1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Audio Install w/pics!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ilovetacos, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Jun 2, 2009 at 11:53 PM
    ilovetacos

ilovetacos [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    I haven't done anything like this since high school (10 years). :eek: I was a little hesitant at first but once I started it all came back and came out well. I have learned a ton about car audio recently by just researching different forums and websites.

I started with the single TacoTunes 10" box but I wanted to mount my amp and crossovers next to it and use the 70% side only of the rear storage. I figured I could save time and money and buy a single 10" box and make my own amp board to attach to it.

First thing I did was cut out the plastic storage bin. This really didn't turn out how I liked but it will still works. I wish I would have left more of the "inside-panel" intact (see pics below).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before the final finish and test fitting the amp mounting board.
    [​IMG]

* I coated the amp board and plastic storage surround (both sides) with rubber undercoating for texture and then I used "Plasti-Kote Truck Bed Liner" to give it a hard finish and desired look. It all matches pretty well with the Line-x TacoTunes box.

Paint still drying and dark in a couple spots but it matches real well with the box!
    [​IMG]

The board is attached to the box with (2) 2" bolts/fender washers/nylon nuts and a couple 1.25" wood screws.
    [​IMG]

Final finish and fitting!
    [​IMG]

Products used to coat the board and plastic storage. A little pricey at $7/can. I used 2 of the rubber under coating and almost 3 of the bed liner. Did about 2 coats of each product. Not sure if it would have been cheaper to have a shop line-x it but oh well...
    [​IMG]

Now on with the install...!!!

Removed all interior panels. Bed makes great storage place during the install!
    [​IMG]

Started with the front doors. Fat Mat on inside panel of door and on inside exterior of door panel. Painted my TacoTune adapters black and mounted to the doors with bolts and nylon nuts. I also used foam weatherstripping in between the adapter and door and also around the outside of the adapter.
    *Image Dynamics CTX 6.5" components
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On to the back doors. Ran out of Fat Mat after doing the front doors and rear sub area! :frusty: I will eventually get the rear doors lined with Fat Mat because it made a huge difference. Again I used foam weatherstripping in between the adapter and door and to around the exterior of the adapter.
    *Image Dynamics CTX 7" Coaxials
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and now the hardest part! WIRING!!! I routed everything as clean and simple as I possibly could. Used a ton of shrink tubing, wire loom and about a 1000 zip ties! NO DUCT TAPE! :D All Tsunami products used.

I need to get a distribution block for the multiple wires I have going to the battery to clean it up a bit. Used a Rockford Fosgate Battery Terminal for the negative post and will eventually get the positive done once I get a distribution block. Also used a Tsunami Digital
    Fuse Holder.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mounted crossovers
    [​IMG]

...and finally installed my amp and sub! Had to remove the plastic panel on the seat because it was rubbing and vibrating pretty good.

*Alpine PDX5 amp and Image Dynamics 10" V.3 Sub
    [​IMG]

Alpine 9887 and Sirius tuner installed about a month ago. Still trying to figure this deck out. I kinda regret getting the deck (got it used for good price) because it's a little over kill for me but I like all the features and the Biolite display.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall I am very happy with all the products I used. Everything is done except the fine tuning with my deck and amp. :goingcrazy: But it does sound awesome with the tuning I have done so far!

Update 7/18/10 http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/103200-blue-sea-fuse-block-install.html
    [​IMG]

angeldavid216 likes this.
  2. Jun 3, 2009 at 12:01 AM
    Kenny650

Kenny650 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Definitely a clean install. Reminds me of the JL Stealthbox.

3. Jun 3, 2009 at 12:10 AM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    Beautiful job. Me likes!

4. Jun 3, 2009 at 9:28 AM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    nice job. I am getting ready to finish off my install in a couple of weeks and can't wait. See this just amps me up even more. weeeeeeeeeeee

5. Jun 3, 2009 at 6:29 PM
    acozzens

acozzens Well-Known Member

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver
    Michelin ltx m/s WSU (cougs) License Plate Holder $1.99 Gate Theft Mod DIY HU install DIY SWI-JACK install DIY rear speaker & baffle DIY ipod audio/video interface DIY HD radio DIY Alpine pdx 5 DIY front components install DIY RedLine Tuning Gas hood lift ( very slick ) DIY slimcubby gb hid head/fog DIY extang trifold trifecta DIY dynolock tailgate lock
    Good job, great post.

6. Jun 3, 2009 at 6:50 PM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    very nice

7. Jun 3, 2009 at 7:18 PM
    bigyetti

bigyetti Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    asheville, nc
    Vehicle:
    08 taco dc 4x4 short bed
    sirius satilite radio, more on the way when i get more money. oh ya removed the secondary filter
    Nice write up. I will definetly tackle this one day.

8. Jun 3, 2009 at 7:42 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    Glendale, CA
    =p
    Nice write-up and system.

How much did the fat mat cost, and aren't you worried about taking the weather barrier completely off the door? Or isnt it necessary?

9. Jun 3, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    ilovetacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    Not really, the fat mat acts as the weather barrier now. :p All of the holes are covered with the fat mat.

The fat mat was $45 for 25sqft on ebay.

10. Jun 3, 2009 at 8:02 PM
    phynyx38

phynyx38 Believe

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma PreRunner
    Great write up and pics. Looks very clean. Makes me want to do mine now.

11. Jun 29, 2009 at 9:44 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Hey man. I saw in another thread you needed help tuning your system with the 9887. I want to help you out in any way I can. I had a 9887 in the IS300 that I just sold to get my Taco so I'm very familiar with it.

Tell me how you have it set right now. From my basic understanding you are running two sets of speakers and a sub. Front channel is for the components and the rear is for the coaxials correct?

Do you know if your deck is in 3 way mode or not? When you press the A.sel button right under the volume knob, then go to crossover settings. How many options do you have in there? Do you have....

1) LowL LowR, Mid LowL Mid LowR, Mid high L Mid HighR, and High L High R
    or
    2) Low, Mid, High

Or something similar. Tell me exactly what your settings are and I can help you out. You've got a great install going and I'd hate to see it go to waste because of a few tuning confusions.

12. Jun 29, 2009 at 9:47 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Let's use this picture for reference with the buttons....don't tell sonic I stole their pic!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Jun 29, 2009 at 9:49 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    Great setup!

14. Jun 29, 2009 at 10:28 PM
    ilovetacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    Thanks man! Ok, here we go...

"From my basic understanding you are running two sets of speakers and a sub. Front channel is for the components and the rear is for the coaxials correct?"
    -Correct and 5th channel for my sub

"Do you know if your deck is in 3 way mode or not? When you press the A.sel button right under the volume knob, then go to crossover settings. How many options do you have in there? Do you have...."

1) LowL LowR, Mid LowL Mid LowR, Mid high L Mid HighR, and High L High R
    or
    2) Low, Mid, High and L=R

Right now I am using the Graphic EQ because when I tried using the Parametric EQ I didn't understand what adjusting the bandwith was actually doing (1,1.5 and 3).

My HU crossovers are set at:
    LOW: 80hz @ 12db slope
    MID: 125hz @ 12db slope
    HIGH: 200hz @ 12db slope

I was using the 24db slope for the MIDS and HIGHS based on the DIY Audio thread I read but found the 12db slope sounded better.

My amp settings are set as:
    1/2 channel: GAIN=Almost MAX, FILTER=HP, CROSSOVER=160hz (not sure if this is correct or not?)
    3/4 channel: GAIN=.5V, FILTER=OFF, CROSSOVER=160(again not sure if this is correct?)
    SUBWOOFER: GAIN=Almost MAX, LP FILTER=80hz

Thanks in advance! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

15. Jun 30, 2009 at 7:19 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    From what I've read it seems like you are using way too many crossovers in your system. Generally, you want to only use a crossover (LP or HP) once on a set of speakers. For instance, your component speakers have 3 different crossovers applied to their signals, the headunit crossover, the amp crossover, and the passive crossover that is wired to them mounted by your amp. I already know where the big problem is but I wont spoil the surprise just yet.

First: Set your EQ totally flat since we need to start at a base line...

We need to start by eliminating the unnecessary crossovers. The passive one we will keep because it is ideally matched to those speakers. The coaxial speakers in the rear doors have their own small crossover internally as well so they wont need a highpass crossover either. Let's get your headunit straight first since that can be done sitting down.

HU crossovers
    LOW: 80hz @24db
    MID: 80hz @24db
    HIGH: doesn't matter @ Flat

80hz is a good spot for most subwoofer crossovers. Some component speakers struggle below 80hz and too much higher than 80hz and you will be able to localize the sub fairly easily and you don't want that. I think that running your mids down to 80hz should be fine. As long as you use a sharp 24db slope you shouldn't get too much of a rise in response at the crossover point. I encourage you to play with the different slopes to see what sounds best to you. Don't set a high filter as we mentioned before because you have passive crossovers on the speakers themselves that will take care of that. So on the HIGH crossover set the slope to FLAT. It might give you a warning but disregard it because your tweeters are protected by the passive crossovers wired in. If the headunit WONT let you choose FLAT you will need to change another setting to allow you to do that. Push and hold the func/setup button and go into the Audio settings. Find something that says tweeters and it will say something about Makers' or Users'. If it wouldn't let you set FLAT on the tweeters before change it from whatever setting it is on.

The amp settings are what I think is killing your system the most. I elluded to it earlier and I think this will get you the midbass you want from your front components. Right now, on your components you have a HP filter set for 160hz. That means nothing below 160hz is reaching your speakers! This is the reason you have no midbass! Since we are going to be using the headunit for crossovers I want you to turn off all the crossovers on the amp.

This should really help out your sound a bunch. The car should sound much fuller now that you've tuned properly. If you want to learn how to use the time alighment we can do that too but it's harder to explain.

16. Jun 30, 2009 at 9:13 AM
    ilovetacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    ^^^^ I'll try this....It def makes sense now :eek:

Thanks again!

17. Jun 30, 2009 at 9:30 AM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    ilove, are the child safety hooks still accessible in your install on the 70% side?

18. Jun 30, 2009 at 10:11 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    You're welcome. Let me know how it goes. Hopefully that will make a substantial difference in the sound! You put in the hard work installing everything; ENJOY IT! :cool:

19. Jul 1, 2009 at 10:02 PM
    ilovetacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    No, I had to remove the hooks in order for box to fit.

[​IMG]

20. Jul 1, 2009 at 10:11 PM
    ilovetacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    I adjust everything as recommended but have a few questions.

Should I be using the HP filter on the amp or turn it to OFF for my components? I turned the crossover all the way down on my amp but when I adjusted my HIGH to FLAT on my HU I get a nasty distortion sound out of my tweeters. They sound fine at 6/12/18 or 24db slope with them turned all the way down and set to OFF on my amp.

Also on my component crossovers I can adjust them as follows:
    -3db, 0db or +3db
    Should I mess with these or leave them at 0db?

To Top