next to the street islands.

Thinking of "trimming" that weird cup thing so that the ticking will stop.

13. Oct 8, 2016 at 5:46 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    weird squeaking has been fixed, new tires up front.
    front bumper cover is off atm, hit something... ... had to bend some brackets back .. close to it, and then glue stuff... for the most it's back to normal but going to leave the cover off cause I like it off. lol. New grill coming in, already got some new momentary switches so I can start up the air ride again. I am probably going to order more switches cause I saw how to do a DIY power window using the OEM actuators or what have you.

14. Oct 9, 2016 at 11:10 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    contemplating on making some kind of bash bar like bumper.

jad3d likes this.
  15. Nov 12, 2016 at 7:22 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    What the lowest you guys went no matter camber or not lowest static ?

16. Apr 10, 2017 at 7:41 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    laying frame was my last build. I'm not sure the exact drop, I went with bags in the end and just let that bitch scrape!

On a side note, the back has been bagged since I was last on here. Working on the front, got parts on the way and hopefully I can find someone that can roll my fenders. Need to go 1" wider up front but can't till my fenders are rolled.

17. Apr 10, 2017 at 7:45 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    My man Dex what's up?

Glad to see the build still rolling :woot:

18. Apr 10, 2017 at 7:48 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    JEREZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT's good ???!!!! not much, puttin in MAD work to get this done. I want to get it ready for WEK Fest at the least.
    WHERE YOU BE AT??? I'm still rolln your grounds :burnrubber::bananadance:

19. Apr 10, 2017 at 8:27 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    I'm around there all the time...
    But I live in diamond bar now.
    That's good to see the truck still going. Looks great :cool:

20. Apr 17, 2017 at 6:04 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ghetto ass coilovers lmao, nah building my strut bags

pinktaco808 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top